Cable TV, Netflix, Amazon or Hulu Plus?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Plinko • Nov 9, 2013.

1. Plinko

PlinkoMember

Threads:
    I haven't had cable in about ten years, but I don't feel like I am missing much. I used to have Netflix, but then dropped it because I get free movies and tv shows with Amazon Prime. I tried Hulu Plus for about a week, wasn't impressed at all.

Which do you prefer? Do you subscribe to one, all or none?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have cable, but I hardly watch tv at all. I think that since you can also watch movies in Youtube, it's really not worth it to subscribe to Netflix or Hulu. Everything is free now online if you just look for it.

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I took my cable subscription down in early 2000 and I'm really happy about because I have watched cable TV from my friends' homes and I'm glad to have save money because nothing what is nowadays in cable is worth to pay for.

I got Netflix several months ago, but after the first month free, I also cancelled this service because of the same; lack of good movies or TV series to watch and many of those they have, you can find them in YouTube at no cost.

At the very end, I don't really need movie channels or subscription services because I'm not a cinema aficionado and very rarely I'm watching TV today.

4. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    Overall I think Netflix has the best movies and TV shows. They even have there own original series' now which is awesome! I usually stay with Netflix for a couple months at a time and then cancel for a couple months and sign up again since they don't always change up the movies on there but they definitely do every couple months which is awesome.

5. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have Amazon or Hulu Plus, but I have had Cable TV and Netflix before. I used to have Cable TV until I decided to cancel my contract because I didn't have time to sit at home and watch TV. I prefer Netflix because I can watch any movie I watch by selecting to the Netflix DVD plan, which I would choose to receive 3 DVDs at the time. I really like Netflix because they ship my DVDs in a timely manner, which is why Netflix has done very well.

6. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    I have the most basic cable package so that i can get the local digital channels more reliably, and so i can get AMC for Walking Dead. Other than that we use Redbox for movies.

7. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't watch much cable tv either. Most shows can now be found on the internet. If you are looking for ways to save money, this is one the best ways, especially since cable tv has gotten so pricey. I haven't tried Amazon. So, I can't judge that. But I have tried Hulu and Netflix. I prefer Netflix. They have quite a bit of movies and TV shows. But if you have more money to spend, I'd go with something else because Netflix's doesn't offer a lot of A-list movies. TV shows yes, A-list movies no. But they have a great choice of Bollywood and other foreign movies if you're into that.

8. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    With online services taking notice. It becomes harder for cable companies to keep up for varies reason. Having cable in my area is really expensive and is nothing like the golden days. I would rather pay for netflix and hulu then pay for twenty extra channels.

9. erronousRogue

erronousRogueMember

Threads:
    I have a Netflix subscription, although I rarely use it. I have most shows/movies I watch saved on my computer or on DVDs, so there's not much point to streaming it every time I want something. It's great for discovering new stuff though.

10. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    For me I think Cable TV is almost a necessity. I cannot see myself without Cable TV. I won't lie when you think about it rationally, there really is not much purpose with why you should have it. I mean I don't even watch all the channels on my package, but I still require it for entertainment purposes.

11. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I would personally vouch for Amazon Prime. I had Netflix for a while but it seemed like as time went on they had nothing new to offer so I canceled my subscription. I also tried Hulu Plus for the free week and was not impressed at all either. The thing with Hulu is that while they do have a pretty extensive library of movies and television series, the commercials that come on and interrupt your program is a complete turn off. I'm not going to pay for all those advertisements. If Hulu fixed that major error and maybe just advertised using a banner, then maybe I'd be more inclined to use their services. As for cable tv, I don't have it simply because I do not own a tv. So, again I think I would vote for Amazon Prime!

12. SwagYinzer

SwagYinzerNew Member

Threads:
    I have both Amazon Prime and Netflix streaming/dvd rental. I haven't had cable in three years and I miss it a lot. There are some shows that aren't popular enough to become available from online streaming services but I still want to watch them. I want to DVR episodes of UFC unleashed, TNA wrestling, One Man Army, and the latest episodes of my favorite sitcoms. I can't access these shows from Netflix or Amazon, at least not for the price of my basic subscription.

I'm still grateful for my streaming TV services though. Netflix has so many drama serials available for streaming. The pain of losing LOST is eased by Breaking Bad viewing marathons.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have NetFlix. I am really happy with it. I tried Hulu Plus because it some shows that aren't available on Netflix. Plus, they have recently aired shows, but they have commercials. I cancelled after the free trial. They sent me another free trial link. I paused the subscription before the free trial ended. I'm not sure if I will pay for it.

I haven't tried Amazon Prime. It's an upfront purchase, but it's cheaper than Netflix in the long run. One of my favorite shows is only available on Amazon Prime. I haven't decided if I will purchase it or not.

If I did purchase all three, it would still be so much cheaper than cable.

14. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    I use Netflix, and I really like it. I love it because most of the movies and documentaries I want to watch are there, and it's also pretty cheap. I don't like Hulu Plus because it has ads and the quality isn't that great.
    I've never tried Amazon Prime but I've heard good things about it.

15. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't had cable in a super long time, like 9 or 10 years. I live out in a rural area so I have satellite. I have dealt with Netflix before but I can't remember why I stopped dealing with them. I have a subscription to Hulu and I really like it. I have also never tried Amazon Prime because I had completely forgot you could stream movies, I might give it a go though.

16. LisaD

LisaDNew Member

Threads:
    I have had almost all of the services that others have mentioned here, and currently still have a few of them. I did have Amazon Prime, but found they were pretty limited as to what was free with the Prime, and what I needed to pay more for. Hulu Plus was an okay service, but it really did not offer what I wanted. I chose to stay with Netflix and my cable television service. The hubby and I do not go out on dates as we are like many other families, and just do not get the time. When we do have some time we like to curl up in bed with a good movie, or watch the television series that we missed earlier in the week. My children all love both of these options as well. I suppose what people choose for entertainment purposes is really a personal choice. I choose these options because it is something my husband and I both enjoy together.

17. sidd230

sidd230Member

Threads:
    I have cut the cord and solely use Netflix for my media consumption. Honestly, the best service ever. Its so easy to use and cheap. Way better then cable.

18. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    The only reason I have a subscription to Netflix is because my guy has a subscription to Netflix. I only watch it for the documentaries and the original content. I barely watch any television and I absolutely watch the minimal amount of movies a person possibly can. I just lack the time. Hulu did not impress me either. Cable is a waste of money. I have very little experience with Amazon content but I use them for everything else. If their original content is close to their other services, I imagine it might be great.

19. victor

victorNew Member

Threads:
    Cable is the best of all for me, just use it and you will like it, they have varieties of channels so you choose which niche you like to belong in other words you choose what to watch

20. mizzperdue

mizzperdueNew Member

Threads:
    I like Netflix and Hulu because I can watch alot of shows that I grew up watching as a kid. Amazon Prime I just signed up for a few months ago and I haven't tried the movies on there yet.