Can I have my ear pierced again?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by chiofthenorns • Sep 27, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    My ears used to have piercings. However, because my ears hurt whenever I wear earrings, the piercings closed. I went to a shop about a month ago to ask if they pierce ears the second time. They said that they don't. Do you know if that is possible? Where should I have my ears pierced again?

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    If your ears hurt when you wear earrings they will most likely still hurt when you wear earrings if you get them re-pierced. Did you have gold post earring when you were wearing them? If so, and it still hurt, you most likely just can't wear earrings comfortably.

Theoretically you could re-pierce your ears, but you are definitely risking a lot more scar tissue in the earlobe if you are not successful the second time. That is probably why they don't want to do it for you, because if it doesn't work out, you might end up with a very hard feeling knot of scar tissue where the piercings were done. They don't want an angry customer to come back and chew them out for something like that.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've had my ears pierced again so it's possible. Perhaps the store didn't want to do it? It also depends on your earlobes and whether you want another hole or rhe same one opened up. I know when I had mine done, she did one the same and made another hole so they were more even. (I had mine done when I was about six years old and my ears had grown, so the hole had moved by the time I was sixteen)

If they hurt, don't have it done again and use clip ons!

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks, everyone! It's true that my ears hurt even though the earrings I used to wear were hypoallergenic and gold. I think that I won't have my ears pierced again because I am afraid of taking that risk. I think that I will just stick with the clip-ons even though they also hurt after wearing them for some time.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How about wearing little stud or loop earrings? That's the kind that I wear 24/7, and my ears never hurt. Maybe your earrings are just too heavy?

6. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I have my ears pierced three times in each ear. I didn't wear earrings much in my third hole because of sports, and it ended up closing up. A few years after I opened the hole back up myself, but I wouldn't advise that unless you can do it without hurting yourself.

Could you be allergic to nickel in earrings? I am and using nickel free earrings has made all the difference. When I used the old nickel earrings, it would irritate the hole for the piercing. Sometimes it felt that there was a little ball or something there, but there wasn't. It was just from it being swollen and red.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I had mine pierced more than once in the same location. I let them close up as a kid because of infection and then several years later, had them pierced again. I'm surprised the store you went to wouldn't do it. Did they give a reason why?

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    It is quite possible to get your ears pierced the second time and I do not see any harm in it. I do not understand why did the shopkeeper tell he could not do it again. You should have asked him the reason for such a statement . I am sure any local shops would do it for you.

9. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    I had mine re-pierced twice as a child and teen! The final piercing, which I have had successfully open for about 9 years now, is slightly above where the last peircings were. I don't usually have problems with earrings going in, or pain. But there are lumps of keloid scarring where the old piercings are. My earlobe doesn't look horribly disfigured or anything, but you can kinda tell there is some scarring/discoloration, so I couldn't be an earring model, haha. You can't tell when there are earrings in - I usually wear the fish-hook style.
    If you get them pierced again, make sure to follow the proper procedures to keep the piercing clean, like soaking it in saltwater several times a day. It's a hassle but it will help it heal nice. If the problem was more like burning/itching/redness/swelling, that sounds like an allergic reaction, but a sharp pain with leakage is probably an infection.

edit: oh, I had all three piercings done at Claire's, which is a chain cheap jewelry store that does the "gun" style piercing. I have since heard that the gun is really damaging to tissues and also unsanitary, so it is better to go to a proper body piercing shop.

10. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can get your ears pierced again, although there are some risks involved. Perhaps you'll wind up with more scar tissue and then your ears will still hurt while earrings are in them. It's a situation where you have to weigh the risks against the rewards. In the end, you could just wind up wasting some money and dealing with some unnecessary pain.

11. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    What I don't get is if your ears hurt when you wore earrings after you had them pierced then why do you want to have them pierced again? Plus I would think like someone else mentioned is that there would be scar tissue that would develop on the ear if you try and pierce a second time.

12. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I would not if you ears hurt. You might get an infection this time, but it is up to you if you want to endure the pain. Ask your doctor before trying to get pierced again.