Buying Clothes From Third World Countries

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Oct 24, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the clothes which are sold at ridiculously high prices [I've learned today] cost the companies very little when they buy them. They buy the clothes cheap, sew on a "care label" and hitch up the prices and make huge profits in the process.

While it can be risky to buy clothes from third world countries, if you can or have someone you know who lives in a third world country you should consider buying clothes from them. Walmart at one time claimed they'd be selling goods [clothes included] from third world countries on their site but it looks like they were merely floating the idea.

Question: to save money, would you buy clothes directly from countries such as Sri Lanka or Vietnam?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure I would. The prices are certainly tempting. But I'm tall and it's likely that clothes designed for the Eastern market would be way too short.

Stores who do use these third world suppliers often come under fire for the conditions in which the goods are produced - with cheap labour in sweatshops. It's likely that this has influenced Walmart's decision not to use them - it can attract a great deal of bad publicity.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many mass production factories are in third world countries whether we acknowledge it or not. Top designers use factories abroad and you cannot escape it. It is a catch 22 situation, these companies do provide work for the masses, and in the West they profit from it. Even if you don't think you are buying from these countries, the fabric maybe from there and assembled in another country.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I totally feel that way about things that are labelled "fair trade" too. I don't know who is regulating these trades and anyone can slap that label on their product and just charge triple. It's so hard to be an educated consumer these days.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm in Asia so it's actually not that difficult for me to track these items down. Our local walmart type grocery carries clothing items and they are mostly comprised of obscure brands that are very cheap, and since they are just shirts I usually just buy from there unless most designs are too tacky which I admit they often are so I tend to space out my purchases. The quality of the cloth is good enough especially for the price I get them for, but they do tend to degrade a bit faster or are just generally a little worse than expensive shirts, but it don't mind using them for home use or short travels.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in a third world country where, I believe, clothes are cheap. I have been to some other Asian countries and it is surprising to find cheaper clothes in Beijing, China and in Bangkok Thailand. I had a baggage full of clothes when I came home from Bangkok in 2013 and also last January when I arrived from Beijing. My recent trip to Vietnam last month also yielded a lot of clothes that I bought on a bargain price.

7. roarzie

roarzieMember

Threads:
    I would buy such clothes without any hesitation, especially if they're good looking and cheaper than the usual branded clothes we're so used to paying extra for, as long as the quality is good. The problem is that it's not that easy to find such clothes, and usually their quality is unreliable. With big brands you know what you're getting, while with small producers you're on your own.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I don't know about buying clothing from the 3rd World countries. I like a bargain and I like to buy clothes and if the 3rd World countries can supply good quality for a good price I might take a look. I like to buy from stores who have a variety of clothes. I like buying American, or rather I like buying what I can afford. Affordability is the bottom line for me these days.

9. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    The quality of clothes depend on the manufacturer and not on the country where you bought them. Some boutiques in first world countries like the US and Japan may offer low quality clothes with ridiculously high prices while some boutiques in third world countries may offer high quality clothes with affordable prices.

As for me, I'm more than willing to buy clothes from third world countries as long as their qualities are top notch/mediocre at the very least.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nowadays most clothing come from places like China, India and small Asian countries. They are made by people in extreme poverty conditions that are explored because they work a lot and are paid very little. The clothing then is shipped and sold for high prices, many times more than what they cost too be made.
    It's the sad reality, and I think we could go crazy if we didn't buy those because that is how the majority of the fashion industry works right now. You could choose to buy clothing, shoes and such from stores that make them in places like the US or Europe, but they cost even more and are hard to find.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in a third world country, and the clothes are cheap if they're not branded. If they are, they can be expensive. I avoid buying expensive clothes nowadays. The thrift stores are a good place to buy cheap clothes!

12. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    The quality is important. I know many expensive brands made in other countries because it is way cheaper. I buy low cost stuff. Things i wear in the house. Sometimes it is more comfortable to wear. If i see things and it seems interesting, I will buy it.