Buying Books Online or In-Stores?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Miaka_M • Oct 13, 2013.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    For those of you who purchase the old paperback/hardcover books, instead of the ebooks, where would you rather purchase it, online or in-stores? I know that purchasing books online is much cheaper than actually going into a store, but I prefer physically buying my book. I have to examine the back, the front, the spine, the pages; it has to be in the best condition possible and then I will purchase it. If there is anything wrong with the book and it's the only copy left, then I will ask for a discount. The cashiers usually get annoyed, but then I'm the one paying for it.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cashiers have a hard job. . .

Anyway, I don't buy my books in stores because then I'd have to pay the full cover price. I found out that digital books are somewhat cheaper than hard-print books. Of course the difference would be in if you want to keep the book for future generations. . .

I don't read a book more than once [these days] so it's best [for me] to buy an e-book online, read it and delete it once I'm done reading it.

3. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    If I know what I want, buying books on line is much cheaper. If I want to browse, there is nothing like physically going through the bookshelves. If you are buying from a retailer on line, I have not had a problem with the condition. I think there will always be bookstores, maybe more for used book,s since many make an outing out of browsing and viewing the condition. But as to new books, if you can pay less and have it delivered to your home, what is the incentive to go to a physical store?

4. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite place to buy books would have to by online without a doubt. I love how I always get the best deal on used books and sometimes I can buy as many as twenty books at a bargain and used price when in reality that same cost would equal me one brand new book. Therefore online shopping is the best place for me.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always purchase books in physical stores. The only time that I purchase books online is when I can't find them in our local bookstores. Unfortunately, I agree with you that sometimes, when buying books online, you can't check if the book is damage-free or not. I bought one recently and it had many scratches.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always prefer to get them on stores, cause I love to touch, see and smell them (weird I know - I love the smell of books). But I must say lately I will only get them online as ebooks. It's easier, more practical and usually a little cheaper. I still don't think you get the same experience reading an ebook as you do with a paper book, but in our busy lives ebooks come in handy.

7. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer buying books at the physical bookstore because I like browsing books. I am the kind of person who likes to search for new books and discover new authors. Physical bookstore has always created my shopping experience fun and exciting because I usually purchase 3 or 4 books. In addition, I can also be able to read the summary on the back of the book to see if I like it, because that's one of the reasons I like buying books at the bookstore. Also, I like the bookstore environment, which makes me feel like I'm at home.

8. EBcs

EBcsNew Member

Threads:
    sure, in the bookstore, that smell ,feel better at all,i like it too. but i'm always buying book online,why ?
    first of all: if i buy some books,i dont need to take heavy books go home, express will send package to home,that's so easy !
    second:buying books online cheaper than bookstore ,that's truly , no doubt!