Cable TV

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by toradrake • Dec 10, 2014.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @sidney@sidney, you are right with that expensive rate. But what can we do now? We have no better choice since the competition is not at par with Sky Cable. By the way, Sky is the largest cable system owned by the country's largest tv and radio network - ABS-CBN.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hehe Sidney, you're funny LOL You know, I always thought Botswana winter is pretty mild. But wow, this year, we're really feeling it. Even my English husband is moaning, and wants our roasting summer back. Yea, that one that seems to last almost all year. I'm not so sure. He absolutely hates how cold it's been recently. -and it's set to get worse from tomorrow!

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens, Yeah, since their service isn't available then you have to put up with it. I didn't know ABS-CBN owns it, no wonder they charge so high. What are the service issues of Cignal and Globe?

@Lushlala@Lushlala, I didn't know Botswana had winter, lol. Is it in the west or east? Over here, the 1st world Asian countries have winter like Korea, Japan, China, etc. The 3rd world ones don't have it! Lol.

4. Lushlala

Threads:
    Hehe Sidney! Yes, we do have winter LOL and it gets so cold that my husband is not happy at all. I mean, Botswana is a semi arid desert, and deserts are known for their extreme weather patterns. It can go from very cold to very hot. It's right across the country, too. Luckily, it only lasts about 2 months, and then we're back to it being boiling hot. Personally, I prefer the cooler months.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, I thought that Botswana has only 2 seasons, lol. Saudi Arabia has a desert too, but there's no winter there! Which country do you prefer to live in, the UK or Botswana?

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now that we have the Internet, Cable TV has somewhat become redundant. I still like to watch cable from time to time but the commercials are annoying and you don't really have control over what you want to watch. I mean, I can't be bothered to wait for another episode when I can just watch everything in one go at streaming sites. It's just that I feel bad for cable companies. The old folks still like to watch television, though, so if you can afford the additional expense, then by all means subscribe to one. It's truthfully more cost-efficient if you don't.

7. Lushlala

Threads:
    You're not too far from the truth there, Sidney! It feels very much like we only have the summer and winter, with the summer months dominating! In terms of where I prefer to live, ideally I would like to live in both countries; half the year in the UK, and the other in Botswana. However, for as long as money is an object, that will forever remain but a dream :(

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We did without cable for about 2 years. I was fine with not cable just using Netflix and Hulu. To get a better internet speed my daughter signed up for cable. It's ok but I don't have to pay the bill, I pay for Netflix and Hulu.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, I see, how often does it rain over there? Well I'm pretty sure anyone who has the money would want to live and travel abroad! :)

10. Lushlala

Threads:
    Sidney, sadly Botswana doesn't get much rain. Certainly nowhere near enough to sustain us. When it does rain, it proper chucks it down, complete with fantastic thunder and lightening. We're grappling with an ongoing drought and it's been years! This is the one place where when it rains, I don't moan at all. In fact, I join in the celebrations.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, Well, if the summer season that you have there is "tolerable", then there's no need for the rainy season! Over here, the summer season is really hot, so we can't wait until it's done!

12. Lushlala

Threads:
    Sadly, we have no such luck, Sidney! The summer months last what seems like most of the year and are intensely HOT. With that comes the mosquitoes and flies, which are actually more annoying than the heat itself. I personally would rather have longer winters here, because in as much as we complain, the temperature never drops below zero. So it's still bearable. I mean so far this winter, I've only worn thick cardigans and blazers, no heavy coats.

Well, we need the rain because we're in dire shortage of water. The situation is so bad that we get water rations. For instance, where I live, we have to ensure we're all showered by 0930hrs every Saturday because the water is shut off until say about 1600hrs!

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, Maybe your government can try cloud seeding? So if your area has started to ration water, then I'm sure you have a bunch of those large, plastic water containers to store water in?

14. Lushlala

Threads:
    @sidney@sidney, I wish I could influence the decision makers, but I can't :( But apparently they're now exploring very innovative initiatives in order to address the situation. Fingers crossed it pays off :)

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, Well over here that's what they do when they want rain. They ought to make better use of the taxpayer's money. :)

16. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Dealing with cable is by far the worst. They're a bunch of filthy thieves who just want your money. I canceled mine awhile back already and have been using Roku for quite awhile. It has basically replaced my cable because I can use netflix, hulu and basically watch any channel or show I want on demand. I also spend a lot of time watching on my laptop now because it's quite convenient to be able to pull anything I want to watch right in front of me. Most of the series or shows I watch are mostly free anyways so it saves me a lot of money. Rather spend it on myself then give the money to the cable companies.

17. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    Yes I have cable and it is insanely expensive but we love it. We have netflix too which is great for watching their original series and shows you love but when we had just netflix we found ourselves getting bored of what was on there. I tried Hulu on e with one of heir free promotions and didn't like it as much as having cable.

18. bsthebenster

bsthebensterNew Member

Threads:
    We got rid of our cable recently. I can't believe how much money we are saving doing so. We hardly used our cable so it's not much of a loss for us. When we canceled our company charged us for two months of cable we already canceled. I'm really glad I called the company to straighten this problem out. I would have lost a couple hundred dollars if I had payed it without question. It was an big eye opener when their system maked a mistake with such a large amount.

19. mooray

moorayNew Member

Threads:
    Cable tv is overrated and I do not pay for it. I only subscribe to FTA channels and download or stream my favorite tv shows online. Heck! As long as I have the internet, I can survive with TV.

20. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I stopped paying for cable tv about 3 years ago. Every time I decided to watch tv I would just flip through channels endlessly and never watch a single show. Nowadays I just pay for Hulu and Netflix so I can watch the shows I want whenever I feel like it. I haven't missed cable at all since I got rid of it.