Buying Soda When Dining In A Classy Restaurant

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Alexandoy • Nov 15, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you noticed that soda is much more expensive in the restaurant? It is one way of saving when you buy soda in the convenience store before going to the restaurant. In the Taoyuan airport in Taiwan on our way home, we dined in the food court. The Coke costs 40 NT$. It’s good that I had noticed a vendo machine nearby selling the same Coke for only 20 NT$. You can guess that I went to the vendo machine.

2. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I really never noticed soda being that expensive where I am from. I would really only pay for it if the meal isn't too pricey, if it is then I suggest just ordering water or something cheaper on the menu. If you can just dine out somewhere else cheap and nice or make your own meals. If soda is costing well over $2.00 if a restaurant then it is not a place where you would want to go constantly.

3. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    Exactly. Most of the restaurants tend to fluctuate the prices of soda intentionally. They are aware that a majority of their customers take their meals with soda and hence they capitalize on that. However, since in my area they do not allow food from outside, what I normally do and advice friends is to eat at the restaurant, then move outside and drink soda somewhere else. This helps in saving quite a huge sum.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In the US, McDonald's seems to be taking an opposite marketing scheme. They make all the sodas, regardless of size 1 dollar and also coffee. Now, I am just speaking generally. Sometimes, they probably don't do this. For instance, I think they are charging regular prices for cokes now.

5. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    It is true some food places are more expensive than others. I rather go to dine at cheaper places to save money. Once in a while, I can dine in those expensive restaurants.

6. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on where you're dining. A food court is hardly a classy restaurant so you can buy soda or other drinks elsewhere. In fact, you'll probably find deals like set meals on food courts which already includes soda. Many fine dining restaurants won't allow you to bring your own drinks or food. In such cases, I would simply choose smoothies or fruit shakes which cost just a little over soda and are far more nutritious. Otherwise, if I really want to save money, I'll just go for purified or bottled water.

7. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I always think the drinks, including soda is quite expensive in the restaurants, even though some food might not be that expensive. If possible, I do not order drinks in the restaurants or I will order fresh juice. When I visited Taiwan, I usually bought green tea or red tea as the tea was really affordable. At the time when I visited Taiwan, a big cup of tea only cost NT$10 and I liked them!

8. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I also prefer to order either tea, coffee or juice when dining outside i feel that they influence nor change the taste of the meals.

9. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Soda is free in classy restaurants if the Classy restaurant is an all you can eat buffet. I don't have weight issues but if I will dine out, I prefer All you can eat buffets. I can have 5 times more than I paid for and the drinks are unlimited. Most seafood restaurants are expensive but I can have all the seafood I want in buffets.

10. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do notice that a lot and if there is a store near me with the prices being lower I tend to go and buy them since it is cheaper. Businesses take advantage because they know most people will buy from them. Another example is here where I live there is a small store like one minute or less time from my house where they sell stuff more expensive than in the bigger markets luckily a super market was just made that is only five minutes away.

11. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly don't care about these silly label-related conventions. Of course I respect them, but I don't want to drink something that I don't want / like just to look more beautiful in the photo (if you know what I mean).

Go ahead and drink what you makes you happy. :p

12. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I enjoy all you can eat buffet too, as I can choose any variety of food I like, though I don't think I can eat more than I pay for, I still enjoy it. I do not know why but it seems like the all you can eat buffet here do not include soda drink. Most of them offer juice, coffee and tea. If I go to fine dining restaurant, I might just get a glass of plain water as it's usually free of charge and I think it's fine for me too.

13. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    There really isn't much of a difference where I live. If you got to the store and buy a 20oz coke it's going to be about $2 and if you go to a restaurant and order a coke it's going to be $2.25~$2.95 and the restaurant coke us going to be all you can drink. The only cheap place we have for a coke is Mcdonalds and it's $1 and all the refills that you want.

14. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    Soda is always expensive in restaurants. I think it is because you sit there and drink in the restaurant. At my place, soda is $0.80 and sometimes $1. But there are big hotels where soda costs much.

In shops, soda is $0.30 and some $0.50

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am pretty good at limiting myself on the beverages when I am out, and I usually just stick with water if it is not something that an occasion might call for. It does help I do not care all that much for soda either, but still.

16. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    This is really true. Whenever I eat in an expensive restaurant, I just ask for their house water. The beverages in fine dining restaurants are 3x more expensive than those beverages in a convenience store. I wonder why they need to increase their price on their drinks when the drinks between the convenience stores and expensive restaurants are just the same.

17. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I have noticed that a soda is more expensive in a restaurant but there are restaurants who don't let us come with a soda bought from another place so we must buy it from there. I hate when this happens because I lose a lot of money doing this.

18. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, even in pizza places like Pizza Hut or Papa John's, it's quite expensive already. So I don't even buy soda there, when I call for delivery, I just buy soda in the nearby store. I get 2 liters for $1 only.