Can hair wax and gel cause dandruff?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by lindbergh • Oct 20, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hair gel and hair wax is commonly used by men to style their hair. I personally use Gatsby Wax to style mine. However, I've noticed that I have had dandruff lately. Could this be caused by the styling wax that I'm using on my hair? Is was or gel harmful to the hair in the long run?

2. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    Generally not, the more worry you may have will be greasy hair. That can be easily countered with anti-greasy hair shampoo.

3. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Try going a week without it and see how your hair is. If you don't have any dandruff anymore it could be from it. Are you wearing any hats or what kind of shampoo are you using?

4. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it would cause dandruff but it might make your hair a little greasy which there are plenty of shampoos for than that but besides that I don't think you don't have nothing to worry about.

5. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    I generally find that CHANGING shampoos, gels, water (travelling) or anything that touches the scalp generally cause dandruff more than the product itself.

For example, if i run out of shampoo and grab whatever else in the meantime, ill have dandruf until my scalp adjusts. Then when I go back to "my" brand, the dandruff returns until i adjust again.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have also experienced that too, but I have never really thought that changing brands can cause dandruff? I would observe more keenly next time, because they do show up suddenly even if I thoroughly rinsed my hair.

7. sammik

sammikNew Member

Threads:
    Well, I have been using Gatsby Wax and been seeing the same symptoms. First, my scalp starts itching and then you see dandruff. This has happened to me a couple of times and I just stop using the wax for few days and everything goes back to normal. Then I again start using it after a week and after 2-3 days the dandruff problem starts again.

8. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    It can if you don't rinse them before sleeping. I stopped using any hair styling products because it made my head flaky. I just condition my hair so it will be shiny and I wont need any hair products to make it manageable. Sometimes I just shave my head to save money for a long term.

9. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it does, I have used gel for my hair and made dandruff, and my wife used in the past some hair wax for her long hair and she had the same results. After a while, we gave up on using them and we are using an anti-dandruff shampoo now.

10. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, it's believed that too much oil/grease on the scalp because it will trap the dead skin cells that produce dandruff thus not allowing to be removed naturally which will create a buildup of dandruff. Therefore, if you should see an unusual buildup during using the wax, then it may be time to tone down its use.