Buying clothes of smaller size than your actual size?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by 003 • Jun 6, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My cousins, when they are on weight-reducing diet, one of the things that they motivate them is buying clothes of the size that they want to achieve, smaller size. So in that way, they would be forced to really shed of those unwanted fat. I think it works, because it works for them. When somebody asks me a tip for ways of getting slimmer, I always include this tip.

2. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    I tried this once, didn't work for me even a little bit. It's been 7 years and I'm yet to wear those shorts.

I will admit it can be super good motivation though, especially for a very frugal person who just cannot stand the thought of wasted money. I just set too far of a goal..

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This method doesn't work for me. Then I get mad at myself because I wasted money buying something that I couldn't wear. I prefer to motivate myself by thinking about the new wardrobe that I will buy when I lose weight.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I think it can work for someone who is looking to lose weight and also very motivated. For most people I think this would be very frustrating, not to mention a waste of money. I know so many people who say they have a closet full of clothes that just don't fit.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Agreed with this. It's not a motivational tactic that works for me because I feel like I HAVE to try and lose weight in order to justify purchasing those clothes. And if I don't see results right away, I get discouraged and end up falling off the wagon a bit. For me, I've always taken pride in going shopping after I lose weight and buying clothes then. I don't have the money to by extra clothes that I wouldn't immediately be wearing.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For those who've gained weight or plan on gaining weight, maybe buying clothes that are smaller than your actual size could be good for you. But you see there are some people who may want to lose weight [burn off all the fat] in order to really bulk up [get more muscle on their bones].

For such people buying clothes that are too small won't help because you won't get to wear the clothes anyway.

7. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    I kept a pair of my favorite, smaller-sized jeans in the fridge for a while. I know, crazy. It didn't work anyway. If anything, I'm guilty of buying clothes that are too big on me so I can "hide" in them.

8. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I have lots of really nice thing hanging in my closet that are way too small on me, including a pair of Cabi pants with a $98 price tag that a friend gave to me. If you're trying to lose weight, I think it's better to buy a few pieces that fit you right now. If something is just a little bit too small and you are doing well with your weight loss, maybe, but to buy several things in too small a size is both wasteful and discouraging. At least to me it is.

9. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    Since I am not very fashion conscious, I'm not sure it will work for me. I don't think having clothes which I can't wear because I'm bigger will motivate me, just because I'd like to be able to wear those clothes. What is usually more effective for me is when I become uncomfortable with the added weight, for example when I have difficulty climbing the stairs because I get breathless so easily.

Although I perfectly agree with you. This strategy can be very effective for some people, especially if the clothes they wear are very important for them.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tried doing this a couple of times before and ended up losing the clothing because I never got to wear them. I bought quite expensive jeans one time which did not fit me but were the last ones and I really loved them... they are in my closet with the tags in to this day. I'm on a diet now and lost around 17 pounds, so maybe in a couple of months I'll finally fit in them? Regardless, I don't think I'll ever buy a smaller size again until I'm actually that size and fitting on it.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's a waste of money because in the past when I tried that, I ended up donating the clothes after years of never using them.
    Just buy clothes that fit you and focus on getting fit for the health benefits.

12. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds like my younger sister haha! She was the first person I've known to use this type of motivation when it comes to losing weight. She does very well but it just doesn't work for me.

My younger sister will not just buy a smaller size of dress but she makes sure it's very beautiful, tempting, and expensive to motivate herself even more :D

13. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes that goes wrong because finally that is the thing which want us to be good at buying i mean because its necessary in the same way when we are about to go ahead or moving in the correct direction when you buy something that doesn't fit you another thing can be bought which is fine enough.