Buying/using Multiples Of The Same Thing?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Diane Lane • Aug 25, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Despite how tiny my kitchen is, I insist on having multiples of some things that I use frequently. I cook and particularly, bake a lot, and I've found it Handy to have multiple sizes and shapes of cutting boards, as well as measuring spoons and measuring cups. I know people who only have one of each, especially those with smaller homes/kitchens, but for my purposes, it's easier to have multiples, rather than having to stop mid-task and have to wash something out, dry it, and then move on to the next ingredient. Another thing I have and use multiples of is funnels. I have some for non-kitchen tasks also, such as for transferring liquids between containers, and also a few for the car, but I use about 4-5 different sizes in the kitchen for various tasks.

Are there things you double or triple up on, or do you prefer the more simple approach of having just one of each item?

2. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely agree with you. It's time consuming to be washing a certain utensil or container every now and then because it's the only one you have available. I also prefer at least 3 or more of the same thing in my kitchen, especially the spatulas, measuring spoons of different sizes, measuring cups, bowls, pots and pans, oohh, there are so many more. Lol! I think everything has to be at least more than one inside my kitchen. It doesn't matter how many things I have to wash when I'm done cooking or doing my kitchen activities as long as I don't run out of things to use. :)

3. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    It's a great idea to have multiple extras in the kitchen for when you need two of the same thing of basically for when you lose or break one, do not worry, there's another one saved around! I would definitely do this if I was the kind of person that likes doing the same thing as you, I do not really have the time for baking or anything like that because of work/school, but I would definitely consider this idea just in case, thank you for sharing it, it's really nice.

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I too like to have multiples of some things in my kitchen, because when I am cooking and baking I am on the go and do not have time to stop and clean something so that I can use it again. The kitchen is the room I spend the most time in and I have to have all of the tools I need to get the job done. I also do not get rid of all of my pots and pans when I get a new set, I only get rid of the ones that are worn out and save the rest so that I have instant multiples of the pans and pots I really need.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're right, Diane Lane....it's not that easy for people with limited space. I live in a tiny two bed roomed flat, and on top of that, I hate clutter so I couldn't have two of each of my kitchen items. My flat is so small, we can't even fit in a dishwasher and washing machine :( BUT if we did have a lot of space, I'd be tempted to buy two of some of the stuff because it's just the sort of person I am. I like to have things in reserve and even do it with some of favourite clothing items LOL

6. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I have a smaller kitchen so I can't really find the space for multiples of most things. That being said though I do have several chopping boards because I don't like to mix meats with fruits and vegetables, and I do have probably far more cups than I could ever possibly need! Somehow I just seem to accumulate those though. I don't remember actively buying any cups for years, but I seem to have loads anyway!

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's funny that you mentioned spatulas @gracer@gracer. I have a collection of them, but have donated some of the unused ones, because I prefer the really flexible ones to the more firm ones. I am also going to look for another thin one, because I've noticed that is the one I use again and again, while the thicker ones sit by and are only used occasionally. I have one in particular that fits just perfectly in my little egg pan, and I use it at least once a day. I guess i should look for a back up, just in case, since nothing these days lasts forever.

8. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if you also experience this but I notice that I have a favoritism when it comes to spatulas. I always have a favorite spatula whenever I cook, that I use it in almost every cooking I do even if there are other spatulas just hanging there waiting for me to use them. I only get to notice the others when my favorite one wears out. :)