Call your cable providers bluff

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by illusion • Oct 30, 2013.

1. illusion

illusionMember

Threads:
    Here's a challenge. Call your cable or internet provider. Tell them you want to drop your service because it's too expensive. See if they offer you some incredible discounts. They usually will. If they do accept them and let us know if you were able to save any money on your monthly bills. If, on the other hand, they don't and they tell you that they'll be happy to terminate your service. Tell them that you our going to rethink your decision and end the call. You have nothing to lose and tons of money to save. So, give it a shot.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Their jobs are threatened if they don't hit a quota, they will definitely make an offer. They will even offer you pretty much what you already have, because it will count as a whole sale. They'll even go so far as to switch it up for you and lie about certain aspects of your new vs old package, just to get the sale.. leaving you with a bigger bill next month, but hey.. they get the sale. So make sure you get their names before dealing with them, in case you need to call back to have the sneaky charges dealt with. Not that they'll give you their real names. Be careful with these companies. good for you if you end up with savings.. but you could also end up down an expensive road.

3. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I know numerous people who have found this successful. You just have to be stern with them and make it seem as if you are actually going to drop. A lot of times they will hook you up with a deal that only new customers can get. It is really worth a try if your bill is too high.

4. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    The only problem I have with this is it seems that when you sign up for cable and internet they always make you sign up for a 1-2 year contract so if you do end up cancelling, they make you pay hundreds of dollars. Then you are the one who is sort of screwing yourself over if they don't give you the deal and end up cancelling and the companies don't really have much to lose since they are still getting your money one way or another. Anyone try doing this when locked into an agreement? It would probably work if you have had service more then a year or two with the companies, but for me I don't think it would since I just started service a couple months ago and had to basically get locked into an agreement since there aren't a lot of options in the small town I live in now.

5. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I usually do this 2 years when my loyalty discount on Virgin Media runs out. Usually the guy on the phone is great and just give me the usual discount. But sometimes, the operator kicks up a fuss, then I will be kicking up a fuss about leaving, and that usually does the job and I'll get lower broadband rates again.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have found that calling the cable company and telling them that the bill is too high and you want to disconnect does usually result in them finding a new and wonderful plan that you can subscribe to, and you then save money.
    Just this month, Comcast raised my bill by an unexpected $20-some dollars. I called and complained, and the lady said there was nothing she could do except put us on the economy plan that just gives you the local channels. Since we watch Fox News and The Weather Channel, amoung other things; I didn't want to be put down to the economy plan.
    After hanging up, my husband and I talked it over, and I called back and asked for a sales rep this time instead of billing.
    This lady was very friendly, and even though she could not put us on a cheaper plan either; she did find a special that geve us a lot more for the money. Instead of only getting about 30-40 channels, we now get 140 channels, plus some of the premuim ones. So, while I am still not happier with the more expensive payment, I am at least happier that we are getting more for our money now.