Buying The Same Item For Yourself

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by sunnyside • Apr 18, 2016.

1. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    When buying a gift for a friend or relative, do you like the item so much that you would also buy one for yourself? There are times when I would see a nice item which I think would make a great gift for someone. While admiring the item and trying to make a decision about buying it, I would end up buying more than one, since not only would I see it as making a good gift, but I myself may want a similar item for myself.

What about you? Have you ever found yourself in a similar position?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haha i've been tempted, but I always refrain from doing so because to do so would take away from the uniqueness of that gift, what makes it special. I always try to remember on that occasion, it's not about me.I suppose there's nothing majorly wrong with it, but for me personally, it just wouldn't feel right. What i do take away from it though, is the fact that my liking the item so much is a sign that I've chosen well :)

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on whether it is something that I would use or not. Sometimes, I might buy a gift for someone that I have purchased for myself at some point in time. I would do this because I like it so much that I want them to have it as well. I think giving a gift that you would like or use can be nice.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not recently. When I buy a gift I usually shop for the person only. They are different from me so I usually buy what they'd like unless it's food stuff. Food stuff that I and another would like is often purchased more for we like the same things in food so I get some for me and the person I'm buying for especially if it's a bargain. :)

5. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    This topic is so funny to me, because I noticed at a certain point that when I bought a little thing for myself, I often was compelled to buy one for my sister also. We have such similar taste in things that often I find when I'm buying a little souvenir or treat, it makes me think of her and I will get her one. I have also been tempted to buy something for myself that I intended to give as a gift, but I am trying not to do this, as I'm trying to reduce my overall possessions.

Sometimes we are close to people who are similar to us though and it can make shopping an interesting balance!

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the people I buy gifts for are completely different from me ,so I'm not tempted to own the same item. But my daughter and I are so similar that I do sometimes find myself buying the same item for both of us in two different colors. We're best friends, so she doesn't mind.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say that I was one to do this. Usually I am so upset about having to spend my money on the other person, lol, that I don't want to spend any more money in that setting by getting myself the same item. I'm kidding hahaha. If the item is something that piques my interest, then sure I would. I have not done so yet though.

8. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I'd do that, and have done in the past. If there was a buy one get one free offer or two for a certain price then sure, I'd buy one for me and one for a gift, because it makes use of the offer and the second one that I might not have needed had I bought it for myself only. Similarly I've also given gifts to two people that were the same for that reason. I made sure those people didn't know each other first though!

9. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have to admit I have done this. I usually do this when I buy clothing for my best friend. I purposefully go out to shop and buy her a present and end up liking the top I buy for her so much that I buy myself the same top in a smaller size. I once did it the other way around too. I had a sweater that my friend admired and that gave me the perfect idea to get one for her for her birthday. It's hard when you have the same taste and you like the same clothes. It's hard to resist buying yourself something especially if the item is on sale or at a store like Winners or Marshalls. I find at those two stores if you don't buy something when you see it, it's usually gone the next day when you go back to buy it.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Saving money demands being able to resist impulse purchases. While yes one should treat themselves from time to time, after budgeting, unless there's money set aside for such expenses one should never buy something they don't need even if it does look good. This is why I never buy anything that I previously hadn't planned to.