Buying food on Amazon

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Stephanie • Apr 20, 2012.

1. Stephanie

StephanieMember

Threads:
    I try to eat healthy, I really do, but we're a family of 7 which makes a lot of organic food out of our price range. It's sad, but a box of nutty bars is cheaper than a bag of apples. At least veggies are more affordable.

2. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    Won't do it. My food needs to be mostly fresh, not frozen or packaged.

3. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    I have only glanced through Amazon's food stuff. It seemed like they were too expensive for someone in my budget range. I agree that it would work for those specialty items that are hard to find though.

4. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    I buy specialty foods from Amazon that I can't find here or if it's cheaper, like smoked Paprika and Digestives biscuits, but not often and it's a treat when I do. The thing is, I'm really, really lucky to live in Seattle because Amazon is based here and there's a program called Amazon Fresh, which is a grocery delivery service. A lot of the products are local (not all) and you can also get some select Amazon.com items (like movies, books, kitchen stuff, toys) added to your grocery order. It's really handy when I'm busy. But, I'm also lucky because we have lots of farmers markets and coops and organic grocery stores and grocery outlets and produce stands and just lots and lots of choices for buying food. I don't always love living in a big city, but this helps make up for it.

5. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't purchased food from Amazon yet, but I am thinking of ordering some things that are hard to find in stores here, like mchuzi mix. I think that ordering food from here might be expecially beneficial for someone who has trouble finding time to get to the store (maybe an accountant in tax season), or for someone who has a lot of trouble with impulse spending in the store. Fewer trips to the grocery store equals fewer opportunities to impulse buy!

6. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    Totally agreed. I think just like you, I love fresh food and I wouldn't change it for frozen or packaged food. The idea of thinking on that is repulsive to me. However, I know some people who buy this kind of food... but I will never do it.

7. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I'm always a little nervous to buy food on Amazon because from what I read, it's either hit or miss. I was tempted to purchase a protein powder from them because it was about $7 cheaper than the store's price. When I read the reviews quite a number of people were saying that the product wasn't fresh. I've also read bad reviews on a meal replacement drink that was mailed in the summertime. Supposedly, the drinks smelled rancid. I like to look at the expiration date before I purchase a product. Unless it was a deal that was too good to pass up, I wouldn't purchase food.

8. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Well for me its the newness of it all that attracts me. Sure I can get Strawberries and Cream
    oatmeal at the store, but I've done that a thousand times already. I like ordering food online, and if
    the USGrocer was available in my city I would never go to a grocery store again.

9. Ziggybrah

ZiggybrahNew Member

Threads:
    I remember seeing food for sale on ebay, the whole concept of it just groces me out. Even clothe shoping online doesn't apply to me. You never know what you're getting it. Why don't you actually order your food from a supermarket. It's not cheaper but if you're lazy thats for you!

10. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't suggest buying food on Amazon because you have no idea how long it's been sitting in their store. I would call one of those services that deliver your groceries to your home. I think it's called Pink Dot, but they bring groceries to people who can't get to the grocery store. I can't imagine someone getting a box of cereal in the mail that's just weird lol.

11. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't do this, it just seems odd and a danger of food poisoning. You are trusting some random person to have your best interest at heart and I just don't have that kind of faith.

12. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    I would never buy food on Amazon. No matter how busy I get, I'd rather drive to the farthest grocery store in my town rather than some random stranger on the net preparing my meals. Better be safe than sorry. Food is definitely not on my what to buy online list. I like my food fresh from the frying pan.

13. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I would buy some of my food items from Amazon, but I would never really think about this before because the food is always pricey to me. However, if the price does come down I will start to get my food from here to avoid the crowds at the store.

14. Moneysaver93

Moneysaver93Member

Threads:
    If I buy any food off of Amazon, it would have to be something unique as well as something that couldn't be found in any local stores. Plus, it couldn't be super expensive to buy. I just don't see the point in buying food online for a higher price, when you can just go to your local store.

15. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know you could buy food on Amazon! No I won't. When it comes to food, I buy from the grocery store and the local farm markets. I also have local butchers if I want to get fresh meat that is locally raised. I have not bought anything on Amazon so I definitely wouldn't consider food from there. But this is just me.

16. Dr23

Dr23Member

Threads:
    I've only bought one food item from Amazon in the past and that was mostly a novelty item (Dunkaroos). They do sell plenty of packaged items in bulk but typically I've found that their prices are pretty comparable to what you might find in the store. In some cases their bulk items will even be more expensive than what you might find at a warehouse store like a Sam's or Costco.

I don't see any issues with buying from Amazon but there isn't any clear gain unless you're searching for a product that isn't available in your area.

17. Ja'cobeC

Ja'cobeCMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy food from amazon because I hate waiting for stuff to come in lol. I rather go to the storeand buy my food.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't usually buy regular groceries from Amazon but I buy specialty items like Japanese candy or Korean noodles. You're not going to save money on buying supermarket food from Amazon, but they're okay for buying ethnic foods that you might not be able to easily buy in your neighborhood.

19. cabenb

cabenbMember

Threads:
    I would only buy bulk packages. Guess that's the only way to profit.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess another reason that someone might buy food from Amazon is if they had a free Amazon gift card from Swagbucks or one of those sites and they needed some groceries, and didn't have the cash to buy them.