Can Anyone Recommend A Streaming Service To Me?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by writer811 • Aug 3, 2012.

1. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    I need to get a cheaper alternative to cable and I would like to watch television and movies online. I need a service that has captions and subtitles (Good ones, not the Youtube quality ones) because I have hearing problems. I was thinking of going with Hulu Plus but I hear they don't have that many shows. Can anyone recommend anything better to me?

2. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    Well, in terms of streaming you'll need a few of them to equate television normally.

Hulu Plus and Netflix as a combination is a good start. Together they'll run you $16 a month The only have a vast number of shows on Hulu, but they normally DO have the latest ones a day after they air.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried Amazon Prime? That's pretty much the only one that I would be interested in right about now because it would serve two purposes for me with their shipping and their video library. The price for Amazon Prime is less than what Netflix would be for a year.

4. inb4

inb4Member

Threads:
    I'd have to go with Netflix simply because it's easy to use, and affordable. I watch all my shows on netflix unless it's the really new ones. The movie selection is also solid for a streaming service.

It's a great monthly investment in my opinion.

5. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    Netflix is great. Wide selection, shows and films, affordable, online; it has anything and everything you could want from such a service in my opinion.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like getting Netflix and Hulu. I love Hulu for the TV shows and Netflix for the movies. $16 a month is considerably cheaper than cable.

7. sinuous

sinuousNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with pretty much everyone here, you're not gonna get anything better than Hulu and Netflix. Netflix usually has tons of movies, and even a few TV shows. Hulu has pretty much all the TV shows you'll ever want to watch.

8. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to go with a combination of Hulu and netflix like everyone suggests and I'll try Amazom Prime too. Just one question though, isn't Netflix a lot more expensive now than it used to be? And didn't they cut back on the size of their selection? I could be misinformed, correct me if I'm wrong!

9. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    If it is, it used to be dirt cheap. The $8 price people are mentioning is current, though.

They might have cut back, if they did, I didn't notice. Being Canadian I get less than half the selection you get in the US and I'm perfectly satisfied, so I doubt it's a real issue for anyone.

10. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I'm going to buck the trend here and advise against Hulu Plus. There's no way I will pay for that service until they remove commercials for paying customers.

Netflix is good, easy to use but has run a bit expensive. I would go with Amazon Instant Video. It seems to have a better streaming selection than Netflix.

11. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    Alright, thanks. If the cutbacks aren't really an issue and the price isn't that bad, I think I'm still going to go with it. Also, tommymac, we need commercials. Commercials are the only reason tv shows exist at all. If there is no financial incentive for people to make them, then they won't. Trust me, more commercials is a good thing.

12. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    Commericals are necessary but do we need to see the same commercial over and over again? I don't think most people have problems with commercials but people do get upset when they watch more commercials and less content. Regarding your original question, the combination of Netflix and Hulu is unbeatable so you have made the right decision.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Great information. I also needed to know which to get so that I could like at more shows. I would like to add there are shows on google play, I am not sure of the price.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been very happy with Netflix - not so much with Hulu because they still force you to watch commercials. The other thing to keep in mind is that these services, especially Netflix, have a lot of additional programs that your cable company probably didn't offer. I got hooked on quite a few new shows when I got on Netflix, and it was cool to have the whole season(s) available to me instead of having to wait a week for each episode.