Buying tickets to events as gift?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by hellavu • Jan 10, 2015.

1. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I always loved to get tickets to stuff. Cinema, theater, aquatic slides... It just seems like the kind of thing you can be happy about getting right away and that you can also look forward to, right?

On the other side, I've bought tickets to the World Fair 2015 and even if I got the "no fixed date" ticket, our plans are changing this much that we're not sure we will be able to go. Or going might provide a bit of hassle and all.

What is your take on giving tickets as gifts?
    I know they are supposed to be a big "no-no" in an early relationship.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Tickets are a tough one and I have often been left with unused tickets as people have backed out or they don't go and I feel it wasted my money. Unless that person is a fan of the event like a concert then I wouldn't buy tickets and these days the stress of selling them on is not worth it.

I would never buy them again as a gift as I have been left with tickets and you are supposed to enjoy the event. I ended up at the theater alone once and no chance to sell on the ticket, fortunately it wasn't too expensive, but I hate to waste tickets.

3. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    I think tickets to events / places make great gifts, as long as you are 100% sure that the person will want to use them. It might even be helpful to check that they aren't busy that day as well.

Also, I think tickets to places such as children's museums, zoos, jumpy bounce house places are great as well. One fabulous Christmas git idea for a family with young kiddos is a membership to a children's museum. It is worth every penny.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think buying tickets to events as gifts is a brilliant idea. BUT you'd have to know that person very well, really know their taste and know they're definitely going to appreciate it and put it to use. It's not something that you buy someone you don't know all that well. I'd put this in the same category as buying a pamper session or gift vouchers. I love receiving those, and actually prefer them. I'm very particular about what I like and people don't always get it right, so this works perfectly for all concerned. However, I know people who find it offensive as they feel that it's the lazy way out and not much thought goes into buying vouchers.

5. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I think buying tickets is a wonderful idea. I love buying tickets to family shows at the theatre as a gift or concert tickets for close family. I like getting tickets for concerts at the 3 arena in Dublin or the o2 as it used to be called. It's great when my sister tries to get concert tickets for a gig and never succeeds and then I do and give the to her as a gift. I love surprise tickets.