Buying Used Makeup Online

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Mackmax • Jan 19, 2015.

1. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I have never bought used make-up online or offline in my life, and I don't think I will ever purchase one in the near future. That just doesn't sound right to me due to hygienic reasons. My skin could get easily irritated, and I don't think I can trust second-hand make-up when it comes to skin care.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would be very uneasy with buying used makeup products since it's going to be used on your skin, and the small amount you'd save might end up just biting you in the behind when an infection comes along. Personally, I'd much rather just spend on something a little cheaper but brand new instead of a branded product that's used.

3. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with the comments about bacteria etc. but there is another added worry. The is a definite shelf life of makeup. Mascara and foundation is 12 months from new and if it has been used the shelf life goes down. So you do not know if the item is out of date which will mean it won't perform as it should. Who wants flaky mascara or streaky foundation?

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    ^ There was a post on a beauty blog, can’t recall which one so I can’t find it now, proving that Glambot sold her a MAC lipstick from seven years ago. So… yeah, even if the sterilization process was foolproof (which it isn’t), selling expired makeup is just a big no. I’ll stick with the cheaper, brand new stuff, and maybe splurge on the occasional mid-to-high-end product when I can afford it. At least I know it’s safe.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's the first time that I hear about used makeup available for sale. Personally, I wouldn't touch it. Even though there are companies who claim to disinfect and clean the products, it all sounds dubious to me. I don't want to think about what kind of nasty rash I might get from used makeup.

6. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    It sounds absolutely disgusting and unhygienic. It is particularly wrong to share any kind of eye make up in general, even with people who live in your own home. However, why would anyone be desperate enough to buy a strangers make up? Where do people even sell used makeup and why are they selling it?

7. yvannahgeorgianne

yvannahgeorgianneNew Member

Threads:
    I've seen a lot of people (friends on Facebook, online shops on Instagram) that are selling used make-ups but I never was lured into buying no matter how I think the shade would be perfect on me. I've seen online shops selling luxury brand such as MAC, Benefit, for half of its original original price. The seller said that it's from Singapore, thus, the price. I thought that maybe it's some sort of replica of the original. I was tempted to buy but really scared of the consequences of not buying legit ones.

8. IrishHeather

IrishHeatherMember

Threads:
    No, no, no, and HEC NO!!!!!! Uggg. To me buying used makeup is like putting a sign in your front yard saying "Give me a free disease please!"

No matter how much the person or company selling it claims to have sterilized the product, I can in no way shape or form conventionalize applying said product to my face.

I did some research into EBay's policy on the selling of used cosmetics and it turns out that it goes against their TOS, although, I am sure that some things slip through the cracks here and there. I have included a link. I still have to check out Glambot.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only second-hand cosmetic item I would ever consider using is nail polish. I frequently swap with a friend but I've no qualms in doing this as I know she's a hygienic person. We both get fed up with nail colors around halfway through the bottle so it makes sense for us to exchange.

10. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No. No way would I buy used makeup. There are plenty of places to buy lower cost makeup that is clean and safe, so why even take the chance? I guess some people need the high end products so much that they will endanger their health and/or lives for it? That makes no sense to me. There are plenty of decent products for reasonable prices at regular stores, as well as places like Sally Beauty Supply and Ulta, so there's absolutely no need of this.

11. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Somethings should definitely not be bought used, and this is a clear example of one such used thing that you should avoid buying. I think it's the "buying" that is turning a lot of people off from the idea because if a girl gives another give her makeup as a friend, I'm quite sure that girl who received the makeup may try it on at least once. So too if she was given a set of nail polish or shampoo and conditioner. So, I guess the buying aspect of it all is the real deterrent. Not so much that the item is used.

12. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Any cosmetic that has been opened is subject to be contaminated in certain degree, it could be eye shadow, makeup base, or lip liner. Whatever is exposed to someone else's skin, or simply exposed to the environment, can pick something that later may affect your skin.

I wouldn't use second-hand makeup due to this. As dyanmarie25 said earlier, its about hygiene.

13. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I would definitely not buy used makeup. For one, you can always have samples at the store to try a new colour or a foundation and the second thing is that if the person used it, it would be contaminated. You can "clean" certain things, but then there are somethings that are contagious that a simple disinfect can't remove.

14. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    While I can see the appeal of the designer makeup I would never wear anything that had been opened or potentially used, on my skin. I live in Ireland and there were people selling these at market stalls every weekends, lots of girls flocked to this but the idea came across as very unhygienic to me and so I avoided it. So happy I did as it turns out people were selling foundations that contained urine and others with bleach.
    A friend of mine was sadly one of the girls who purchased the makeup however was smart enough to not apply it to her face when she noticed the smell and consistency of the makeup was very off.
    I'm not saying this website or any websites would do something so disgusting but it is something to be careful of.
    I'd never put anything on my eyes if it had been used by anyone else. I think that the risk of getting some form of conjunctivitis is just too high and I wouldn't risk it. Just be careful with second hand makeup!

15. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    After taking cosmetology courses and learning so much about cross contamination... there's NO WAY. Nope, couldn't do it.
    We were taught there was really no way to properly disinfect or sanitize makeup appropriately while still maintaining the condition and use of the product. We were taught to simply divide makeup into individual dishes for use on clients or to use disposable brushes and tools and NEVER re-dip!

16. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I've covered this in Medicinal Chemistry, which actually deals a lot with cosmetics and topical medicines. Cross contamination can easily lead to all sorts of infections, especially if somebody would have a resistance to a particular infection. That could then easily be passed onto somebody else, especially if the person doesn't know about any possible infections.

17. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I always wondered about the brushes. I knew about dividing makeup, as that was the practice that was followed at a photo studio that offered makeovers, but they tended to use the same brushes (after cleaning, of course). Didn’t know disposable brushes were an option.

18. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    I personally would never buy used makeup. You don't know who used it before you and what they may have had at the time when using it such a cold sores, eye infection, etc.. and these can be passed on when you use their makeup. Also, make up has an expiry which I don't think is labeled on the products but you don't want to use old makeup on your face because it can cause skin irritations, rashes and infections. I try to save money when I can but this is the one time I don't mind spending a little extra.

19. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    Some brushes can be sanitized and cleaned. Few can be sterilized. There's a difference between the procedures and to what they will do. If there is a high quality brush being used that can be sterilized, it's okay to use that instead of a disposable. Here's the reason I say it must be sterilized:
    Imagine the person applying the makeup with said brush has a cut on her face or has an open pimple, etc. The presence of bodily fluids or blood even in a tiny amount could be present. Now it's on the brush. Simply cleaning the brush will not kill all bacteria or pathogens or disease such as hepatitis, HIV... Only proper sterilization will. Not many have brushes they sterilize.

20. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    You seem to know a lot on this topic. Do you know if all brushes can be sterilised, or only a select few? I have an autoclave at home, but the high temperatures might not fare well for the brush. Would steeping in alcohol work?