Cable TV, Netflix, Amazon or Hulu Plus?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Plinko • Nov 9, 2013.

1. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    Hulu has ads for the same reason cable tv has ads. I see a lot of people complain saying "Why do I pay for a subscription then have to watch ads?" Well why do most people pay for cable and still watch ads? Hulu updates there episodes more often and gives you the true cable experience. Something netflix doesn't which is why they do not have ads. It costs more to license recent shows so Hulu has to have ads to help pay for that. So answer the main question here I think netflix and hulu are best when paired together. Only about 14 a month which is cheaper then cable and give you plenty of content to consume. The drawback is that there will be no way to watch live sports that aren't televised on the local channels (at least that I know of).

2. micah13

micah13Member

Threads:
    I tried Amazon and it didn't have a great selection. Hulu Plus seems to have a great selection though, I can't remember the price. Netflix has an awesome selection, though, and a good price. As far as cable TV, it's too expensive and there's never anything good on.

3. bms00

bms00Member

Threads:
    I have only paid for cable in the situation where I had roommates so it wasn't really my decision alone. In a city I don't think it's worth it. I can get about 20 different over-the-air channels for free in HD, so there's no reason to pay $80 a month. Time spent watching TV is wasted, too, so if there are less compelling options on and I'm encouraged to use my time better and watch less TV, that's fine with me.

I am thinking about the Roku box, though. There's no monthly fee, just $50 to buy the box and youre set. With that box, I could access free channels including some sports channels. I don't want Netflix or anything else that gives me an unnecessary monthly bill, but a $50 box is less than one month of cable would cost so I could see paying that.

4. Qualitycontent

QualitycontentMember

Threads:
    I don't have Hulu but I have Netflix and cable TV. I go through stages with them. I heard Bates Motel advertised on TV, so I looked on Netflix and they had the whole first season. I watched that and then I was addicted, and now I watch season 2 on Monday nights. I watched American Horror story on Netflix. I watched season one of Revenge on Netflix, and season 2 on Cable TV. Sometimes I go months without watching Netflix, and sometimes I am writing on the computer and don't watch much TV. But I plan on keeping my Cable TV and Netflix. I never know when I will need to have it.

5. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm kinda old-school---do not have a cell-phone (mostly coz I CAN'T PAY FOR ONE but partly because I don't want "everywhere-ness"), so even 'having to have Cable to watch TV' was an "adjustment" for me.

(Why do we forget the 'poll'-function on these types of questions?)

For me (with

) I'm pretty-sure the 'advertising' is all bought-&-paid-for by the channels sent to COX (i.e. the cable-company isn't PRODUCING 90% of the content, and what they DO produce they give to customers FRE.E). COX sells the equipment that they monitor & the content that the channels feed them.

6. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a user of Amazon Prime and the price has more than paid for itself. As a student, the price is cut in half. Me and my family use the free 2 day shipping all the time and it's been such a nice convenience to have. The movie and TV show selection isn't the best, but there are still plenty of things to watch to get heck of a lot more than your money's worth.

It depends on what you need more. If you're looking for a better selection of movies/TV, Netflix is probably the better choice. If you think you'll take advantage of the 2-day shipping and a decent movie/TV selection, then Amazon Prime is probably the better choice.

7. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I got rid of cable about two months ago. Currently I have subscriptions with Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. I don't miss cable at all. In addition to my subscriptions I purchased a Roku box and Apple TV. With my streaming boxes and subscriptions I find plenty to watch on television, and I am saving money. My cable bill was so expensive. Cutting the cord on my cable is one of the best decisions I made.

8. outdoorgal

outdoorgalMember

Threads:
    I don't use TV at all anymore, just online streaming, so this thread caught my eye.

I've tried Netflix, and just ran out of movies I wanted to watch. For me it was a great service though while I had it because there are no commercials. I love being able to pause a movie, and go right back to it. I think it's spoiled me forever on regular cable or Dish/Direct TV. Amazon I have not tried yet, but I did some research on the movies that are available. They had a few more then what I could find on Netflix, Hulu, or Epix. I am on a 14-day free trial with Epix right now. I have seen some excellent movies, although most of their "stock" seems to be the B movies, with a very, few of the good, old classics mixed in.

I don't feel I am missing anything either, as far as having TV/cable, but sometimes I do miss seeing some of the sitcoms I can't find online. Netflix had some good ones like Frazier, love that show. Now if they would just get The Golden Girls, I would sign up again. Also, Andy Griffith Show is one of my "all time" faves.

The main reason I didn't like Hulu was that I had already had Netflix with no commercials. Again, I got spoiled with Netflix. I may be looking into Amazon a bit more, possibly try it out. I recommend at least taking that free-trial w/Epix because you don't even need a credit card for the 14-days. Some of the movies I got to watch on there are:

The Last Stand
    Star Trek, Into the Darkness
    Jack Reacher
    Secret of the Inca's (old one w/Charlton Heston)
    MUD- Matthew McConahay
    Frozen Ground - Cage, and Cusack

I enjoyed all of those, but I understand we all have different tastes;) Denise

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't think Hulu Plus is worth it at all. Heck, even the free Hulu doesn't really offer much, so I hardly use them any more.

