Buying Used Makeup Online

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Mackmax • Jan 19, 2015.

1. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    You are absolutely right in assuming that some brushes wouldn't fare well in an autoclave. Many are made of plastic that will melt.
    I would lean towards a bleach/water mix over alcohol then washing with very hot soapy water and blow drying. If a brush couldn't even withstand that much cleaning, it isn't going to be one you want to use in makeup that you wouldn't want to use only on yourself.
    For my own personal makeup purposes (not applying on anyone else) I use medium quality brushes that can withstand enough heat that I soak them in a bowl of boiling water with a cap full of bleach and some baby shampoo for about 20 minutes then rinse with hot water and blowdry about every three weeks.

2. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    Ah thank you! I'll definitely try this with mine. I would of thought the bleach would damage the fibers, but I'll take your word on it!

3. SarahWorksAtHome

Threads:
    It sometimes causes slight discoloration. I don't mind them looking weird if I know they are clean, but that is completely up to your discretion. If you don't have any communicable diseases or do not plan on sharing makeup, you do not need to sterilize your brushes like this at all. Some baby shampoo and warm water, then blow drying works fine for those purposes. I only do mine that way because occaisionally I share with my daughter and because I have skin issues.

4. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    I suppose that's true. I very rarely share my makeup stuff, but when I do I always want to make sure they're clean before and afterwards. I've slight eczema, but I don't think that can be transferred in this way, or if it's transferable at all.

5. SarahWorksAtHome

Threads:
    Eczema isn't at all communicable. It does make your skin more sensitive, though, so just be cautious about what kind of makeup you are using that it won't agitate the eczema more.

6. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I would never buy used makeup. It just isn't worth it. I think most places where you buy cosmetics have a "you can return it if you don't like it" policy. Heck, I bought something a few weeks ago at my local grocery store and after trying it at home I decided I didn't like it. I figured "what the heck" I'll try to return it and the store accepted by return. It was an eye cream and I didn't like the brush that I had to apply it with. So I would go that route; trying to return the product before selling it to someone else.

7. o'wale

o'waleNew Member

Threads:
    i think it will be better to stop using make up than to order for the used ones...its not encouraging .

8. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    I try avoid putting any makeup on the eczema directly, for that reason. I'm not sure what would agitate it, because it seems like even "sensitive" body washes will. I've been using some fairly generic brand of foundation on my chest area, just below my neck, as I can get it there sometimes. I've just been putting a layer of e45 on myself before I use anything.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Shady is one word for it, absolutely disgusting would work too. I don't care how much they promise to be clean and 'disinfected' and safe, it's gross to me.

10. alishapenny

alishapennyNew Member

Threads:
    Are you serious? I can't even believe that. I've never heard of selling or buying used make-up before. I don't care if it's 'disinfected', that is still really weird. Especially, with going to cosmetology school at one point, if we did anything with make up, we would have to cut out chunks of eye shadow and put it in temporary containers to use it, instead of using the same container. I think we were able to use the same container if we never used the same applicator twice, but that's a waste of applicators. Mascara, we had to use disposable brushes and only dip them once so we wouldn't be contaminating the whole tube. I just think used make up is gross.. all the dead skin cells that can come with it and all that... No. Just no.

11. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    It really is super gross :C I've heard rumours that people who sell makeup and such from side street stalls and such, selling used / stolen makeup from cosmetology schools. I had one friend who bought some once and it broke her face out in all these gross red spots and pores. There was one particular case where people bought makeup that was contaminated with urine. As in, some guy came around and diluted it down with urine to try sell more. It was disgusting to hear about. He even managed to seal up the makeup before so it looked unopened.

12. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Yikes! That is disgusting indeed. The things people do to make a buck… Scary.

13. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    It's really quite disgusting. Ever since I heard about that I've always been very careful in only buying my makeup from a trusted source, such as a well known store or something along the likes.

14. alishapenny

alishapennyNew Member

Threads:
    Selling used make-up... sounds like it fits into the same category as used underwear..or used adult toys... haha. Make-up isn't even that expensive. If you're looking for used make-up, then you must not have very picky or high standards so you could always just shop for cheap make-up at Walmart haha. That way it's BRAND NEW and cheap.

15. ImariFutari

ImariFutariMember

Threads:
    JUST THE IDEA OF *USED* MAKE UP IS UTTERLY DISGUSTING.

In what world is it okay to put things on your face that have already been on other peoples' faces? Especially things that go on your lips and around your eyes. Who knows what types of germs could be transfered! Who knows how this make up was tampered with?

Here's the thing, when shopping for skin products, shop all natural and at establishments that you can trust.

16. SarahWorksAtHome

Threads:
    There are people who buy those. -.- ick. LOL I think some who do it, just an idea, might be doing it solely to have the name brand or designer in their bag and look like they are "balling". I had a friend who kept a bottle of designer perfume in her bag just because it was so pricey but used the knockoff version at home. All so she could look "fancy". LOL. Cracked me up.

AMEN!

17. hosewalker

hosewalkerMember

Threads:
    I would never buy used makeup online. I don't care what anyone says it just seems really sketchy to me. If there is someone willing to take the risk and buy used makeup I say go for it! but I would never do it myself. I would be afraid of getting pinkeye or something like that from someone else's used makeup.

18. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I'm really poor and really cheap.It would have to depend on the make up. Lipstick is out of the question. I would hate to look great in bright red one night and then pay for it in the morning when my mouth is covered in herpes.