Buying music

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by violino • May 9, 2012.

1. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    Where do you buy music? Do you buy whole albums or just a few songs? Do you do it online or in a stationary music shop?
    And exactly WHERE?

I must say I don't buy CD's at all. Sometimes I buy a song or two online (kill me, I can't remember where was it...). I think it's because I don't usually listen to the whole album but I play random songs so it'd be uncomfortable to change CD's all the time.
    But I'd like to buy them online, cheap, if it's possible..

2. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I don't buy CDs at all. I used to buy my songs from Amazon Uk, 29p a song, is too much of a bargain to ignore. Now I am in Canada it is 99c a song, which is very expensive for my opinion, so I don't actually buy anything. I just listen to Grooveshark online.

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    It is possible to buy music online for cheap. I have seen whole albums for $1 digital download, but I never sure of the legalities etc. so I steer clear of that.

What you could do is go to the website of the artists that you like and buy the single there, some artists even give free samples as a gift for checking out their sites. Many are adapting to the digital age.

There are lots of deals to be had. Back in the day I used to buy CDs at HMV and Virgin Music etc...no more though.

4. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely ever buy my music in CDs. Maybe to gift a friend, but nothing else. I mainly stick to artists who sell online through sites like Bandcamp or something. Maybe I'll buy from Amazon if I feel the need for a particular song. iTunes just doesn't work for me on this computer.

5. MEGATRUCK

MEGATRUCKMember

Threads:
    I usually just download songs from YouTube. I don't need full albums half the time, anyway.

6. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    It depends if I like all the songs on the album or just one. I usually check out the album online and listen to the samples of each song before I decide if I want to buy the whole album. And I really only buy the album because I want to know that if I totally wipe out my music list on my computer or MP3 player, I haven't lost it completely. Most of the time it is cheaper just to buy the single songs you like.

7. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Sigh I have not bought a song in sooo long! I don't download either. Its just that I haven't really had the need to. Let me explain. Whenever I am driving I turn on the radio and listen to whatever is on. When I am in the mood to hear something that I really want to hear I just go to youtube and listen to it there.

8. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Usually I just buy them one by one from iTunes. For my favorite singers though, I actually buy a physical copy of their albums.

9. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't paid for a song or album in quite along time. When I did it online it was from eMusic. Since then I have been using Hypemachine to find blogs where I can get songs I like for free. Other then that Google has gone along way to helping me get whole albums for (literally) nothing. And before anyone says anything - it's legal. I'm cheap not stupid.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I still buy physical copies of albums, but this is mainly because I'm a performer, and some of my favorite artists are people that I know personally and see on a fairly regular basis, and It's much easier to just hand them the money rather than trying to look for them online or in a store.

11. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:
    I buy the CD for collection purposes and I still have a vinyl collection,those are priceless.

As far as online music goes it don't buy any...

12. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a disc guys so even if itunes is not the new trend, I would still buy the whole album. I like to collect discs of my favorite bands. It is not really that expensive because I only have two favorite bands which are Third Eye Blind and Smashing Pumpkins. So far, both bands do not have new albums yet so I can still save up to the time they come up with a new album, I already have the money.

13. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I love my ipod. It's in my purse and I take it everywhere with me. I only buy my songs from itunes. I don't think I've ever bought a whole album though. I just buy the songs I like individually. When there used to be only cds, I didn't buy that many and I would get bored of them sometimes because I didn't like some of the songs on the disk and didn't want to listen to them. I am so happy they came out with ipods. :)

14. Syd Arthur

Syd ArthurNew Member

Threads:
    I am a Dj and a record collector so most of my music I buy in vynil format. I love the digital age though and thankfully most records now come with a free download code too so I can put all my music on my ipod. Some of the old stuff I have backed up with a record player with a usb attatchment and used software to convert it to mp3. This is very time consuming but is worth it. If I sit down and listen to a record I record it at the same time.
    People might think this is a long winded way to go about it but I heard recently that if you buy a track over the internet and download it to your ipod, technically you dont own that music. That is to say, if you die it is illegal to leave your digital music to someone in your will. I can leave my record collection to whoever I like! I heard about this on the radio as Bruce Willis was writing his will and he wanted to leave his digital music collection to his children and he was told by his lawyer he wasn't allowed to.

15. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    The last soundtrack I bought was Silent Hill 3. That game is totally awesome. Akira Yamaoka is definitely one of the elites.

16. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I feel that music is something the majority of people cannot get enough. I know that I cannot go a day without music myself. When a new single comes out on itunes I would normally try to buy it. I feel that the music should receive the desired recognition that it truly deserves from every person. Unfortunately, most people would rather download it free from various sites.

17. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't usually buy music, because I don't agree with the distribution system most bands/labels use. I don't want to pay $10 for a CD, and then another $10 for shipping, just to rip the CD to my computer and then never touch it again (because I listen to all my music from the PC). As far as digital distribution goes, most companies distribute the music in low quality lossy format (256kbps, I mean, really?), for the same price as the actual physical disc, AND it's a pain in the butt to find a shop that would sell to my state. So, I only support the small, independent bands that can give me exactly what I want; good quality for fair price, and immediate access to my content.

18. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy mp3 music files now :D I actually just ask my from brothers and sisters if they have it and if maybe they can share it to me :D I once bought in amazon and that was just a single file and never again. The prime reason is that the bands that I like to hear aren't found in amazon.

19. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I have not bought an entire album in years. I normally buy my favorites songs through iTunes and Amazon.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The last time I bought an album was in the year 2004. I might buy one again if I see something on sale, and if I like the artist and the songs on that album. I haven't bought any song yet online though, but I plan on buying one right now since it is part of a movie soundtrack and the song is quite hard to find.