Buying new towels

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Peninha • Sep 8, 2014.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I just buy the cheap basic plain white bath towels at Wal-Mart, as well as their bar towels for my kitchen. Not only can I use bleach on them to get out stains without having to worry about colors, but I don't feel guilty throwing them out if they get too shredded and torn up. Plus, since they are much lighter and less bulkier they take up much less space in my closet and more importantly in my washing mashine.

My aunt several times bought me sets of these really expensive, huge and heavy Egyptian Cotton towels, which seemed nice at first until I realized they took up almost my whole washer. I could only wash like 2-3 of them at a time which was costing me a lot of money in quarters not to mention detergent. They also took up way too much space in my closet. I don't need a towel the size of a bed spread to dry off with when I get out of the shower, a simple basic bath towel works just fine.

I would say I usually replace mine every 3-5 years, depending on how stained they get or how torn up they get. Some washers will pull on the strings and make holes in them unfortunately, and in some cases I may have an emergency where something spills and a small towel wont cut it so I need to use one of my bath towels to contain it and clean it up, after which I often have to discard it.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been using my towels for more than a decade, but I have 3 and they're are on rotation, so they're not 100% used most of the time. But now I only use 1 and that is the Canon towel to specifically wear it out, but it still is quite absorbent. I guess a towel's lifetime depends on how you rub it to your body. I rub it lightly, while my bro's towels get dark and thin and raggedy-looking after a couple of months, while mine still looks ok after more than a decade.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's my case as well sidney, there is no point in buying new ones when we have more or less 3 like you say to each person. We use the towel for one week or two, we wash it and it rests for another month or so, so they really last a long time.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You wash your towel weekly? I wash mine every couple of months, depends if it's getting dark due to dust. I'm sure you also lighty rub the towel on your body right? I just blot it on my body most of the time. I noticed that if you rub the towel on your body like a washcloth, it will wear out in a couple of months like my brother's towels. My towel doesn't even suit my adult body now since it's a child's towel, hehe.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, not weekly, it just depends on the use it's been receiving and if it has caught some dirt for some reason. Either cases two months it's a long time too because it gains a certain smell even if we dry it outside, so it depends. LOL, why are you using a child's towel sidney? :D

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in a tropical country, so fabric dries fast over here. I'm still using the towel that I used when I was in grade school and high school, and I noticed that it's not as long as the other towels that I see over here, so I think they're children's towels, lol.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Lord, unless you are buying top of the line towels and have so many of them that you aren't using one or two sets every week, I can't imagine ten year towels. I usually buy Ralph Lauren and I still replace them out frequently. I don't even know how you can wash them regularly and they make it ten years. It's time to get some new towels and you should have at least 14-21 towels in your home.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haha, seriously Sugar? LOL!!! I live in a small flat, with my wife and two kids, we are literally packed, so to have 21 towels at my place I would need to kick one of my kids out! :D Now seriously, I am doing fine with a couple of towels per person, no need for more.

9. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I buy new towels whenever the old ones are looking worn out. I have had my current towels for about two years. I usually rotate between a lot of towels. So, they seem to last quite a while. The ones that I currently have seem to have a lot of life left in them. Washcloths on the other hand, are a different story.

10. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    We don't buy towels often. I have been using two towels for last 2 years now. They have lasted pretty long. I am planing to buy some new towels soon though. It will be the first thing I do when I go out shopping now.

11. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I cannot imagine that you are so good at keeping towels. Mine cannot last for more than three months because of the humidity in the bathroom. I replaced my towels quarterly. I think you can continue using the towels without the need to replace them. You may have it cleaned with washing powder in case you feel worrying about the hygiene of those towels.

12. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    It's been a long time since I have bought any towels. I honestly have towels that I haven't used in years, they aren't even in my linen closet, they are either in boxes in my garage or in a closet somewhere in my apartment.
    I use the same towels over and over again, I wash them in bleach and detergent, dry them, and they're good to go. I have those kinds of towels that you're talking about, the huge, only 3 to a dryer type. They suit me just fine for everyday use, but I also have some thinner, cheap ones that I use as well, but for various other things, not as bath towels.

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, I think that happens with everyone Winnie. Most people receive towels when they get married or we get them from our parents when we move out, everyone seems to have extra towels all the time and towels seems to last forever! :)