Buying electronics online

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Zikkled • Aug 27, 2014.

1. Zikkled

ZikkledNew Member

Threads:
    Anyone else done this? I've found that prices on eBay are considerably cheaper than you can find at brick-and-mortar stores, even on their online counterparts. I bought my 3DS XL at around $120, new + refurbished by the seller, and it works perfectly and I'm generally very happy with it! Bought it on auction, since those tend to end up being cheaper than if you buy an item immediately. I always snipe-bid... forgive me!

I've also bought an iPod touch, again, at a much lower price than I was finding elsewhere (especially on the Apple site...) I bought it for around $200, I think? Not sure what it was anymore, but again, I'm very happy with my purchase, and it came with everything, the charger, earphones, iPod loop...

Anyone else tried this? How were your results?

2. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    Ebay and Amazon is really the only places that I shop online for electronics. I like that the prices are cheaper and some sellers usually ship faster than regular online stores. I personally do not participate in the bidding because I hate waiting. When I see a product that I like, I use the Buy It Now feature. I have known people that has bid on a product and it came out higher than what the Buy It Now price was because when the bids hit a certain price you cannot use buy it now.

3. Zikkled

ZikkledNew Member

Threads:
    That's great!! Yeah, the prices are a lot cheaper.

I've never seen an item go past the Buy it Now price, luckily, but if that ever happened I would probably stop looking out for it. I do tend to keep an eye on multiple items at once, maybe an option that isn't an auction too in case there aren't many auctions with that item, and if the current bid of the auction I'm watching surpasses that of another listing, I'll switch to another one or buy the non-auction listing.

I'm not really a fan of waiting either, but usually I'll sort the items by "Time - ending soonest" and I'll see a ton of results ending within the next few minutes, especially if it's a widely available item (like an iPod touch). Since some prices are cheaper than a "buy-it-now" listing, I'll wait the few minutes for it. It's really think it's worth it, you might want to give it a try!

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Electronics are indeed usually quite more affordable online. That is because you can easily access a bunch of stores at once and see where the price is cheaper, which makes the prices more competitive. Whereas if you go to the store it's harder to go to many stores at once. So stores charge more. Also online they don't have the physical store expenses. Bought several electronics online. I have already bought a blow dryer, my Smart TV, even my iPad. Thankfully still didn't have any problems with any of those. I think it's worth it.

5. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    If you live in the UK, I find that other online retailers like eBuyer also offers very competitive prices, and I have the peace of mind that the customer services are excellent. So unless I can find the equivalent item a good amount cheaper on eBay or third party sellers on Amazon. I don't mind paying a few more Pounds for better customer service and not having to hassle with returns if something does go wrong.

6. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really trust auctions when it comes to electronics, I'm pretty strict when it comes to that so I go to Amazon for electronics because I feel more confident shopping there.

7. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I find that auctions most of the time are not worth the wait as most of them are from private sellers, which provide no after sales service, as well as the price usually ends up pretty much the same anyway. I tend to buy off retailers on eBay that sells items in bulk and have a good rating so that in case if something goes wrong, at least I have someone to turn to, even if I end up paying a bit more for the items.

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do it a lot as it really is cheaper to get electronics online. I buy more on Amazon though since I often get a gift card from there and I still don't trust Ebay fully yet.

9. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I bought my psp and later my PS Vita from Ebay. I didn't have any problems at all with the shipping or the consoles when they arrived. You really have to check the ratings and have conversations with the person you're buying from though. A simple message asking about the state of the hardware or other things included with it go a long way to figure out what type of seller you're dealing with.
    As for Amazon I trust them completely since I've ordered quite a few videogames and other miscellaneous stuff from them. I haven't bought from any other store online, so I wouldn't know anything outside of the two services I mentioned.

10. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Yep. I buy a lot of my electronics online. If I want used then eBay is the first place I look. For new stuff I like BHPhotoVideo and sometimes Amazon. For a while Amazon didn't ship electronics to PR but now it depends on the item. Still if I find it on B&H for the same price I prefer B&H because they use USPS shipping.