Buying second hand clothes - For or Against?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Mafdet • Mar 11, 2014.

1. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    I got used to buying SH clothes. They are cheaper and you can find really nice items, barely worn. How is your experience with second hand purchases?

2. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I'm definitely 'for' buying second hand clothes. It's cheaper, and it could almost be as good as what you find in stores. The only thing is that it was worn by someone else, but the perfect solution is to wash it twice if you really feel disgusted about it.

I am a thrift store queen, so second hand clothes is definitely a go.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go to the SH store all the time to get my clothes to see what I can see. To me it is like a treasure hunt, you never know what you are going to find. You save money and keep good stuff out of the landfill.

4. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I love secondhand clothes. I go to thrift stores all the time and usually leave with some pretty good stuff. The Avalon Exchange is also a pretty good place for secondhand clothes - like Plato's Closet with more adult, vintage styles. It's definitely pricier than, say, Goodwill though. I don't get why some people hate the idea of secondhand clothes so much. A lot of the time, they are just as good as quality as new clothes, for only a couple of bucks! Just wash them! :)

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I almost exclusively buy second hand clothes. I like spending time at opportunity shops. I have found so many treasures there, truly beautiful clothes, hardly or never worn. Sometimes I just need to give to the shop assistants more money for it, as they often are genuinely oblivious about the value of certain garments.

6. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't like second hand clothes. Unless it's something that doesn't touch the wearer's skin. I just can't get myself over the idea of wearing something someone might have died in.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I love visiting all the stores and flea markets so yes, I agree with buying second hand clothes since I do it too. There's something special about finding great looking items that other people threw away. There's a misconception that all second hand clothes are bad looking or in bad taste. Most times you can find fantastic clothing at unbeatable prices and almost new.

There are certain items I don't buy used obviously but for the most part I love buying used.

8. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like second hand clothes. The idea of wearing somebody elses clothes does not sit well with me. I just would not feel comfortable. I do buy books and DVD's from the charity shop tho and sometimes places like TBHF store has brand new cheap electricals which I have considered buying.

9. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I am all for it if you can't afford retail. Some people simply do not have the resources to buy new products. That is why i support stores goo will stores. I donate there often.

10. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I would say it depends really on where I'm buying the second hand clothing. There are usually sites which are known to sell reliable pieces, meaning the ones which are still very much of good quality. I don't think I will buy second hand clothes from any random shop, as I'm sure there's a lot of possible infection that you may get from there. I mean, even if they say they've sterilized the clothes, I still think the likelihood of getting some disease from there is possible.

I would also probably just buy cheaper clothes but brand new instead of buying expensive brand names but second hand.

11. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    I prefer this option the least. I don't feel like wearing somebody's clothes in which they do a lot of things and hang up whole day. Besides this opinion I choose the ones that are less used and had its quality still intact. I guess it should be our luck to get such things readily in market.

12. mrjohny

mrjohnyNew Member

Threads:
    Very rare ocasions. I would prefer buy cheap but new clothes.
    Sometimes you can find amazing pants in second hand, but only worths, if they are really nice.

13. Nicole87

Nicole87Member

Threads:
    I am definitely "for" buying second hand clothes, and not only because it's the eco-friendly and cheap way to buy now clothes, but for other reasons as well.

For one, it's exciting to go to thrift shops and see what they are selling.

For two, it's a lot more easier to tell what is a quality product and what is not. If you buy a brand new jacket, there's nothing wrong with it, but will it stay that way after a few washes? However, if you find a vintage jacket from a thrift shop, and it's in a really good condition, you can be sure that it will stay that way for a long time.

For thee, you can find really interesting and unique clothes form thrift stores.

14. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I do not buy second hand cloths for obvious health reasons. I think buying new clothes is much better as you are sure of the quality that you are going for. Also the second hand clothes are normally not well taken care of and are just some clothes that people are tired of and are looking for a way to dispose them.

15. sn1

sn1New Member

Threads:
    I am definitely against this whole movement. i cant bare the fact that i'm wearing someone else's shirt that they might have sweat in or you name and don't get me started with the pants. try to save money yes but don't go too far with the saving to buy second hand clothes.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have bought 2nd hand clothes before, but not often because I don't usually see thrift stores on the area where I live. I also buy 2nd hand cellphones too, and it's usually a 50/50 experience, since they're electronics, so they are likely to be more susceptible to conking out shortly after you buy them, or they have hidden defects which the seller did not mention to you. At least with clothes, what you see is what you get.

#16Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  17. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind buying second hand clothes occasionally. Two or three years back I used to buy a lot of SH clothes but ever since my wife learned how to use a sewing machine, I don't need to worry about buying clothes these days.

But that doesn't mean I'll let a great deal get past me. If I find really cheap second hand clothes, I just have to make a purchase.

18. cookiemonsterv16

cookiemonsterv16Member

Threads:
    I honestly don't mind buying second hand clothes I actually do it a lot more than I thought I would. I end up going into the store not expecting much and I end up buying things that look brand new for a cheaper price. I found a really beautiful jacket that looked relatively new and very fashionable that you would see at a brand name store for at least $50 or more, but when I saw it at the thrift store for $20 I knew I had to get it. Sometimes its nice to just go in with little to no expectations because that's when you end up being surprised with what you find.

19. Scottie

ScottieMember

Threads:
    I by second hand clothes for feast days at school (costume days) because i'd never waste money on a silly outfit that i'll only wear once. But apart from that, no not really. I've shopped once at Crossroads though. it's a store where u exchange designer clothes for cash or other clothes there *sigh* anyway they're "old" clothes just never worn. so in a way "new".

20. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    I buy second hand clothes occasionally but i don't mind buying them they are very useful and you can use them on a regular purpose if they get damaged then you can buy new second hand clothes as they are very cheap!!:)