Buying Supplies At The Dollar Store

Discussion in Office Supplies started by pafjlh • Feb 3, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, maybe we can't buy large office supply items such as printer paper or printer ink here. But dollar stores can be a great outlet to get some of the basic office products At a dollar store we can buy ink Pens in a variety of styles and types. We can get paper clips, white out, highlighters and erasers.

There are other stationary products as well that can be bought as well depending on the dollar store. This is a great way to save money on basic office suppies that we always seem to need so much. Especially ink pens if there is something that is used a whole lot and even lost its these.

2. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, dollar stores are a good place to find office supplies necessities, or cheap school supplies. The best time to get these items is back to school time, when most stores are running sales on office and school supplies. Last fall I even found some great deals on basic supplies at Menard's. They were offering Menard's rebates on certain school supplies, and since I shop there somewhat regularly, these were great deals. Some items were even free after rebate!

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dollar stores are a real good place to keep you supplied with pens and pencils and envelopes. I like to get storage bags from the Dollar store. When you purchase the same item at the big grocery store you are spending up to a dollar more for each item, that can add up quickly.

4. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    They don't have a huge selection, but they have everything you need of the smaller or more common items. And, in my case, I save even more by using my local dollar store. It's about five miles away while everything else is three times that far.

5. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    The price often outweighs the lack of selection. I at least try the dollar tree FIRST to see if I can find what I need there. Sometimes, if I'm going to be multiple places on errands, I'll even try a few dollar tree stores, like the one close to home and the one right next to the target. Then, if they don't have what I want either place, Target will probably have it.

6. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    The dollar stores are amazing for simple and disposable products. Pens, pencils, paper, that sort of thing. I remember in earlier years the ones in town where I live would have nicer quality and a wider range of products, probably selling off back supply from other stores. Nevertheless I still check out Dollar Tree regularly for goods and it's even possible to buy online from their website and ship-to-store, if buying in bulk.

7. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    The dollar store is good for a lot of things, I can rack up on pens, notebooks, notebook paper, poster boards, highlights etc. If I need something I will usually check out Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, or Dollar General first before trying Walmart or Target.

8. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I do buy office supplies such as pens, pencils, markets, crayon, envelopes, pins, paper clips, highlighters, etc. at the Dollar Stores at every beginning of the school year for my children. If they break them or loose them, I don't feel so bad or mad.

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dollar stores are good enough for the basics when it comes to office supplies. I wouldn't trust a stapler or a pen to last very long from those stores, though. The fact remains that something that costs a dollar often won't last as long as something that's worth more, at least when moving parts are involved (mostly that stapler!).

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been amazed at the amount of stuff I can unearth in a Pound store! I just love them, and don't understand the snobbery around them at all. I used to go in and see what I could find, and would only then go onto the high street if I couldn't find what I was looking for. Amazingly, some of these things are also sold in regular stores at a higher price!

11. juancarlos

juancarlosMember

Threads:
    Dollar stores are a actual excellent place to retain people supplied with envelopes and pens. They've everything required from the small or even more common products.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Your so lucky to have a Dollar Store to get great bargains! I wait for the Back To School sales or other sales. We had dollar stores, but they closed up and I don't know why. I liked the dollar stores they had, but is gone now.

13. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love my Dollar Store for office supplies. I buy erasers, rulers, highlighters, fun pencils for my classroom. They have a great assortment of classroom items at a great price. Every September I go to my Dollar Store and stock up on items that kids need and put them in a "tool box" for kids who either lose their supplies or didn't have them to begin with. Dollar stores have great post it notes, motivational stickers, magnetic holders, and magnets which I use in the classroom.

14. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I do like the dollar store for basic supplies. It sometimes makes me wonder why other stores charge so much when the dollar store is doing fine selling it at a much cheaper price. I have gotten sticky notes, tissue paper, gift bags, thank you cards all from the dollar store months ago and still have it. What I would really like to stock up on is some tape. I could also use a ruler right about now. Looks like I have a list already!

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this too. If I'm not too worried about the quality of a certain item then I tend to just buy it from cheap stores or I buy cheap brands instead. For typewriting paper I don't usually mind it so I would just go for whatever is cheapest unless I am not using it for printing and instead on art then I would much rather just go for something a bit more expensive so as to get the best quality, since it's not that much more expensive anyway. For larger items I'd much rather just buy it at a bigger store where I can be more comfortable with the purchase.

16. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I like to save money so I do buy office supplies at Dollar tree. Pens and Pencils are all the same. I do not need anything fancy for work. I will only buy it somewhere else if it is way cheaper like paper at walmart is only 75 cents.

17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well some dollar store products are not made as well, but some I think are great values. I bought a dinner plate the other day from Dollar Tree that looks just like the much more expensive Fiestaware and is not a noticeable difference in quality. I might go back and buy an entire set of them...I like them a lot!

18. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Even though the selection isn't the largest, it's a place that helps keep me stocked with envelopes, pens, pencils and erasers. Why break the bank trying to buy basic supplies. I've bought pens at an office supply store that were pretty pricey and the pens didn't even last me a month. I went through a pack of pens in a months time. I bought some pens at the Family Dollar down the street from me a month ago and I'm still using the first pen out of the pack.

19. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I am a writer and like to write by hand before I type it up. The Dollar Store is where I go. I can get a ton of pens for a few dollars and paper galore! Not to mention if you feel artsy and want glue, paper, crayons whatever they always have so much to pick from. People usually don't want to buy things from these types of stores because "they're cheap." Yes some items are, but the office supply stuff is just amazing!

20. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, one thing I noticed at Dollar Tree is the posterboard for a buck. I am going to get that the next time I go back there, because I know for a fact it is more expensive at other stores in this area and they don't have as big of a supply either. Dollar Tree rocks in my opinion. I have had very few problems with any of the items I have purchased there. The one complaint I would have, is when you go in there,,,it is is extremely easy to spend more money than you planned to...as everything is a dollar you always end up buying more than you planned to...you go in for toothpaste or aspirin and 10 dollars later...you walk out the door.! haha.