Buying CDs

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by vida_llevares • Oct 7, 2012.

1. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    Hi.

With MP3s now easily available online, do you still buy CDs of your favorite songs or artists?

2. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not. I actually never really bought CDs.. all I do with them is to rip them to my PC, and then they just collect the dust in the drawer.. Plus, I have to pay additional cost for shipping, which is more than the CD itself in a lot of times.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I really like the artist then I will buy their albums, since as a fan, you're after the cd booklet and the other bonus music videos and interviews that come with the cd. If I only like the song, then I'm content to just download the song instead.

4. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    From time to time I will buy a CD if I really want the album or if it's new. That's the only time I'll buy a full CD. Other than that, I use the computer to buy all my music digitally.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Eh, debatable. I do call myself a music fan, but other than a single band that actually has liner notes/story settings for each song in the booklet, I really can't care less for them.

6. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    These days you can download the digital booklets that CDs would have, so there's really no excuse for going out and buying a CD other than not embracing technology. Only people I know who buy CDs still are my parents, and that's because, well, they're old.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Same here. I never really got into buying them. I would burn them every now and then to be able to play in my car. But then they'd just get scratched up or lost in the dashboard somewhere.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know.. I just realized, aside from my DVD drive, I don't even have a CD player anymore. :D That's how rarely I use CDs.. :)

9. Cyrup

CyrupMember

Threads:
    Of course! I only buy online or download for free if I'm a bit 50/50 about an Artist, or not really minding to much. I will buy a CD or an expensive album online if they are a small band who needs the money.

Otherwise, I love CD's, but they're expensive, so I tend to only buy them from bands & groups I love. My mum has a large record & CD collection, so I take off a bit from her. I love pleasure of having a CD though, it's like a treasure.

10. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I buy most of my favorite music online through Amazon MP3 and iTunes.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't purchased a CD in a very long time. I used to have an extensive CD collection. I lost most of my collection. I could rival a music store.

12. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't purchased a CD in I think about two years now. All the music I listen to is usually public domain or can easily be found on YouTube. There's certainly no reason to buy CDs when you can get everything online to either purchase or steal (I don't steal, though). CDs take up too much space. I have a good collection for when I want to listen to music on the stereo, but I won't buy anymore.

13. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I was thinking about this as I ran across your post. I recently bought some older cds at a deeply discounted price, which was cheaper than if I had purchased the mp3 version. But other than these, I can't remember the last time I purchased a cd. Usually the mp3 version is more economical and Amazon always giving away free mp3's. With Amazon, you aren't constrained to the device you play your music on and backing up music to a flash drive is easy to do. But, many people do still buy a cd over an mp3.

14. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I would love the feeling of buying a CD and taking it home to open the whole package. There was something magical about opening the wrapping and checking out all of the artwork. Now you can buy albums digitally and see the artwork, but it just doesn't feel the same. You don't get that "new cd" smell. The last time I bought a physical CD was in a used record store in 2006. I bought one for $3 USD.

15. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    It's been around 3 years since I last bought a CD. Although admittedly like steph said opening a CD package and looking through the artwork and extra info is an experience that downloading an mp3 file just can't beat, downloading is just too convenient. We also live in a two bedroom condo unit so space is a premium and I just don’t have the space to store any more stuff.

16. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I still do! I want physical things. I have been a music enthusiast since I was in the elementary and the happiness that physical copy of the recordings of your favorite artists is different compared to just listening with it. Seeing the CD with all the pictires and album cover makes me feel that my money is worth for what I've got. :D

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still buy CDs sometimes too because I also like owning a physical copy that I can touch and I don't want to print out the booklet online. One of my favorite Japanese artists once released some of his singles in coffin shaped boxes. You can't download a coffin shaped box. A Korean band I like once released their CD with a DVD and a full sized photo book, you can't download a slipcase with bonus items in it.