Buying Food At The End Of The Month

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Jun 25, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure if this is true or not since I don't buy groceries either at the beginning nor at the end of the month. But I've heard it said that many stores raise food prices at the beginning of the month because food Stamps come out around that time and make fast cash they must. Towards the middle or end of the month they lower the prices slightly and that would be the right time to buy whatever you need in bulk?

Question: is it true that groceries cost less at the end or towards the end of the month?

2. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard that, but it would make sense to be honest. That way the store is still making money. I mean many people will go shopping each week for food. I know that when we buy food, we buy just enough for that week, then they go again the next week. That's what my parents have been doing since I've been away at college. But like I said, I could see them doing that. I feel like so many people go shopping then, that they would rise the prices.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I couldn't really answer that question for you since, to be honest, I have never paid attention to it. I buy food whenever we need it, and I usually look for the freshest food on offer. There are often specials during the months, 20% off certain products here and there, that I make use off. But it's all very much a sporadic thing with me.

4. cmjblue

cmjblueNew Member

Threads:
    I have heard of stores raising prices at the beginning of the month and giving deep discounts for people who receive food stamps, social security and other benefits, however I don't know how true this is. I have noticed that many stores run there best sales at the first of the month and product availability is scarce during this time.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't really noticed this, but then again as others have noted, I haven't really been on the lookout for it either. The only thing I did hear with regards to day of the week as that Wednesdays are usually when grocery stores mark down stuff like fresh meats, which are nearing their expiration dates and they need to sell them off asap. Supposedly that's usually the best day of the week to snag markdowns on that type of stuff.

Also certain seasonal events can cause fluctuations in the prices of otherwise expensive items - for example, drumettes and wings are in high demand leading up to the Superbowl, which leads the grocery stores to get stuck with an excess of thighs and breasts, that they often mark down to sell those off too.

It would be a bit counter intuitive though to raise the prices at the beginning of the month - if I were a recipient and caught wind of this, I would just wait until the following weeks to buy my groceries, and just skip that first week of the month.

6. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Are there that many people using food stamps in your area that the demand is enough to warrant putting up the food prices? I have never ever heard of this idea, doesn't really sound very ethical too me.