Buying Gifts Early

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by DrRipley • Jan 7, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually want to buy gifts as early as possible because that way I don't have to rush when the occasion finally comes. Also it helps a lot for holidays like Christmas because I get to cross off a lot of my gifting responsibilities early. Although the one thing I worry about is that I may have to return some of the items for one reason or another and if I buy the item too early then chances are by the time I realize I need to return it the option might not be there anymore due to store policy.

Do you buy gifts early? How do you deal with returns when it comes to advanced purchasing?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! Now is a perfect time to buy gifts. But it depends on what kind of gifts you buy. One must be careful not to purchase items with any sort of shelf life. Even lotions can have a possibility to begin to separate depending on what they are made of. But here are some of the gifts that you can often find on sale this time of year that in my opinion are timeless:
    picture frames
    sealed scented candles
    thin scarves for women
    handkerchief and tie sets for men
    classic toys for children (like porcelain dolls and toy trucks)
    puzzles
    perfumes and aftershaves
    wine is also a nice thing with a shelf life that can be bought on sale and then used for dinner invitations.

3. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that it is good to purchase early when possible, and also that it's best to avoid items with a shelf life. However, I'd also say it's very important not to buy a gift for a person that there is ANY chance they might decide to purchase for themselves first. I've had that happen a few times and it's always a really unpleasant experience.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really go out to look for and buy gifts. i only give gifts if I strongly feel like doing so, like if I have seen something that it fits to be given to a person who's very special to me, like my best friend. But even in special occasion, if I am not able to see that would be meaningful to my friend, something that I know wouldn't really be that of worth for her, then I'd really not give her any gift at all. But sometimes if there's an item that I've spotted that my friend would really be glad to have, then I buy it and give it as gift even without any especial occasion.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    When you do buy your gifts early purchase them with enough time allowed to return it. That would alleviate some of the anxiety but not all because you'd have to find another gift to replace the one you returned.

6. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Same! I've had it and seen it happen, the way someone buys something they think someone will love, and then the unwrapping comes and the awkward moment of, "OH, I bought this exact same thing / the same kind of product but a better version a few weeks ago". Mortifying.

This is why I usually buy things people would enjoy but not necessarily buy for themselves.
    And this is why when someone tells me they bought me something for Christmas I stop buying stuff for myself until then. Just in case!

7. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    It is a great idea to get gift buying out the way as soon as possible, because this saves you stress closer to the time when you give the gifts out. Many people fall into the trap of last minute shopping, which puts you at risk of not being able to find certain goods or paying more than normal. While gift buying for those closest to you may seem difficult because you don't know what to get them, some staple items such as festive chocolates are massively reduced in price following Christmas. As such, it would be perfect to buy them now as opposed to waiting until later to buy the same thing. Thinking about gifts for those you are closer to can start now, although you may not actually have an idea until later on. Still that beats the last minute panic of buying anything.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's fantastic idea, but I've never actually mastered the art!! I agree that you have to be sure to have ample time to return the item should you have to. My husband and I always plan to buy gifts all through the year just to be better organised and also to sort of spread the costs. This is less stressful and you don't feel the pinch as much as when you buy in a rush right before Christmas. Plus everybody else leaves it too late, and the malls get too crowded and annoying. All through the year you see so many sales and promotions, so it makes sense to buy gifts when most people are still along way off from doing their Christmas shopping. I wish we could stick to this plan and actually do it, but most times the budget just doesn't allow it :(

9. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    We buy gifts early as well. Maybe around June or July when the mid-season sale starts in the Philippines. We buy clothes, home decors, etc. This practice helps us save money instead of buying gifts during the Christmas rush which is when prices inflate because of the huge amount of people who are also into buying mode. Buying early ensures that we're well prepared by the time Christmas comes and we won't experience any hassle from buying at the last minute.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never buy something I"d have to return to the store for whatever reason. As I mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I only buy gifts for kids. So toys, a picture book or any nice book I know a kid will enjoy I'll normally buy any time between January and October. By October, I'll have bought all the gifts I intend to buy this year.

11. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I will always pick up some cards and wrapping paper in the sales, because they are just as high quality as the ones that you will be able to buy when December comes, but yet they are at a fraction of the price that they will be later in the year. I don't like to buy lots of gifts, because I usually forget that I have them, and then go on to buy more things anyway, therefore it ends up costing me more money rather than less. However, if you were very disciplined, and knew how much you usually bought for each person, then you could certainly spread the cost of Christmas quite well. If ever you see things that could be used as generic gifts, it might be a good idea to get them because that means that you would always have something that you could give to people. I have a couple of people's birthdays early in the year, and I will always pick up some chocolates and smellies in the January sales - there's no point in paying over the odds for things when you could get a much better deal.