Buying 'lots' Of Clothing

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Diane Lane • Apr 12, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A 'lot' is a grouping of usually related items that are all sold together in one transaction. Often, you can get some great deals by purchasing this way. Sometimes the items are new, and other times, they can be gently used. Buying in lots is a good way to save money on items for yourself or your children or grandchildren.

I've purchased lots both for myself and others in the past, and recently bought one for myself. The package arrived the other day, and I couldn't be happier. The shipping is also usually lower than it would be if you'd purchased the items individually, so there are additional savings that way.

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've bought lots of clothing before from store sales although I've not seen that for a long time here. I know you can buy children's clothing in lots on sites like eBay though and if I had the need to buy lots of children's clothes I'd definitely take a look on there. As for adults though they tend to be lots of only a couple of items. Where do you usually get lots from?

3. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    This is a great tip! From where I am, what we usually do is do "bulk" orders. My friends and I choose items from a certain website that we like and then order that "bulk." Then, we split the shipping fee based on how many we are. This way, we can save money because we ordered a lot of items and also because we can split the shipping fee. It's a good way of buying items that you need without worrying about the shipping fee.

In some websites, there are promos or discounts as well if you buy lots of items. Many times though I don't need such a lot of items. That's why I either ask my friends or my sister if they also like some items in the online shop. And if they do, we can order together and avail the discounts.

I find that with cosmetics shops, they aren't too greedy with discounts or samples. That's why I love shopping for cosmetics online. You can get a lot of freebies especially if you buy lots of items from the shop. My sister is a certified makeupholic so I always ask her if she wants to buy some cosmetics before I go through with my order. We also split the samples within ourselves.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Briannagodess@Briannagodess My family and I would always do the same with Avon, Tupperware Pampered Chef, etc., just do it all in one order, since it was a lot easier, and usually the shipping was less costly.

I tend to buy my lots on eBay, but I think I've seen some listed on Bonanza, as well, and possibly also Etsy, although I'm not sure they refer to them as lots there.

I got two lots recently, a set of 2 shirts, and another purchase was for 4 pairs of pants. I'm very happy with both, and the shipping was free on one (the 2 shirts) and very reasonable for the 4 pairs of pants, especially considering three of them were jeans.

5. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    It is true that one am purchase clothes in bulk and get a good discount due to economies of scale. But clothes are durable items and some people might not have a big budget for clothing. You may also discover that you have bought alot of items in one store at a discount only to find the individual items in another store cheaper than the items you bought at a discount. The best thing is to scout for sales and bargains.

6. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I agree that buying in lots does save some money. I have bought yarn in lots off of places like ebay. It's also nice that often times I can find a lot on sale with free shipping as well. Since I'm the only one buying yarn in my house, I don't have another person to share shipping costs with.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The biggest supermarket here called SM Hypermart usually have promo items which are bundles. Situated in the center aisle is the gondola of different bundles. There is the pack of pasta with cans of tomato sauce and cheese powder. Even the big Coke bottles has a partner often with crackers. I never miss that "saleboat" because as long as I can use all the items in the pack then there's big savings.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a small family and don't take advantage of bulk buying. I'll look into it though for I love saving money. Some come with free shipping too, what a deal! Here in Hawaii we pay extra for shipping everywhere. It's good to know that you can get good things in bulk or bundle too. Thanks for the tip.

9. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    I personally buy lots of clothes when I really have the money for it, otherwise I just buy a single pair of pants or a shirt, it all depends on how much I am carrying with me in that moment, the only thing I personally like from those lot purchases are the discount that you get, that is my opinion though.

10. Cassie Lyons

Cassie LyonsMember

Threads:
    I've never heard of lot purchases before. Where do you find them? Do you know whats in it beforehand? Are you able to mix and match for items you want? Seems like a good way to get a lot of clothes to donate to those in need.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is brilliant, especially if you have access to those types of offers. It's a lot easier to find them in the UK, and even easier I'm sure in the US. Sadly, over here we have very greedy retailers whose focus is mainly the bottom line, lining their pockets. That's why I sometimes resort to ordering online from my trusty UK online stores, as opposed to locally. Even with the income duty, it can work out cheaper!!

12. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have purchased clothing for my children like that before and books as well. I think it sometimes easier to do that than paying for a bunch of different auctions. I like doing this for my children's clothes since they will be similar and oftentimes they will be sets that go together. It is definitely better on shipping costs than buying separately.

13. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought a lot of socks one time on Amazon, and I bought 12 pairs of socks for what the price would be retail for two or three. I haven't tried buying other lots of clothing though but I know there are some great deals to be had. I will have to check ebay. I know thred up can be a good place for clothing lots.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even in Ebay defective bulk items are being sold or auctioned. I've seen lots of working and defective phones being peddled there. There are also stores in here that sell items in bulk, but I don't really go there.

15. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    I believe that the term you were looking for is "en gross", however I haven't bought "lots" of clothing so far, as I've never found myself into the situation of having the necessary amount of money to buy a "lot" of one t-shirt for example, and then still be able to buy others t-shirts for variety.

16. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I do this with clothes and also office supplies, and I will then sell it on to other people for a small profit per item. It is a slow burner as far as earning is concerned, but over the course of a full month I will make perhaps an extra $100 from doing this, and it doesn't take me very much time at all as I am always driving past the post office. It is something to consider, and if you happen to find the right niche then it can certainly work very well for you indeed.

17. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    Here in the Philippines, a 'lot' is mostly clothing items. We don't know what we're going to get so sometimes resellers would buy two to get more chances of getting items fit for reselling. I've bought from resellers and the items are mosly from the US. I'm not sure if these are from thrift stores or shops that unloaded old stocks but quality of the clothes are mostly good and some even looked brand new. This is also why we have clothing stores called "ukay-ukay". If I have the capital, I will probably get into this business.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree, I think this is a great way to shop as well. It's true that you may get a lot of unwanted items along with the lot but even with just the few good ones you could more than consider the purchase already worth it and this way you even have a few more items left over to either sell or give away or even just keep as backup. This is also a method that can be used for other goods too like makeup which I often see listed in online sale sites, and the prices always seem fair to me.

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ive never used that strategy when shopping for clothes because I normally buy clothes only for myself and occasionally when the clothes are to be a gift for someone who I know won't get angry that they received a shirt or pair of pants as a gift. The way I save money on clothes is by buying gently used clothes.