Buying Bread Or Making One At Home?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by NicholasMukuha • Oct 4, 2017.

1. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to having bread for breakfast nowadays, I believe it is more of a necessity., than it is a luxury. However, we can choose between the option of having to cook, or rather one or rush to the nearest store and grab one from the shelves. Of these two choices:
    1. Which one will leave you healthier?
    2. Which one will leave you wealthier?

2. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    As a lover of bread, making your own bread leaves you both healthier and wealthier.

When you buy your ingredients in bulk, you save the extra cash of having to run to the store to get one. By making you bread, you are also in control of the kind of ingredients you use as well as the quantity. You get to bake your bread to the taste you desire.

3. DavidLee

DavidLeeMember

Threads:
    I often buy bread from the stores. I believe that healthier ones are the whole-meal breads made at home. White bread are made from sifted wheat which is later on mixed with preservatives which are chemicals obviously. But buying is rather cheaper than home making which is a whole lot of work, time and requirements to oversee.

4. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I'm very OK with both options. I love home made bread (oh, my... it's so good :D), but the comity of buying them ready can never be totally ruled out, right? :p

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For getting bargains when buying bread, locally we got Love's Bakery Thrift shop for day old breads and all their bake goods that I freeze to keep them. I love it when Safeway has bread sales on their weekly ads that's on their site. All you need is a Safeway card which is free to obtain from Safeway Supemarket...you may want to call them for it's been years since I got my Safeway card and things might have changed over the years to obtain their card. Walmart has a good selection of pop open baking goods too with very good prices to save money. I love bread too and look for bargains and sales all the time for bread and other baked goods!

6. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I have never made my own bread nor ever attempted to make one. In my opinion, it is just too much effort. Bread is relatively very affordable where I stay. I buy in bulk when my local bakery is having a sale and I freeze them. This works out much better for me than having to get all the ingredients and make by myself.

7. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly I haven't seen anyone here making bread at home. So I didn't know that it is easy to make it at even home. Can it make good difference in price compare to market's bread? If yes then yes it can give benefit to pocket. and yes it can be healthy too. I guess I have to search about the same on internet for the procedure. Thanks for sharing.

8. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Well flat breads will save you a lot of money if you learn how to make them because you won't even need an oven. All you need is flour, oil and water. They have less calories than most commercial breads and you can do it on the top of a stove. The flat breads you can do at home are soft shell tacos, tortillas and roti.

9. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I want variety when it comes to bread so I prefer to buy them from bakeries. Breads here are surprisingly cheap that most people don't bother to make their own. It's impractical to make your own because there is not much time in the morning to bake bread and it also always turns out to be more expensive because the oven is another high wattage kitchen equipment. It is also quite difficult to save on raw materials because buying them in bulk will mean allocating storage for them on top of the more important grocery items. In addition, we don't always eat bread in the morning as we are mostly rice eaters. In other words, baking our own bread is just too much effort for something that doesn't rank up too much in our daily diet.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Making your own food is cheaper and you get assurance of the nutrients not to mention that it is fresh and clean. However, there is the law of volume in cooking. There are only 4 people in our home and it is not practical to bake our morning bread. With 10 pesos, we can buy the bread we need for breakfast. That's just around 20 cents. But I agree that if you have a big family, say 8 or more and heavy eaters, that would make it practical for you to bake your own bread.

11. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    Eh, I prefer to buy my bread than make it. For one I am not that much of a baker or a cook so there is a chance I could wind up burning the bread or making it taste awful. Yes it is a bit more lazy to buy it than make it but the way I see it I won't have to worry about ruining the bread, wasting both time and money.

12. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I don't make bread at home although I would love to learn how to bake them. I make rotis everyday for our meals right from scratch and that is an important constituent of all our meals. So it is quite economical for me to buy bread from outside as we eat it only occasionally. And the kind of bread that we make at home, which is the roti, is any time healthier and better than bread that is bought from outside.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Really! But we make bread at home almost everyday maybe you give it a different name but we call it either parntha, Chapati or roti but it's our regular diet. We buy bakery-made bread too but that is always our second choice or when we are in a hurry. I love eating home-made bread in any case.

14. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know how to bake a bread. Therefore, there is only one option left for me - buy it from a store. However, we don't consume bread on a daily basis. We prepare our tradition chappatis or parathas for breakfast. Therefore, there is no need for me to bake breads.

15. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    When you cook your own food, including breads, you will always save money. Home cooked food is also healthier than the store bought foods. I make my own breads. It takes time, but I also save money as well as have healthy food to eat. making break is not very hard. All you have to do is mix flour with water and other ingredients and keep inside the oven. Home make bread is better than store brought bread.

16. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I'm really not very good at making my own bread so I do prefer to buy it. It's false economy if you make it yourself and then have to give it to the birds because no one will eat it! I used to work as a cook and we had a breadmaker in the kitchen but to be honest it usd to turn out pretty substandard stuff.

However, lots of people here say it's better and seem to be successful so maybe I should have another go at it.

17. Kieranlewix

KieranlewixMember

Threads:

The decision you make given these two choices is indeed based on the number of people in your house.Buying bread from the store is cheaper and requires less effort every day in the case where there are a few family members.It is more practical to run to the store everyday to get bread than bake the bread every other day.Most people I know who bake their own have a lot of time on their hands and have no financial constraints.They do not do it in order to save but rather because they love baking.In most cases,when you start to bake your own bread,your neighbors may like the idea and start inquiring if they can buy from you,and voila!,that's how you become a business owner.

18. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Okay, I guess I misunderstood here. I was talking about bakery bread. Can it be made at home? Or it is difficult task to make one at home. Yes parntha and chapati is the regular food we make here. I got confused because I never knew they are also called bread. Here I never hear something like that. So I don't know about it.

19. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I buy bread from vendors who sell them around the corner which is very convinient as I can buy them late at night near my house. I know buying it out is not the healthest option but I sure save so much time that way. I would love to make them some day but that is when I own my own oven that way I will know exactly whats in them.The breads are fairly cheap here so I guess I would spend the same amount either way.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes you can make them at home if you have proper molds and oven to cook them. You even get ready made stuff to just fill it in mold and place it in the oven. It's not a tough job making home made bread but I would still prefer tandoori roti (bread) or chapati over bread.