Calcium For Weight Loss

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by iluvmario • Sep 14, 2012.

1. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen and read numerous studies that prove high calcium diets promote weight loss and fat loss(especially belly fat).
    Calcuim supplements worked well and low fat dairy worked even better. The amount of calcuim consumed a day was 1100mg to 1200mg.

Also calcium blocks alot of fat absorption from food. The more calcium you have floating around in your system the better. I saw a live study on BBC about this.

2. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I've read these studies, too. I don't know if I agree. Not only do I take calcium supplements, but I get a lot of calcium in my daily diet. My belly is still my biggest concern.

3. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I have to question this for a particular reason, perhaps high dosages of Calcium would help you to lose weight, but I read recently that taking too much Calcium, could increase your risk of a heart attack. So I would be careful increasing doses of Calcium, might be a bad idea. Some yes, a lot, questionable.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard about the studies linking calcium to weight loss. I have heard that ingest too much calcium is bad for the heart. I will stick with other ways of losing weight.

5. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I too am wary about taking any supplement in excess just to see an end-result, such as weight-loss. A calcium supplement, like the one recommended to prevent osteoporosis, is still fine. If that does the trick of helping you lose weight, then it's a bonus. But, does it really work? The amount of calcium in that study, you say, is 1100-1200mg, which I don't think is really all that excessive, since the RDA is 1000mg (

).

6. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I, too, have read about too much calcium from supplements can be bad for your heart. But getting a lot of calcium from your food and beverage choices is okay. Since reading a few of those articles, I've decided to stop taking calcium and just concentrate on getting it through dairy and leafy greens. Who knows? Maybe a year from now they'll say, "Sorry, we got it wrong. It seems taking a lot of calcium in the form of supplements is actually great for your heart." (sigh) They go back and forth so much, don't they?

7. derpybird

derpybirdMember

Threads:
    The calcium study sounds promising. I think we should all make sure we get enough calcium. I am intrigued about the part where you said it blocked fat absorption. You have to be careful with taking calcium supplements. They often don't dissolve properly and could cause kidney stones. I believe in getting calcium from dairy and vegetables. I know that broccoli has large amounts of it. Even if one consumes enough calcium you still have to watch how much you eat in order to keep the fat off your belly, that's just common sense.

8. Samules

SamulesNew Member

Threads:
    I take products, but I get a lot of calcium mineral in my eating habits. My tummy is still my greatest issue. I would be cautious improving amounts of Calcium, might be a bad concept.

9. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Something about this sounds fishy to me. I would imagine that having a balanced diet in general would be way more effective than taking supplements of any particular mineral.

10. brittanyt28

brittanyt28Member

Threads:
    I will have to look into that myself as I have been trying to lose a slight pudge in my belly. I have never heard of that before but good luck to everyone. I have never tried any particular diet plan, as I feel most of the time healthy. I love milk, so maybe I will try to drink more. Good luck to all!

11. Seymour

SeymourNew Member

Threads:
    Yes it's right to some extent that calcium foods are good to improve the body growth and promote the weight loss process because these foods burn the fat and help to get a slim body.

#11May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013