Cable Worth It?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Belovedad • Oct 27, 2016.

1. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    Is it worth buying a cable subscription these days. I barely have time these days to sit down and watch the television for hours and everything that is even relatively important is usually placed on the internet. I just wonder if it makes sense paying that bill every month.

2. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    If you are already retired or you simply just have lots of money to spare then I guess it won't hurt to have a cable subscription at home, we do have one even if my dad also has wi-fi as well. And he also still buys newspapers everyday, take note. We have the basic subscription, and we pay $11.40 per month, and that is already inclusive of $1.15 extra fee if you have another tv that you want to have cable as well. So I think that if you have free time, then it's worth it to have a subscription, because streaming can be a hassle if your internet service provider is crappy.

3. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I gotcha, but I'm saying like, couldn't the internet be invested in with like half what you're paying for cable now? Pretty sure it wouldn't be crappy. Also, I think the old people that come from this generation will be way different.

4. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    What do you mean? Like we pay more for our internet connection so that it won't be crappy? I'm not in charge of paying the bills, but I know our wi-fi is part of the bundle plan of my brother's network, like has a postpaid subscription with wi-fi in it.

5. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    As long as I have internet, I wouldn't buy a subscription of cable television. There are many sites and YouTube channels that upload shows and movies that I like. Any other new series on television that isn't on the internet isn't really needed for me.

6. JoushaP

JoushaPNew Member

Threads:
    It's not. Why pay for something to be on 24/7, when you're not watching it all day and night? If you have internet connection then that alone should take care off all of your entertainment needs. As the shows that you are most interested in can be found on their networks website free to watch at any time. Cable and satellite is old tech created when there was no internet.

7. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly, most of the people I know that still have a full service cable are the elderly. It is somewhat understandable given your perspective. Pity they may never find out the joys of the internet.

8. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a cable subscription and I have no plans of getting one. I hardly watch TV or movies and these are not my favorite forms of entertainment. I have most everything I need in my laptop and my internet subscription. The only thing I get from my TV is the newscast and I'm perfectly fine with the new channels. There are cable providers that also offer internet as part of their monthly services but the 1 gig cap is too low for my requirements.

9. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    If you don't have time for TV, cable subscription is just a waste of money. I don't have time for TV, for entertainment I either go to movie or use my laptop to watch movie or surf the internet. However, I have subscribed TV because my wife works part time and she has a lot of time. If my wife was a full time worker, I would have never subscribed TV.

10. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    If you don't have the time to sit and watch TV most of the time, then I think having a cable subscription isn't a good idea. I don't say that it's a waste of money since you're using the service, although not that much. But just like what some of the comments say, most of the things you can watch on TV can be found on the internet, whether it's a TV series, programs or news.

I never had a cable subscription for a long time and I'm absolutely fine with it. I guess it just depends on your usage and what do you use it for :)

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have cable and it's costly. My Mom watches a lot of television and she has her favorites, so we have cable which costs about $80 monthly! I'm thinking of going to sling, but I don't know about them yet. I got to do research on sling before I commit to them for my Mom loves her television programs.

12. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Is it just a matter of choosing Internet connection and cable subscription for your news update and anything that has been transpired around you and even the whole world? If you are a busy person and you don't have time to watch all those things, Internet would be the best solution for that. Anytime, you could access the Internet and even anywhere as long as you have it in your mobile phone or in your handy laptop. To have a cable subscription, you have a limited access I presume and you have to pay the monthly subscription just like your Internet subscription. Anyway, it is your own choice or preference on what to have or even both as long as you pay the monthly subscription.

13. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    The short answer is no, but I do have to admit that I miss having some of the channels that I used to have. I do not miss the payments, of course, but having ESPN is nice.

14. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    Cable prizes vary and you can single out the channels you love and subscribe to only those. You won't have to pay too much for additional channels that you don't watch. In my country there's this option. But if you can't subscribe to specific channels, then avoiding it is the best option.

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a DTH connection which offers different plans for different uses. In fact that gives you a chance to chose from number of channels of your choice with a base pack that includes certain common channels including news and entertainment. What you wish to add is your choice and the base pack is as low as $3 per month.

16. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a spoiled boy when it comes to cable channels. We have the Sky Cable connection in the living room and I availed of the promo of Cignal Cable. So many channels for almost the same cost of the Sky Cable. What I wanted in Cignal Cable were the sports channels particularly the UFC bouts of mixed martial arts fighters. In the near future, I might have the Sky Cable disconnected and install an extension of Cignal Cable in its place.

17. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have Videocon d2h connection and it is a flexible service. You are allowed to chose their packages or ala carte and recharge as you wish and when you need. They are quite economical with bonus free channels too.

18. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    We have Tata Sky subscription, and we need it. Even though we have couple of high speed internet connections as well, but TV is still an integral part.
    The people who are acquainted with technology can access everything through net, but not all at home are equipped to use internet. Especially for the senior citizens we need cable services as well.

19. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I think having internet available is enough as everything could be found there. As I do enjoy everything on the internet I also think is good to have a TV for the entire family to enjoy watching together on a bigger screen. I really wouldn't have time to watch TV anyway so buying a cable subscription is not one of my choices.