Buying Or Borrowing Books?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Sydney M. • Jun 11, 2016.

?

Do you buy or borrow most of your books?

1. I buy most books.

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. I borrow most books.

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  1. Sydney M.

Sydney M.Member

Threads:
    Do you prefer to buy or borrow books and why? I personally prefer to buy books for school (anything I think I will need to write in/highlight), but any other books I will either buy at a thrift store or borrow from the library.

2. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on what type of books I’m looking for. If I need a book that I’m going to use for some time only to be discarded later like a textbook, I prefer borrowing the book from someone. But if I’m looking for a book by an author that I truly want to read, I would prefer buying the book. That’s the bookworm in me talking.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you can borrow the book then borrowing most certainly is cheaper. However if it's a book you will need to be reading every day for a couple of months then it is better to buy and hope that once you are done with it, you can sell it and use some of that money to fund another purchase.

You could also try looking around the net for a free book. There's a probability that you might find it somewhere and download it free.

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I borrow books, because I know that I am only ever going to read them once and then give them back, so I never bother to pay money for them to buy them. I have a few friends who are in a book circle with me, and we pass books around, and we usually find that we actually have plenty to keep us going without ever having to pay any money for them at all.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a large collection of books that I've been paring down over the years, in an attempt to downsize. There are some that I just won't give up, because I have had them for years and plan to re-read them, but these days, I prefer to borrow most of the books I read from the library, or obtain the electronic versions for free via Kindle. I have come across a few that I really like and will probably re-read, and those I don't mind paying for, but right now, free is in my budget, and I don't want to add printed books to what I will end up packing and moving eventually, unless they're really good quality ones.

6. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    There's even another way. I tend to read books right in the store If it's comfortable. If I go to the store with a sole purpose of reading the stuff for free, I usually read one chapter per day. So, this is how visiting a bookstore becomes part of my daily routine.

On the subject. I'm kind of a person who borrows the most. However, If I really like the book = I will get my copy of it. And, probably, the one with the coolest design ever. Worth it, really.

7. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I normally borrow books if i have a friend who has already a copy of it and if i really like the book, i'd buy a copy of my own since i love to keep copy of every books i enjoyed reading otherwise i'll just return it and forget about it. lol Lately, I've been reading ebooks too and they can be easily downloaded for free so thanks to ebooks, it makes it easier to read the books you want.

8. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I buy most of my books, but I try to find them used if I can. If not, I go digital, then physical copies if I really want that for some reason in particular. It's rare though for me to want that.

9. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well there are pros and cons to both, but I am the type of person who likes to have books on the shelf, so I do like to actually own them after I have read them. That said, though, I do realize that it is not really a good use of money so I have to decide carefully on which ones I should keep, and for other ones borrowing them is a good way to give them a test run.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to borrow books and if I really like them and need them for life I'll buy them. The library has book and dvd sales once a year too and you can get things at this sale for quite a bargain! Some libraries that I go to have a perpetual sale for some of their things in the library you can buy if you find something you'd like to buy.

11. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I borrow most books from the library. If I find one that I really have to have for my collection then I buy it on Amazon. If I am browsing a book store I might be more inclined to buy. I am less tempted to buy books when I just browse online, but if I am in a shop and I can see and hold it then the wallet is coming out!

12. johndee

johndeeMember

Threads:
    I am an avid reader and at any given time when on my own, all I can do is read. In fact, I do make sure to spare some time for reading. I read as a hobby and also for learning purposes.

I used to buy all my books until a time I started wondering what to do with the huge collection. Being a person who hardly re-reads a book, I had no use for almost the whole lot.

So I decided to approach a local used books vendor to dispose most of them, except for a few that I valued. For what they had cost me over time, what they fetched was meagre.

Since then, unless I value a book or will always need it for future reference, I would rather borrow than buy.

13. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I like borrowing books because I already have an extensive collection of books and no place to put them. If I really love the book then I'll buy it, for example I've been trying to find a copy of Le Petit Prince. I borrowed an edition from the library that had activities and extras in it and I've been looking everywhere for an identical copy but have yet to succeed. (I even considered stealing the library's copy lol, but don't tell anyone.) Anyway, with most other books I prefer to borrow them, especially college textbooks because those are expensive and I won't be using them for a long time.

14. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a voracious reader. I used to buy most of my books. I had a huge collection of books. I used to joke about opening up my own used bookstore.

Now, I borrow most of my books. If I find a book valuable entertain or information wise, I will buy it. This saves me a lot of money. My local library regularly buys new books so I don't have to spend a lot of money on books.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer to buy if it's something I consider to be a personal classic. I am the same way with most other media like music and movies. I it's just something I know I'm just using to pass the time and it's not something I consider that special then I'm okay with just borrowing it but if it's something I know I'll like very much then I feel better knowing I own that item and could then put it in with my personal collection. For most other average items I would just rent or borrow or at the very least just wait for a big discount before buying or just buying them used because to me they are just extras that I can do without.

16. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the book. If it is by an author that I really like I will buy it just in case I want to read it again. Most times though I will borrow from the library or I will find some cheap ones at garage sales or the thrift store. That way I am not out a ton of money. I am trying not to let my book collection become too big but sometimes, I cannot help myself. Lately, I have been downloading free books from an email subscription that I have. It gives me a list of free books each day that I can download and some of them have been quite good. I have way more in my Kindle list than I will probably get to in the next 5 years. But it is better to be prepared for occasions that may require spending time waiting like at the doctor's office.

17. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever buy textbooks. Most of the time, I try to find a PDF version online, and if that fails I rent the book from Amazon. The only times I have purchased textbooks are when I visit my local library where they sell old editions of textbooks for about a dollar. I don't use most textbooks for that long anyways since I only need them for about a semester at a time.

Books used for reading pleasure are a different story, however. I like to reread books, so I prefer buying these books so that I can revisit them whenever I want.

18. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    Usually when I read a book, it has been suggested to me. And since I often read to learn something, I usually also want to earn the book. However, I feel guilty spending money on books since I could have probably checked the book out at the local library. And that is what the library is for: to borrow books for information or entertainment.

19. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    For me, lending or borrowing books is a bad idea, at lest when you are borrowing it from your friends. In a library, you have the pressure to deal with a time limit to returning the book or face the consequences. Your friends can even forget about the book you're borrowed from them, that happened to me with a friend of mine that moved to another town and both of us forgot about
    the book I lent to him: "Dark Tower by stephen king". Of course, now I realized
    it but now he is thousands of miles away.

20. kokimboka

kokimbokaMember

Threads:
    I mostly borrow books. Its good to have friends you share the same likes. Most of my friends like the same kind of books like me,so we normally exchange. If I have to buy a book then it has to be worth every cent.Recently a friend forwarded like 900 e-books to me. I don't think a'l be going to the bookshop anytime soon.