Can buying your products online save you money?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by messlisa • May 7, 2013.

1. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Saving money actually depends on the company. There are those companies that offer free shipping that is if you are in the same country or else you will have to pay for shipping yourself. To add on that, some countries will need to tax the item before the owner can actually get it.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It certainly can. I have bought books and personal care items for a lot less than I would pay here in my town. They are even cheaper coming from overseas, and the postage and handling fees are very reasonable. I order a lot of things from iherb, and have saved thousands of dollars over the years with them. They deliver promptly. My orders usually arrive from the USA in Australia within 3 working days. I can always depend on it. I have also ordered books in the past that I got for less than half the price that I would have paid here.

3. Jennyflower81

Jennyflower81New Member

Threads:
    Yes definitely. I order everything except for groceries online, and wouldn't have it any other way. It saves me money because I use sites with free shipping. I especially love Amazon.com and I use their Prime shipping service, which I got at a discount because I use my student email address. It costed me $39 for a year of free shipping on almost anything, which is less than I'd spend in gas to drive to the stores all the time. I love the selection, and being able to shop from my computer, in peace and quiet, without dealing with aggravations of other shoppers or waiting in long lines. Online shopping is priceless to me, because I am a busy mom with a disability. I have, on occasion, had to send something back because it didn't fit or whatever, but most of the time I get what I'm expecting. I also am able to make better decision based on reviews from other shoppers who bought the items. I can compare prices easily, and find things that would not be sold in a store. The other way it saves me money is I am not apt to impulse buy things, which is likely in stores that strategically merchandise products for that reason.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yes it can. Most online merchandise come directly from stock rooms. Those products that you buy from malls and stalls, they usually charge an extra because of the rent for the space their using and some shipping and other miscellaneous spending on their side. Also, shopping online saves you time and money for transportation if you're going out to buy something. The only thing I dislike about online shopping is that you're not quite sure about the shipping, specially when you're living outside main cities, it could sometimes take days or even weeks for your package to arrive. Also, you're not quite sure about the quality, unlike in stores where you can actually test out a product before buying it.

5. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Oh there is no doubt that it can save you money, what I do is when I look for someone online I will visit a number of different online sites and save myself even more money by finding out if there are sites offering it at a cheaper price than other online sites. I don;t think the reason you get things cheaper online has changed, it is because offline shops have to HAVE the item in their shop before they can offer it for sale, online sites don't have that problem.

6. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I've saved a lot of money shopping online, especially with electronics. I think now is a good time to shop for any high end items that a person may be interested in since the government is really pushing for companies to include a sales tax online as MakingCents has mentioned. Personally I don't feel that it's right to add a sales tax if you live out of state, but I'm not surprised. I enjoy shopping online though; simply for the convenience that it offers and a person can do a lot of research on any items that they're considering purchasing, which is another plus to shopping online! ;)

7. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely! I often find myself buying something online and then I'll notice it in a shop in town for double the price I paid for it! The idea is to shop around as some sites will lower the price, but put up the shipping price so you won't be getting a great deal after all.

8. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    I agree 100% about Amazon.

Shockingly. Amazon.com is a site that few people use. At least in my experience. I try to talk to my friends about the discounts that i receive on Amazon, and they are completely oblivious to it. It is kind of sad really. People are spending their hard earned money on products that are extremely over priced. If only they would do a little research they would see that there are much more affordable places to buy products.

Amazon is the best of all to me.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This will depend on the products really. Buying books on Amazon, buying tips or hotel stays, sure, it save us a lot of money. I also use sportsdirect.com for example and they have great prices, but if I go to a Nike Outlet I get better prices than if I shop there.

10. BlacKnight1090

BlacKnight1090Member

Threads:
    Amazon is the main place I purchase items from and through the years it has saved me hundreds. I can't believe it took me so long to realize the advantage of ordering online. It helps that I never had complications doing it either. You save directly and indirectly with this method. As some have said, you're not burning your gas and will more than likely avoid taxes. As a matter of fact, I like how you can avoid shipping and handeling if you spend over a certain amount. Now that's a convenient and money saving deal. The most recent item where I saved over $50 was when I ordered my PS4. It totaled $404 online and the original price was $399. Yeah...I think it saves money. Lol.

11. Wolfhyrr

WolfhyrrNew Member

Threads:
    Actually depends on what you're buying. For instance sometimes I've found some stores have certain products a bit cheaper than online, and distance was negligible. (it was a guitar in this particular case)

My advise is always check on general stores websites for prices before purchasing anything online.

12. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    It all depends on what you're buying. I was looking for packing tape, and found I could get it cheaper at the local Wal-Mart then for what Amazon offered. Of course, you always have to check around and see who has it cheapest. Sometimes the local stores will have a certain item cheaper then for what you could get online. I normally buy bulk candy online, because no where down here sells bulk candy for as cheap as Amazon does.