Buying used clothes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by JoshPosh • Sep 14, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    So obviously this is a site where you don't pay full price, so let me see how I shop for clothing at a discounted price.

I usually shot at a discount by buying used but still looks new clothing from eBay. Most clothes there will be sold at a fraction of the cost as brand new. Sometimes as cheap as 75% off if it is a bid auction. I find all the latest gear and trends at a fraction of retail.

My friends tell me that I'm crazy for doing that because the clothes might not be the right fit. I usually shrug it off because I go for the loose fit because my weight fluctuates all the time.

I don't go to garage sales. Most of that stuff are old fashion that's not worth my time.

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I buy used clothes, too, but not generally from Ebay. I actually buy from thrift stores because it is much cheaper. Also, the challenge of looking for something worth wearing there is very interesting. There are times there when I find a really big and outdated dress. What I do is I have it repaired into a blouse or something else.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm a bit hesitant when it des to buying used items, especially clothing because it will be on my body for a long period of time. I know it's just my imagination and rationally I should know that washing it thoroughly is enough to make it wearable, but I can't get my mind off the fact that it's been worn by someone I don't know.

4. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    eBay is a good place to get decent second-hand clothes. I got a lot of maternity clothes for work and casual wear when I was pregnant with my third baby and they were still in good enough condition for me to wear in my fourth pregnancy. If you are lucky, you can pick up some nice things at car boot sales. My friend and I often swap clothes as we put on or lose weight.

5. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy my clothes online at all unless I know the exact size, brand, and style that I like. Meaning I've tried it in stores already and is only buying online to get a good deal. If I wanted to save money on clothes, I usually wait for sales to go on or I go thrift-store shopping. There's a great thrift store in my area where everything is SUPER cheap but it's a pretty good quality (it's a college town so people donate their stuff all the time).

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the clothes I wear (except lingerie, duh!) I bought used. Not from online stores, but from thrift stores or other places that sell this type of merchandise. If you have the time and patience you'll find clothes in great condition, some even new. You're right in this aspect tho', most of them are not the latest trend. But that's something I'm willing to put up with considering the money I get to save.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also never buy clothes online because I had one bad experience [shopping for clothes online]. Thrift stores are the places where I get my used clothes from. Sometimes I am lucky enough to get clothes which either haven't been worn at all or clothes which have been worn only once or twice. To land such jewels though you need to be at the store when [or right after] they restock.

8. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I like buying new clothes on Ebay. Sometimes I will go for something used - for example a coat, or if it is a piece from a designer I like a lot that has only been worn once or twice. Used shoes are not a good idea for me as they have been broken in to someone elses' foot. Other items I will buy used are accessories such as purses.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me it is not necessary to buy many clothes, used or new. My partner's mother is a seamstress and enjoys making clothes for me.
    And even if I needed anything, clothes are really cheap here where I currently live, and it's not difficult to find something that I like.
    I have never bought any clothes on-line, mainly because I am very sensitive to pre-worn clothing that has some residual smells of perfumes or deodorants in them which are almost impossible to get rid of. If I buy second-hand clothes, I like to thoroughly inspect them first.

10. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    Factory seconds are really great. You get the label and brand at a big discount. I like to buy leather jackets from factory seconds as you can get last season fashions often less than half the price which can save you hundreds of dollars.

11. Crystal Reed

Crystal ReedNew Member

Threads:
    There's nothing wrong with buying @ thrift stores i do it for me and my son it's a lot cheaper then Walmart and Rose's even though i do go there sometimes also. To me the pricer are cheaper then both places and the quality is a lot better then Rose's.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tend to only buy jackets, coats or sweater that are second hand. They are better value and I like leather jackets that are worn in. Sometimes I can find a dress that is unusual and can adapt it, but it can be a risk, so it can't be too expensive.

Cashmere sweaters can be a good buy as long as they are good quality, but I don't buy trousers or tops. Thrift and charity shops are good for second hand clothes, but I never buy off ebay because I like to see the goods first.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have recently started purchasing 2nd hand clothes on Ebay, so I'm hoping that they will fit, after all, I asked for the precise measurements. I agree that you can get imported and authentic brands for more than 50% to 75% off when it's done through auction, so you really have to take advantage of those deals. Just be aware of the fakes though. They are sold as "brand new" but at a very cheap price, and they are mass produced, like the seller has many stocks of the said item.

14. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I buy used clothing all the time. We have a few shops that I like and have had really great luck with. My problem is, I am very picky with what I purchase used. They have to almost look new for me to purchase. I think that's ok though. It does take me extra time when shopping and I may not get a lot but that's the way I do it. :) I have had super good luck with finding used uniforms for my kids for school as well. The price online is outrageous and I have saved a ton by just being patient and looking around.

:)