Camping foods

Discussion in Food & Drink started by JosieP • Jan 14, 2014.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm already thinking about summer and all the outings and camping we'll be doing. It got me thinking about the foods we'll be bringing and now I'm on the hunt for more variety. We're not big on hot dogs and hamburgers, but we will have lots of meat there. We'll also have our own version of S'mores for the kids. Lots of salads, eggs etc. What types of food do you bring on camping trips? The usual, or do you eat the way you usually do, tweaked for camp fire cooking?

2. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    S'mores are definitely a must when you go camping. It's not complete without it. I always pack sandwiches too as they are always handy.

3. The FruGal

The FruGalNew Member

Threads:
    Aluminum foil is your friend when it comes to camping....you can do so much it so be sure to bring it along. From baked potatoes 'in their jackets' to steaming foil packets of fish or vegetables or corn cobs, you'll find it very useful indeed. Here's a link to some handy camping recipes.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I love making sturdy sandwiches on long loaves of hard crusty bread. Sometimes I will load them up with roasted hot and sweet peppers, olive, marinated artichokes, smoked provolone and other cheeses, maybe a pesto, etc... Other times I will do something more along the lines of a Mufaletta. Even some shredded rotisserie chicken, greens, and a brown mustard/mayo mixture is great too.

A friend of mine even made french onion soup on the fly by peeling and coring some onions, then adding beef bouilion cubes, butter and a little water in the center - then wrapping them in foil and letting them roast until everything was tender.

5. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I always bring can foods, cooking pots and pans. I also bring a lot of ham, bread and lettuce to make sandwiches. I use the front of the car to keep the food warm, wrap the food up in aluminum foil and place them on top of the engine.

6. avasmom

avasmomMember

Threads:
    What a wonderful idea! Thank you for this recipe. I will definitely give this a try.

On the rare occasions when we go camping I take Knorr sidekicks and add in canned tuna or canned salmon for protein. You can stock up on the sidekicks when they go on sale. Last week I picked up a dozen packs at just under $1.00 each.

7. Francy

FrancyMember

Threads:
    We usually pack the usual...hamburgers, hot dogs. However, we had a friend recently introduce us to pizza on the grill. You can buy packaged pizza dough, which we made at the camp sight and just throw it on the grill with all of your toppings. It's a non traditional type of camping food, but very easy and good.