Netflix is pretty good if you want to catch up on old shows. If you're the type who likes to watch shows as they come out live, though, cable is really route to go.

10. outdoorgal

outdoorgalMember

Threads:
    That's true Jessi, and possibly in June, I may go ahead and get hooked to Charter. My roomies have that, and I can hook up as well, just pay the extra, and get a box. I also miss watching the News at times, even though there seems to be nothing but "bad" news. But I would like to be better informed about what else is going on in the world, not just in my own back-yard. That way when others are talking about whats happening, I can have something "hopefully" intelligent to add;) denise

11. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Makes me feel like an "old fogey"---this, and the flood of 'digital devices' flooding in to make my landline-use seem like 'an airplane with a rope tieing it to the ground (while the other airplanes fly free).'

The main differeence I see is the 'on demand'-function ... though my cable has an 'on demand'-function too, the 'on demand' is MOSTLY just to catch the 'scheduled broadcasts' you miss. 'On demand' is all well & good, but it's sort of a 'breaking away from reality' (I know you don't tune-in FOR reality, you probably get plenty of that OFF the couch; but the 'reality' is that Life goes on without you---that 'being on a schedule' is pretty-much the only way to meet-up with REAL people).

And my faith in reality is restored!

12. BlacKnight1090

BlacKnight1090Member

Threads:
    I prefer a mix of Cable TV and Netflix. In recent years, I have lost a lot of interest in these shows coming out. The last thing I truly enjoyed was Breaking Bad. These days I record shows that I think are decent, though most of the time I watch them days after with no urgency. My main reason for watching it is for my sports to be honest. I just need my fix of that and I'm fine. The majority of the time I'm not watching cable.

Netflix has been wonderful for me recently. There were a handful of shows I never gave a chance and it helped me catch up on some series'. You can say it depends on my mood, time of day, and even season on how much I'd put into cable. Netflix works for me all year round.

13. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have the most basic cable possible, I like to watch the local news and see what the weather will be like. My husband watches a lot of TV, so he uses the cable, plus we also have Netflix, and can watch that on the Tv using our Apple TV . I have Amazon prime, so we do have the movies on that, but they can't work with the tv, so neither of us watch that much at all.
    I also tried Hulu+, but we didn't use it very much, so we dropped it again. We can rent the newer movies on Apple TV, and see the older ones on Netflix, and that usually works fine for us.
    I just use my iPad and find things on youtube that I want to watch, and use my headphones for that, so it works fine for me.

14. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    We actually have a Roku box and use Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon (in addition to a few other channels). Even with all three it's much cheaper than cable and it has a better selection. For Amazon, my fiancee and I share her Prime account, and there's plenty on there for free streaming. If there's anything that requires a purchase/rental, we use the Hitbliss app to get credit.

15. J3NN4

J3NN4Member

Threads:
    I have two Xbox 360's and a Roku. It makes more sense for us to use Netflix, and since I have Amazon Prime I get their shows and movies as well. With those, I don't see a need for Hulu, and I didn't like it too much when I had it.

My mom still pays for cable, which I don't understand, but she has a hard time using the Roku I bought for her this past Christmas. It's nice having it, because I can log in to our provider's site and watch shows instantly without waiting if I want to keep up with them, but otherwise I never use it that much.

16. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I have cable TV and Netflix. I use to only have Netflix but after finding out that they don't update movies as much as I would like I reverted back to cable TV. I do however still have my subscription. I have also tried Hulu Plus but it was not what I expected. It barely had full seasons of television shows in most of which were clips. I don't understand why anyone would pay a monthly fee for such a horrible service. I have not try Amazon Prime but I have heard good things about it and I might try it in the future.

17. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    It has been about a year since our family decided to get rid of cable tv. I really thought that it was going to be something that I would miss terribly, but that really hasn't been the case at all. Prior to getting rid of cable television, I did subscribe to Netflix and now that I don't have cable television that is how I do the majority of my television watching. I think that it is great and it is also nearly a hundred dollars less per month than cable television was.

18. LO0715

LO0715New Member

Threads:
    I still pay for cable television, but I have seriously been considering deactivating my service. I am the only one that actually watches cable television in my home, while everyone else watches everything online or on NetFlix. I absolutely love NetFlix, but it doesn't always have the newest of shows and because of this I keep sticking with paying for cable. It doesn't really help that cable is coming out with some amazing new series like Resurrection! I love this show and though its first season just ended, it has me again thinking about whether or not it is going to be worth paying a monthly cable bill for. At the moment I want to say yes! Reality is though, I can always watch the show online a couple of days after it has aired through the website of the main television network channel it airs on. I went 3 years without cable before and it really did save me a lot of money. After reading all of the comments, I think maybe I should reconsider paying for cable and stick to just watching television through other sources. I am definitely going to check out Amazon Prime and see how their service works after reading about it.

19. wenonah

wenonahNew Member

Threads:
    I didn't have cable for approximately 5 years. Last year I got internet cable and I love it. I've never used Netflix or Hulu. I tried Redbox which is similar to Netflix. I liked Redbox. I think consumers need to research more cost effective ways to access this type of entertainment.

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have not had cable in over a year, the savings has been great. We do have Netflix which is ok, but I think I prefer Amazon video to Netflix. I don't look at much tv, most of the programs on are not the type of shows I would like to see.