Buying Used Musical Instruments From Facebook Groups

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by arachnophobik • Jul 3, 2017.

1. arachnophobik

arachnophobikMember

Threads:
    I've bought my first electric guitar (an Ibanez Gio) for quite a cheap price in a Facebook buy and sell group. All you have to do to join such groups is type your country on the search bar and add "buy and sell" or "for sale" and click on groups. You then will have to join one and check out the items for sale. Take note that most of the items in those groups are used, so if you want to make sure of the quality, always ask the owner and inspect the photos first. I myself am happy with my electric guitar, I think it's alright for the price. The only downside for me is that some strings go out of tune very easy when I bend the strings a lot during certain songs.

2. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Congratulations on buying your first electric guitar. You are going to have a lot of fun with that. I hope you join a band or set one up with your friends. Buying musical instruments second hand is a great idea as they can be very expensive to buy brand new.

If your strings are loose, I suggest getting some more new ones and tightening them up. Get yourself a tuning fork and tune it regularly. Old strings do normally get loose quicker so new ones should help.

3. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    This is the first time I am hearing that musical instruments can be bought via Facebook groups. I am planning to buy violin at an affordable price so I will look into it. And good luck with your guitar my friend. Hope you are having a very good time with it. :)

4. DavidLee

DavidLeeMember

Threads:
    Sounds like an-Okay idea to me.. As long as I'll personally meet this guy and test the instrument there and then. And I'm pretty sure that there're no Warranty on this kinda-sales! Mmh risky way though..

5. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    It's good that you have bought your electric guitar, and I think it should be a good buy, right? I have not thought about buying used musical instruments, and never thought of checking it out in the Facebook groups. Nowadays, we can always get good deals from Facebook groups. This can be a good opportunity to get something we can afford.

6. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I always avoid buying used things, but in some cases it's worth it (I already saved good money that way :)). I've shopped through Facebook groups a few times and have nothing to complain about (but before finalizing the purchase I usually talk a lot with the seller).

7. DavidLee

DavidLeeMember

Threads:
    @Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit It's wise to even meet the guy selling the product personally/physically.. I'm paranoid, but in some case, I've dealt with these kinda purchasement option with no worries..especially when I want that product freaking bad

#7Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    @DavidLee@DavidLee I do not think it's a matter of being paranoid, it's just a security issue... After all, you never know who's on the other side of the screen, right? :D Security always has to come first. :)

#8Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  9. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I cannot see much a difference in Facebook Groups and eBay or Amazon. However, one difference is the fact that eBay or Amazon might allow you to buy on credit. Anyway, I could be wrong, maybe Facebook allows credit. Does it?

10. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @Jason76@Jason76, No it doesn't, it's similar to Olx where you either meet up with the seller or pay first for the seller to ship your product. It doesn't have a check-out option like online stores. It's really just a group for people looking to buy specific items like gadgets, pets, computer parts or sets, etc.

11. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I'd be wary of buying anything from Facebook groups. Unless ofcourse the product is small. I don't think it can make a lot of difference. And that's one reason it'd be reasonable to be buying from reputable sellers. I am sure you can see that some can be good sellers. So make sure you buy with some sort of referral and understanding on that.

12. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Isn't this the same as buying on platforms like Gumtree or ebay or even Amazon? I'm just wondering how buying stuff via a Facebook group is any different from the already established online marketplaces. The only difference I'm able to think of is, the Facebook group also doubles as a place for music lovers to connect and talk about music and instruments.