Buying in bulk

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Jessi • Jun 8, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    There's no doubt about it that buying products in bulk can save you a ton of money.

What items do you tend to buy in bulk, though? How much money does it save you and how do you handle storage and space issues?

2. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I've been thinking of buying sodas in bulk to save some money. We did it at school to sell them at a price a little higher than the price per unit one and realized how much we could save every day!

3. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy rice in bulk because it's a dish that goes with everything. I buy my sweets in bulk also because I like to have a snack after dinner. I save a lot of money buying rice in bulk because the normal 5 lb. bag costs about $5. I can get a 20 lb bag of rice for $12.99, so it's worth it to me. I don't stock up on too many bulk items because it takes up space. It's a little difficult to find a place to put a huge bag of rice, but I manage to do it somehow.

4. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I buy the big packages of frozen chicken breasts from Costco. It is not really cheaper than finding them on sale at the grocery store, but it reduces the number of times I have to go to the store. That alone is a money saving strategy for me.

5. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    We buy bulk items from Costco but you have to be careful as they aren't always the cheapest in pricing. You have to know what you are after and what the other stores are selling at. We also go to a bulk barn every so often and pick up cereals and snacks like peanuts etc and stock up.

6. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I always buy canned foods and instant noodles in bulk because when I was living alone, I am too lazy to cook so most of the time when I am too lazy to go out to eat, I just open canned goods and that is already my meal. I could save a lot really from buying in dozens.

7. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy in bulk thinking that I am saving some money. Then I realized that when I buy in bulk I tend to use more of the product. Take soap powder, for example. When I buy it in big bags, I tend to use more when I do my laundry. So now I find that I actually save money by buying in smaller sizes. Unless the difference in price is tremendous.

8. Jessi

Threads:
    Hmm, it sounds like you have issues with portion control then. When it comes to buying things like big bags of chips, I usually recommend for people to put it into small ziploc baggies so they don't get tempted to eat more of it at once, just because it's there. You might have better luck doing that with your soap powder, too. Maybe take out half of it and store it in a closet where you can't see it. Or only have a small amount available on your shelf in a small container so it doesn't look like there's as much at your disposal.

9. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy so many different items in Bulk, b/c thats what I always see at the whole foods store.
    And it was kind of hip and cool. However I was getting some granola and cranberries like I always do and
    I saw ants in the Granola bin! I don't know how often they change it, but I know its not often enough.

10. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    We don't buy much in bulk because just being the 2 of us we found thing would expire before we coudl use it all. As far as non perishable items like paper products and the like my husband works for a discount retail store that sells that kind of stuff so we buy it from there.

11. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    I buy all my pantry items in bulk. Much cheaper and I have stackable plastic containers to store them in. For example, a 16 oz can of McCann's steel cut oatmeal is at least $5, but I buy steel cut oats in bulk for 99 cents a pound. Same for lentils and split peas and beans and quinoa and polenta... Oh, and you can't beat the price of bulk nuts. Of course, the thing with bulk pantry items is that you don't have to actually buy them in "bulk." For what you're probably talking about, I buy ramen noodles by the case and Costco size boxes of yogurt containers. Those both get eaten pretty quickly around here.

12. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I buy toilet rolls and kitchen paper in bulk when they're on special offer, because it saves at least one third of the regular price - sometimes more. I have no problems with storing them, as I have a large cupboard in the bathroom that is virtually empty. I also buy stuff such as rice and pasta in bulk, as there are good savings to be had. I'm pretty strict about portion control, and if I should coook more than we need - say when we have visitors - I'll eaither freeze what's left for another time, or make a rice or pasta salad with the leftovers. That way, I don't wipe out the bulk saving by using too much and wasting it.

#12Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  13. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    When I'm at Costco, I usually end up buying in bulk things like napkins, paper towels, toilet paper, etc. to save me multiple trips to the store. That and so I don't ever have to worry about running out since I can just buy more when I see that I only have like 3 rolls left. Consumables though, I buy things like cereal, soy milk, canned foods, and rice in bulk because I can burn through that stuff rather quickly.

14. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Funny story. I saw a show on TLC or some channel about people with crazy habits. Anyway, it was a person who bought paper products in bulk every time they were on sale becaus ethey were non-perishable. They had converted an entire guest room into storage for the paper proucts and it was over-flowing.

They took it all out and figured out they had enough toilet paper to use a roll a day for the next 30 some years. Now that's taking it to the extreme!

15. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    No, we do not buy in bulk. I am aware that you can save plenty but although I have no portion control issues, I live with family members who do. So, it can be pretty annoying. But certain items, if they are on special, especially canned items: yes, we buy and store...like condensed milk etc...

16. Jessi

Threads:
    That definitely is. Sounds like it's time for them to start selling off some of that at a discount to friends and family then. They could make a little profit in the process, too, without having tons of toilet paper just sitting around.

17. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    What I do when I buy in bulk, in regards to storage is put away what I can fit in the cabinets and such. Then the remainder, is nonperishable items, get packed away in a sense into the closet. For any perishable item, I check my freezer and refridgerator prior to going shopping so I do not purchase more than I have room for.

18. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I will buy my toilet paper in bulk, paper towels, rice, flour, instant potatoes, and candy. Once I make the purchases it is roughly five hundred bucks, but I am done buying those items for about 6 months to a year.

19. DontFan

DontFanMember

Threads:
    Oh as much as possible in bulk !!
    A short list: flours, dried fruits, dried vegetables, candies, cleaning liquid, peanut butter ... endless !!
    And of course, it is cheaper but it is not just cheaper. Buying in bulk is usually better for the environment, less packaging, local products ...
    Now for storage, we invested in clear plastic containers ... Have been with us for nearly 10 years and going strong !!

20. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Ditto here! I get as much as possible in bulk. I use a lot of glass canning jars to store dry pastas, beans and flours. I freeze fruits, veggies and meats. I don't get as crazy as some folks but I do like to keep a well stocked pantry.