Can I get a decent, brand new laptop for $300?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Kaylah • Dec 12, 2013.

1. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    So, my laptop broke yesterday. I was so sad. Now I have to use my phone and PS3 for internet.

Is there any place where I can get a new laptop for $300? $300 is all I can afford right now. I don't want to buy a refurbished laptop because I always have bad experiences with those. They always stop working within a few months.

What places, if any, have you seen laptops for that cheap? Thank you.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can get a brand new decent netbook for $300, but a laptop, I don't think so unless it's 2nd hand or refurbished. If you're just gonna use it for surfing the internet, then a brand new netbook can do the job.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think you might only find a netbook for that price, which in my opinion, is still pretty alright. Otherwise, you might want to look into Chromebooks which are at around $250-$300 per unit, but the downside to that is that you could only use online browser apps instead of installed programs which means it's practically just paperweight without an online connection. I've heard some people are installing Linux on it, so might want to look into that too if you think using Linux would be alright for you. I think Linux is free, so at least you wouldn't have to pay extra to try it out if you do choose to.

4. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    you still can find good working refurbished laptop. I bought mine from ebay 3 years ago and still work today. If you use them not more tahn 8 hours a day, it sure would last. if you are at home just use the cord and take out the battery while using.

5. AskJeeves

AskJeevesMember

Threads:
    You can get a google chromebook for a very small amount when you compare it to a laptop. It is around $220, and all you pretty much do is use chrome, as that is the operating system in the laptop. It is very useful and sounds perfect for the situation you are in and the mount of money you can give.

6. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    You can get a Hp Pavilion for around $300. I would also recommend that you go for a refurbished computer or one at a thrift store. They offer electronics at discounted prices that might otherwise be sold for more. Here's a list as well from Walmart -

7. FloraFauna

FloraFaunaMember

Threads:
    Best Buy has a few Asus brand laptops for under $300. I have an Asus laptop which I bought years ago for about $400 and it's never given me a day of trouble in all this time. So I'm a fan of the brand.

8. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Check walmart and best buy. When I was buying my new laptop there were plenty of introductory level laptops available between 300 and 400.

9. broknkyboard

broknkyboardMember

Threads:
    There are plenty of laptops out there for around that price if you order online. I recommend the chromebook if you're mainly going to use it for internet surfing since it's really fast and light.

10. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    Sure you can! You probably could have found 2 good ones for $300 on Black Friday. I think HP and Dell are still relatively cheap laptops with great features. I mean it kind of just depends on what you're looking for/need out of a laptop. Also, you could try waiting until after Christmas to check out some sales.

11. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

Walmart! I was just at Walmart the other day looking at the laptops and they have tons of laptops for 300 and under. The laptop I have now I brought from Walmart brand new and only paid like 290 something after taxes. It's a really good laptop and I have had it for quite some time now. I got mine in store. But If you go online i'm sure the deals are a lot better and you could probably save more.

12. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    Chrome has an offer for 250.00 brand new. I believe is a net book. Look it up. If all you need is quick surfing and maybe some streaming this will do fine. If you are a gamer, 300, will get you a good joystick and some speakers.

13. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend a chrome book if you dont intend on using it for serious work. If it is just for general web surfing and browsing then yes, a chromebook is the way to go. I would also recommend you have a look on amazon. There are quite a few laptops on there that would be worth considering.

14. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    First of all dude, you can't buy a decent brand new laptop for $300. Unless its secondhand or refurbished. If by decent you mean functional, then yes you can, but if by decent you mean performance-wise then you'll have a hard time finding one, if you can find one. My suggestion would be a PC, you can build a quite decent enough PC for $300, give or take, or you can buy a netbook instead for functionality's sake. Chromebook is probably the one I'd recommend.

15. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Not really you will get a good refurbished computer probably from the company itself. You can simply visit eBay and see what you can get yourself. I think there is so much you can get with that kind of budget. Check around and am sure you will get something.

16. Fdot

FdotNew Member

Threads:
    It really depends what you are going to use this laptop for. If you are just looking to browse on the internet and perhaps watch videos, then $300 should be sufficient to buy a reasonably good quality laptop. My advice would be to look at all the major laptop brands' websites such as ASOS, Dell and Samsung; browse the specifications and compare them to your needs. Once you have found a certain model then have a look at some reviews and price comparisons.

17. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. You can definitely get a good laptop for #300. I would suggest you go to Amazon.com. and check out one of their discount outlets. I recently bought a 15 inch Asus laptop with 4GB of RAM, a 500GB HDD, and Intel HD Graphics. I only paid $295 including tax. That was 6 months ago. So there should be even better deals on Amazon now. You might find 1 for $200.

18. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    I have to agree that checking out Wal-Mart may be a good idea as they have several entry-level laptops on the cheap, and since getting a brand new rather than refurbished one is of vital importance then that sort of limits available options.

If you're willing to go up to $350, Amazon has several new Acer, HP, and Dell laptops with Windows 8 available for new. Just searching laptop and arranging by price can display the selection. The aforementioned Chromebook is even more dramatically cheaper ($200-$250) and may be worth checking out.

19. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend you to buy the chromebook if you are looking for a brand new laptop under 300$. These are the laptops which run the Chrome OS which has been developed by Google and are great for browsing the web and for daily use. These laptops generally have a very good battery life and are able to boot up very quickly.