Cable TV, Netflix, Amazon or Hulu Plus?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Plinko • Nov 9, 2013.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    No, man :( Don't fall to 'peer-pressure'! (although these 'peers' ARE your family) ...

This is why--although all these digital-devices are said to "connect" people more--study-after-study shows that people are getting more-&-more lonely, alone, separated & cut-off. It starts with---No one DEPENDS UPON anyone else to entertain themselves! I remember back when I COULDN'T-watch TV 0r -see a movie without mommy or daddy (and sometimes both)!

When I asked 'why we couldn't' (if daddy was there without mommy, or vice-versa), the grownup would reply to me with the myth that we needed 'the love' of the whole family to keep the power going :rolleyes:

How can we bring that back, please? :eek:

2. nickjt

nickjtNew Member

Threads:
    The only thing that I miss about cable is being able to watch live sports. I get all of the tv programs that I miss through a combination of other streaming services. I may have to wait a bit longer for some programs but very few people watch shows live to discuss the next day anymore.

3. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Cable doesn't exist where I live, so it's the dish. That said, I also have Netflix both streaming and dvd. Tho their service on the dvd has been a little slow lately. I love Netflix because I get to pick what I want to watch when I want to watch it. It's not a matter of this OR that, as in dish OR another. It's that to get it all covered, not just one service will do it.

4. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    I don't really watch too many TV shows/Movies at all. I don't think there are too many TV shows worth watching so I don't bother with cable. Netflix and all of the other services are too expensive when you consider the fact that you can get the shows and movies for free on other sites. When do want to watch something, I go to Youtube. I get most of my entertainment from YouTube.

5. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    We have cable and also subscribe to Netflix. We tried Hulu Plus once just so we could catch up on a season of a TV show we discovered on...Netflix! :) I really like the new movies and TV shows that Netflix has been adding. A few years ago, you couldn't find many recent movies or even popular movies but that has definitely changed lately.

I do not have Amazon Prime (even though I know for a fact I would use it) because I can't justify that much money as an up-front cost. If they would offer a monthly fee, I would do it in a heartbeat.

All this being said, we have toyed with the idea of dropping cable and just having Netflix and then I would probably subscribe to Prime as well. However, I like to watch a lot of cooking shows and Lifetime movies. My husband also loves his NASCAR races. I don't think we could get either of those option through Netflix or Prime. So until that happens, we're sticking with our digital cable.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been meaning to try Amazon, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I've been very pleased with Netflix, I just wished they would expand their selection even further, and start including more TV shows. Also, their web browser experience can be buggy at times, often crashing my computer. I believe this is due to Silverlight problems, but I haven't heard when they plan to completely phase it out.

Hulu Plus is a total waste of money. It's like they don't even care about their consumers. They give them the same crappy experience and the same limited selection if you are a paying or a free user. The amount of additional content a paid user gets is really very little. And they are very deceptive in making it look like they have a lot of content that they really dont. They will have pages for TV shows I want to watch, and when I get to them, it's just redirecting me off to some non-Hulu site, or worse yet, all those shows listed are just sample clips from the episode, not the full episode.

Hulu is also littered with commercials, and they play the same ones over and over again ad nauseum.

7. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I have Cable Tv and Netflix. The only time I use Netflix is when I want to watch shows. Netflix has almost every episode that has come out on TV. I like cable because I watch the ID channel. I love watching shows about crime.