Buying Restaurant Cards Via Ebay Or Amazon

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jason76 • Mar 14, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes, we might run out of cash but still have some sort of credit. In that case, we could possibly use the credit to buy food via restaurant or grocery store cards bought via eBay or Amazon. However, is that way cheaper? I don't think it is. Therefore, I consider that way a desperation measure.

Anyhow, some places like McDonald's have cards you can reload on their website. But in my case, they only accepted credit cards, not Paypal, so I went to look at what was available on eBay.

2. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Have you looked into discount gift cards? There was some discussion here before about which sites to use. I think one was called Cardpool, if I remember correctly (the search doesn't seem to be working for me right now, or I'd link it).

You can sometimes find cards for less than they are worth. If you find some good deals for stores or restaurants that you like, you could earn some savings that way. Maybe you'll find a $10 restaurant card for $8 or something. I think it might be worth a try to have a look.

I just posted about this recently. The above would be like earning $2 in a quick way, instead of clicking away for pennies. I think I'd try it.

Have you been finding good deals for cards on eBay?

3. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    You have to be careful, though. The gift cards that are not scannable are often only good at company-owned stores, not franchises. If you buy one and it's rejected, you might mistakenly believe you were scammed - as they don't seem to be putting the fact they are company-owned only on the eBay ads.

#3Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, okay, wow. I didn't know that. That is an important fact that should be made clear. They shouldn't hide that, because I'm sure people will think they got scammed. I'd rather make people aware and avoid any distrust.

So, tell us about some of your deals. How much have you been able to save? I think if you can find the right gift cards to shop with, the savings could be substantial.

It's a win/win, really. You get savings, and the people who have cards they can't use will at least get some benefit. I really need to get busy on this. I love saving money. :p

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat I'm not sure how much money I had saved - if I had saved any at all. Generally, as I said before, resorting to this scheme is a desperation measure due to bad money management. However, it could be the case that buying these cards online is cheaper than simply loading them up at a grocery store. Obviously, that is the case, or why is there a market for these cards online anyway?

#5Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I guess I forgot that you said it was desperation. Even so, I think you could look for savings in the process, like buying discounted gift cards. You could get more for your money that way.

"Don't pay full" price for gift cards. ;)

I was just thinking that it might be a good source of savings even when you're not desperately in need of food. I think it could work as an overall method for savings, on many items. You could still save on groceries or restaurants but also on other things like gas, household products, and more.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    OK, I have an update about the cards. I think they are generally a scam and a lot of stores are becoming suspicious. In that case, I would avoid them. However, I'm only speaking of the fast food combo cards. The others are legit.

Anyhow, though, if it weren't for the danger, I'd say the fast food combo cards give massive savings. In fact, a person could easily save 40 percent, at the least. For instance, I remember I ate a bunch of Wendy's triple burger combos. That would have definitely cost a lot more if I hadn't had those cards. In fact, they normally cost around 9 USD when you factor in the tax.

8. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    What, the ones you bought on eBay turned out to be scams? There are legit gift cards for fast food places. Maybe you just need to buy them from a different source.

Wow, a burger at Wendy's costs 9 bucks? I really haven't been there in a long time, I guess. That sounds quite pricey for a fast food burger, although I guess it does cost more when you get a triple. Still, I could thing of better meals that I could get in other restaurants for that amount of money.

I guess nothing is cheap any more.

Do you have a Sonic Drive In restaurant anywhere near you? They have 1/2 price cheeseburgers on Tuesdays. You can only get the single, but heck, grabbing 3 and stacking them up to make a triple would still cost you less than $9.00.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never heard of buying grocery store cards at ebay for getting food. I used my Paypal at McDonalds, at first it didn't take, but when I told the cashier it was paypay he pressed buttons and said try now, and it went through. Paypal Mastercard Debit card works anywhere and when McDonalds has 2/$3 food why not treat yourself. I wouldn't buy a restaurant card or grocery store card when paypal works like a debit card for you got to eat daily and the cards will take time to arrive to you. They have foodbanks in all the States to International Foodbanks too.

Find your local foodbank

There is a

too. If you qualify for

it's a great help and many shops have the sign to let you know that they accept foodstamps. Don't starve, get help too. If you need help with utilities, locally application time is June of every year, but I don't know about where you live you can look up LIHEAP. LIHEAP helps pay your electricity bill-got to apply yearly and you got to qualify. Foodstammps is an application yearly with 6 months review too. Good luck and don't starve!

10. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat It's true that 9 dollars seem like a lot, but a triple really fills you up. In that case, it's a bargain because you won't have to eat that much on the day you buy it. In fact, you could probably get a dollar pack of hot dogs and a that would be all the food you could handle for a 24-hour period. Also, the triple is delicious!

#10May 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2017