Buying Used For Pets?

Discussion in Pets started by hellavu • Feb 24, 2015.

1. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    We are practical people. When we had a bird, we did not buy a new cage: we got some from friends, or from flea markets -- ie, buying used. Recently, we also bought a new terrarium for the hamster, and it came with different toys and equipment. It was quite a find, and a much larger home than what she had before (to buy it new would not be something we could afford to do)

And this is where I'm a bit less convinced, because hamsters can be quite territorial and I'm not sure how sensitive they are to the "old smell" of private hamsters owners, even if it was washed well (and I mean wood stuff, especially)

Do you buy used items for your pets? What are your reservations on the subject?

2. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought used bird cages in the past. Used aquariums, too. I can't really think of anything else I've bought used for pets. Unless it would be used tack and barn items for my horses, which somehow doesn't seem like quite the same thing. I honestly can't think of any reason I would be hesitant to buy used things for any pets, though.
    I would just be certain I cleaned them up really well, paying special attention to items that might carry a lot of germs, mites, etc.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought used items for my pets, but I won't hesitate to take advantage of the chance when I see one. But if the item is only around $12 like a brand new cat cage, then I won't mind buying a brand new one since it's affordable. I would be more inclined to buy a used cage if it's a large one like a dog cage.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I think if you can clean the living heck out of whatever you're buying used, you can afford to buy used. If you have any doubt as to the cleanliness of said used items opt to buy a new one. Better safe than sorry.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never bought anything new for my pets. I have either constructed their housing myself from recycled materials or bought things like food bowls, blankets, etc. from opportunity shops. But, admittedly, the items that I bought at thrift stores were often items that have been used by humans. If it comes to old smells in cages, I would suggest to clean and disinfect everything thoroughly.

6. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't got a pet, so I'm speaking from my perspective. But I really don't see why people wouldn't buy used for pets. It's practical, it saves money and it's better for the environment. Then again, I don't have the emotional connection with animals that some people have so I don't have that important perspective.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you can buy used items you can use yourself why shouldn't you buy anything that's been used for your pet? It's not like pets are that special [pet lovers will hate me for saying that] but that is a fact. One should do whatever it takes to save a little money. If that little money you save will be used to buy the pet better [or the best] food, maybe?

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would be open to it as long as I know it wouldn't affect the pet too negatively. If I knew that the pet would dislike another animal's scent on their new item then I'd most likely just get brand new especially if it doesn't have that much of a price difference. I'd also be a bit more hesitant when it comes to toys because I don't know how much germs it already has.

9. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I love my pets! I get irritated with people who seem to put their pets on a level above people, though, as some of them definitely do. I agree, if used is good enough for you (it is for me quite often) then it ought to be more than sufficient for your pets.

10. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I buy everything used at the Thrift Stores for my pets! I got a cage for the bunny from garage sale, and two different kennels for our puppy at more than half price from the Thrift Stores. I just took those cage/kennels home and disinfected the heck out of it, in all the corners of every cage. Then I let the sun do the rest of the cleaning. I just don't see spending 100 of dollars for something that I can pay cheaper and served the same purpose. None of my pets complaints yet.