Buying The Cheapest . . .

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Jul 22, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people won't mind the cheapest food but dare not for some reason use the same line of reasoning [cheap doesn't necessarily mean low quality] when buying cleaning products, toiletries and the like. They'll do the same job as their more expensive alternatives so why not buy the cheapest detergents, showers gels, bath soaps, etc?

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes the scents don’t agree with a person’s nose. I know I’ve found a few super-cheap things and given them a test sniff, only to find that I couldn’t cope with the scent. So really, it’s all down to personal preference. I once read that the best stuff tends to be found among the second-cheapest options. I don’t think that’s always true, but I do agree that things don’t always need to be the most expensive to be good quality.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do buy cheap detergents and toiletries at times, but not always brands. With hand soap I will buy cheap as it's used up so quickly and several times a day and the same to wash dishes.

As for food, I will buy cheaper things like tomato paste as there's not much you can do to that to make it different. Rather than cheaper products, I go to cheaper stores to buy the same thing for less.

4. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with you. When I'm eating the cheaper food I usually don't notice that it's not as 'good'. I mean we got a deal where we got a bunch of free food for buying some meat, and we got these very cheap hot dogs, and I actually really liked them. I just think that too many people care about the name brand and not about the food.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I already do this to some degree and particularly when it comes to buying household items that are used regularly.

However although I would agree that cheap doesn't necessarily mean low quality - particularly as there are many unbranded products that are considerably cheaper to buy, which are just as good if not better than some of the better known branded products - cheaper products are not always the better option from a money saving point of view.

Which is why - before switching to cheaper unbranded products - I think its always best to buy a single smaller version of the product - not only to check if you like it - but mainly to see if it is as good or as economical as the branded product - particularly as I've found that with some of the cheaper products you often have to use more to get the same results - like laundry detergent, toilet paper and floor cleaner for instance - which of course means that in some cases its more cost effective to stick with the branded product - as although initially a little more expensive they generally workout more economical in the long run - as because you use less they don't need replacing as often.

6. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    While I agree that cheap doesn't necessarily mean low quality, my skin and nose are both very sensitive. I would rather pay a bit more for specific name-brand products that I know won't trigger headaches or give me an allergic skin reaction when I use them. This is super important to me for both personal products and cleaning products. I don't like dyes or weird chemical scents. If I can get a sample of a cheap equivalent product to test and it's fine in both scent and on my skin, I switch to the cheaper product but I don't just randomly grab whatever is cheapest.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, the cheapest food doesn't taste as nice as the more expensive food, so I don't always buy the cheapest in that category. I did buy the cheapest detergent once, although I haven't used it yet since when I got home the stock was replenished already. But I do think it's inferior even if it does the same job, because we bought a generic liquid dishwashing soap and it takes many squirts to fully clean oily plates as compared to the branded one.

8. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The problem is that the cheapest stuff is indeed often crap, though. A lot of cheaper cleaning supplies use fragrances in abundance to mask a lack of actual cleaning power. The cheapest foods are often slightly lower in quality than more expensive options, even by a few cents. Even cheaper hardware items can often be more flimsy than their more expensive counterparts. It's often a better idea to take the middleground on price instead of opting for the cheapest or most expensive.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I buy the cheapest when it comes to things I wouldn't come in contact with too much such as detergent or paper towels. For everything else like shampoo or soap I'd go for the regular type and not skimp out because I prefer not to risk it when it comes to my skin because who knows what the cheap ones might eventually bring me, and if it went really bad I may just end up paying a lot more in medical bills anyway.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:So true! I go to Walmart and compare prices all the time. Walmart has their store brand products and they work great for a fraction of the cost of name brands on sale. I like the prices at Walmart a lot! I can get cleaning products and paper goods at Walmart that's cheaper than sales that are going on island at other stores. I like the prices at Walmart, Walgreens & CVS store brands for the same items that brand name cost so much more.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't go for price, or for quality alone. I always go for both. For example, for dish soap, there are some cheap ones but they are very liquidy and will not last as much as one that is a little more expensive but lasts way more. It's the same with laundry detergent, I have tried the cheaper ones and found that they are not worth it. I would frequently have to rewash the clothes because they still had stains, which is not the case when used the best detergents.
    I use that exact same reasoning with food. There's no reason to buy cheap stuff if you don't like it and are going to throw it away.

12. HenryDiebold

HenryDieboldNew Member

Threads:
    I think it is better to see the quality of the things before seeing price. It is better to take a costly thing that will last for a long time. But when most of the people buy gifts from others then they want to buy gifts within affordable range. There are many online shops that are providing good gifts withing affordable range. I prefer to choose from Flipkart, Amazon and Yankee online shops.