Calcium needs

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Dec 29, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't drink cow milk for long years now, so I am guessing that my body doesn't have too much calcium. I have lots of issues with my teeth, so I am wondering if there is a connection? Anyone doesn't drink cow milk either and has issues with the teeth?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cows get their calcium from the greens they eat.. so just imagine how much calcium would be in commercial cows milk if they didn't actually put it in there themselves. They don't eat greens anymore. You don't need animals for any of your nutritional needs, so you can definitely get calcium in many other ways. Just look into plant based diets/recipes. You don't have to be plant based, but it's a great way to find ideas. And lack of calcium isn't the only way teeth will suffer.. if you don't get enough K2, the calcium you do consume won't make it to where it needs to be and Vitamin D is essential for that job as well. Make sure you have a well rounded diet, with all the essentials and your teeth (and the rest of your body) will heal in awesome ways :)

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Milk isn't the only source of calcium. Do you eats white beans, fish, oranges? Then you probably get all the calcium you need. What's causing your problems therefore probably is something entirely different. As JosieP suggests, you needn't concern yourself only with how you'll get more calcium but rather focus on how the whole body can get all minerals, vitamins, etc it needs — it could end up solving your problem.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Thanks for the answers guys. Josie, you seem to be a nutritional expert, have you considered selling nutritional programs? I would apply for one from you, for sure! :) I try to eat as balanced as I can, but sometimes I don't. I also heard that when we drink milk, there is some acid (?) from the animal that destroys the calcium? How complex can nutrition be!!

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish! I'm obsessed with health and food is the single most important thing we do for our bodies, so it's naturally something I study quite a bit.. but quite a bit of what I know (or what think I know lol) comes from experience with myself and others. From all of our stories, which to me, speaks so much louder than text. As you said, nutrition is complex and our bodies go far beyond that, so it's best to keep it simple. Instead of trying to figure the body out completely, because it will never happen, go with what we do know. What we do know, is what makes our bodies thrive and what doesn't. For the most part anyway. Vitamins and minerals keep us from disease, so it goes without saying that we should be maintaining a diet high in the good stuff and far far less of those manipulated by man. We've come a long way and as much as I think they hurt us, I appreciate how far we've come in our knowledge and skill.. but our bodies don't care! lol.. just give it what it needs :)

and thank you! :)

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, that happens with all of us, nutrition is complex and I am now studying food sensitivities, I am considering to take the ALCAT test (have you heard of it?) because doctors simply don't know anything about allergies or food sensitivities, it's an unexplored area IMO.

Pretty much, one step at a time wiser right? :)

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad you're taking matters into your own hands. You're right, there is a lot doctors just don't know. I can't even count how many people I know with gut issues due to how they've eaten their whole lives. Nobody listens until it's too late and they're forced to eat properly or die. These people though, all go to their doctors who tell them to take some fibre from a bottle and call it a day. Oh, and not one mention of how they eat.. or if they do, they get that gawd awful response "everything in moderation"... UGH how I hate that word!! hahaha. Or they'll do some tests, not know what it is exactly and slap a label on it that's "close enough". Most of them got the IBS label and I sure as hell don't agree with it. They all have different symptoms and I know IBS presents in different ways, but these are vastly different problems and not one of them were narrowed down enough to help them. Even many doctors will admit, they don't know much of anything when it comes to gut issues. Go online and read stories.. so so many people going to each other for help because they aren't getting it from their doctors. Sorry for the ramble..

I do hope you figure it out though, Gelsemium. Why do you think you have allergies? If you don't mind me asking...

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I have allergies since I am a kid and I have improved a lot mainly through homeopathy, but this goes beyond allergies it's food sensitiveness and it's something widely unexplored. Doctors these days just want what give them profit I am afraid. Just imagine the effect of dozens of chemicals entering our body daily eh? Insane right?

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, exactly. We're eating, breathing and drinking more garbage than ever in our history. I'm amazed we're not all walking, talking balls of goo by now lol. Well, I do hope you get it all figured out. And in a way that actually helps you, not your doctor. I do get very frustrated with them, as you've probably picked up by now lol.. I think all things can be cured. Sadly, in a doctor's office, we may only ever see bandaids. I do have hope for many of our future doctor's though.. I'm seeing a change coming.

10. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    Do you not drink milk because you don't like it? Or are you lactose intolerant? While milk is a great source of calcium, it is definitely not the only source. It is just easier to tell the general public that "milk does a body good" rather than tell them to eat a healthy diet with a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. For example, one cup of broccoli has as much calcium as a half cup of milk. Same for oatmeal. Almost all nuts and seeds have at least some calcium. So as long as you have a varied diet full of healthy foods, you probably don't need to be concerned.

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I love milk, but I don't drink it because it makes me feel bad. I get more mucus in my nose and throat and I feel overall bad. I think that slowly the awareness that milk is bad have been increasing and more and more people don't drink it.

12. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I have some issues with my teeth, but I get calcium through cheese and yogurt or even ice cream. However, I don't drink cow's milk either or any kind of milk for that matter. I never thought of connecting that with problems with my teeth, but this brings ups a good case. As a woman you also need more calcium for your bones, so maybe I should be rethinking my diet and see if that helps. I hear that you need to be building the calcium all your life, so I wonder when it is too late to bother? Perhaps a calcium supplement could work for those of us who don't like to drink milk.

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Milk isn't the only source of calcium. It's very prevalent in some vegetables and other foods. If you are actually having a healthy and proper diet, then I don't think that you are deficient with calcium despite that you don't drink milk. With your teeth, there could be many reasons why they are like that. One is calcium deficiency. The only thing is that if you are really calcium deficient, it wouldn't only affect your teeth, but your bones as well. So you must also be suffering from some bone problems. But if you think that your bone is healthy and functioning well, then it could be the hygiene of your teeth that's causing your problems in the said area.

14. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I suggest taking some calcium supplements because when our body ages, we won't have the ability to outsource calcium anymore. That's why it's required to take supplements.

I currently take a really good and safe calcium supplement called 'Xtra Cal' and it's from the company Herbalife. I actually use a lot of products from Herbalife so I can really trust them.

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not a good idea if you don't know what your particular issues are. If you take added calcium and don't have the other necessary nutrients running amok in your body, that calcium will be used in unhealthy and possibly fatal ways. If you want to improve your teeth and overall health by consuming the right vitamins and minerals for YOU, you should be tested to see where your deficiencies lie. Dental issues don't just come down to calcium..