Buying Older Tech To Save Money

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Denis Hard • Jun 25, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I saw on ad recently on a site. They were selling old computers at ridiculous prices. But old doesn't mean obsolete tech. The specs were impressive but because newer, supposedly better computers are available anything that isn't new will be classified as old. If I need a new computer I'd prefer the so-called older machines and save a substantial amount of money.

Before forking out your cash to buy whatever new device is on the market find out if the previous generation is still around and buy the "old tech."

2. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Well, this one is a little tricky, because the labeling of "old" can really vary from person to person. I personally consider everything older than 6 months to be obsolete, tech wise, but given your actual situation you would disagree and tell me that you consider something obsolete only if it's passed 3 years, for example. Statistically speaking, a computer becomes obsolete after about 6 months when something better gets released, and this vicious circle continues for a very, very long time.

Nevertheless, I agree with you there, it really helps to save that buck in a dire situation, but those of us who get computers because they must earn a living with it, can't really relate to your statement IMO.

3. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    Older goods don't get old in a hermetically sealed pristine space. The price does not drop just because the computer lacks the cool factor of being the latest brand (although that is certainly a factor). It s also because it has been (somewhere?) being used by (someone?) getting (malware? Liquid damage? peed on by a cat?). Even just being kept in an unheated storage unit can cause insidious damage to the hard drive.

I would generally only buy a used computer if it was reconditioned by the maker and offered under guarantee.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I have never thought that older mean obsolete as it's still possible to run MS-DOS software in the most outdated computers you can think of, and yet do your job of today, regardless how rudimentary could be the graphic card of an older monitor if, as in example, you can manage more efficiently a client database using such and old software than using the latest Windows 10 app.

And this is not hypothetical thinking, I've have the opportunity to run and old direct mail marketing program which is freeware and was made for MS-DOS that doesn't longer work on recent operating systems, but which is way too much better than any commercial application I have tried today. And this worked over an Intel 80286 computer

I have also bought technology based on Pentium 386/486 as an emergency backup computer when I got previous computers worn out and no money to replace them for modern technology.

5. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    You an actually find some good electronics that are used. I have found a couple good sites out there that have good smart phones that are cheap. You can even choose the quality of the phone that you want. Honestly, in today's world why would you want to spend hundreds of dollars on devices like that? They are so expensive. The problem is that so many people want the new technology that is coming out. When in reality they could get the same phone for a lower price. I know that eBay has good deals on electronics all the time.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That sounds really interesting to me. What is the name of the site that you were visiting? I don't really need the latest technology as long as it doesn't become obsolete within at least two years. As long as it works well, I am not very fussy when it comes to technology. I have only basic requirements. Also, buying a cheaper, older product will give me time to save for something more up-to-date when a need for it emerges.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy things just as new model is launched as the prior model is them reduced and isn't really that old either. This is okay for phones and laptops because stocks are still high and support is available for them. I don't like newly launched products as often there are bugs and I would rather other people discover them first which is often the case with laptops and software compatibility.

8. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As with most things, it depends. If the tech item, whether a computer or smartphone or whatever, is more than two years old, then chances are very high that it's an obsolete item. That's when you'll really start to notice a device's age correlate with lower performance and lacking capabilities. Basic users won't care about this, but anyone that wants to get something done will notice right away.

9. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the times, computer users underutilize the processing power of a computer. A 1-year-old computer need not be a taboo. It can get all your work done plus gives you huge savings. I'd still buy one, if the specs are satisfactory and suffice my work requirements.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that old doesn't necessarily have to mean obsolete. I don't make too much money, and when my phone has stopped working in the past, I have gone for older models because that was what I could afford at the time, in terms of a replacement. It had all the features that I used and needed. I find that with a lot of the features of newer stuff, I don't actually need the features.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My purchasing power always depends on my budget. I won't mind buying an old pc if it has a decent warranty. I just bought an old 2nd hand CPU and it won't boot after 16 days. The warranty was only for 7 days, so I now have to pay for the repair to the technician that sold this to me if I decide to his services.

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy a lot of my technology used, and have never had a problem doing so. Well, I probably had a few issues, but have dealt with them, and learned something about the equipment, in doing so. Sometimes the older items are made better than newer ones, so it could end up being a blessing in disguise. I also sell my tech devices once I'm finished with them, and there's a market for pretty much anything and everything.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree, old tech is a little overlooked and undervalued especially if you consider that there are some uses that an old technology items might be better for rather than using something new and expensive which might even end up doing only half the things the old tech could do. For example, if you are looking for a living room PC for your home theater, you could opt for a small mini PC or a tablet that costs a few hundred dollars but for the same price you could just buy an older PC and upgrade some parts and you'd be able to do much more with it than e limited features a mini PC might be able to offer.

14. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    If you have the technical ability to upgrade, fix or otherwise work on the item then it can be a great way to save money.
    For instance I always get old smartphones unlock the boot loaders and root them. Then you can upgrade to a newer OS and overclock them.
    You can do the same with computers and laptops, upgrade them or clean out useless junk and other hardware/software mods to keep them running well.
    My desktop is over 10 years old and still very usable!