Camping To Save Money

Discussion in Travel started by prose • Mar 1, 2016.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Camping is ok if the weather is warm and dry but my memories of getting soaked and being cold as a child do not inspire me to do it as an adult. I would however travel in a camper van even though space can be a bit restricted. My granddaughter likes to camp out in the back garden so I can see her taking a camping holiday when she gets older. Maybe the thought is more exciting when you are a child .. but it's not for me.

2. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Its a great way to see the country -living in a RV or just vacationing also for a week or so. I seached youtube one year looking for videos on boondocking-which is basically free camping,generally out in the boondocks. This is a very frugal way of travel, and I found a video on youtube that showed these kinds of people-and some had some really nice and expensive RVs,but what was great they had their own power with generators and they(older retired people)gave their houses to their kids and decided to live the rest of their lives in a RV. In the winter they showed a big group of RVers in death valley -camping out which was very interesting.

3. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Hi, yes sometimes we chose this method to save money. This happens 2 -3 times a year, mostly when we go to mountains in the summer time. But when we go to the sea we prefer to rent an apartment or a room to a motel.

4. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I think that camping itself is an adventure that one should experience at least once in a lifetime. As for saving on accommodations by booking yourself in a campsite, this isn't always an available option for travelers. They're mostly available on places where there are outdoors activities or interesting sites to explore as in mountains (for hikers) or at beach resorts. In most cases, campsites are the most convenient accommodation one could have owing to their proximity. I would advise, however, to prioritize safety/security over saving money or convenience.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We regularly go on a family camping trip once or twice a year, usually for an overnight stay in the campsite. The weather is a big factor so it is usually during summer that we go to a campsite. It is actually bonding time for families of my wife's siblings. What a big savings for the accommodation and also the food because we have to bring our own food that always include barbecue, of course, Compared to staying in a resort, we spend in a camping trip just about 20% of the expenses only.

6. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Actually we use to go for camping and hiking frequently as we enjoyed it lot. But personally I never thought about saving money by choosing this one. But yes one can save money lot instead of going hotels and other stuff. And I am sure camping is much more enjoyable too in compare of any hotels. But yes one need big enough group to enjoy it. If people are limited then I guess hotel is better option.

7. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    In as much as I agree with you that camping while away from home is a great way to save money instead of lodging in a hotel or motel, I still think that if the target alone is to save cost, then camping is the best available option aside checking up if a friend stays in such locations.

However, camping may not offer the kind of comfortability and relaxed mind lodging in a hotel gives which is really another angle you should look at it while going on a journey.

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    It might sound tough at the beginning or when planning it out. My guess is though, if you compare at the end what you saved versus staying somewhere, it would make it well worth it.