Can I Still Recover Contents Of A Corrupted Sd Card?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by lindbergh • Feb 7, 2015.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've got a problem with the SD card of my Samsung Glaxy Note 2. It can no longer be detected on any device. It happened when a colleague of mine saved a huge file (about 900mb) into the SD card via a computer. I've even tried to slap it to a card reader and attach it to my laptop but to no avail.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I can't even format the SD card since it says that no memory card is inserted. I wasn't even able to back up my files! :(

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I doubt that your colleague caused the issue. SD cards can take files of any size, as long as they'll fit on the available memory. Sounds like the contact points on the SD card are bad, which is why they're not being recognized by other devices. I'd try inserting the SD card and holding it at an angle to see if a device can recognize it. That'll give you the chance to remove files from it, but you're going to have to get a new one either way.

3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. That's possible. My SD card before got corrupted and I used some kind of software which enabled me to recover some of my pictures and files. Well, not all files have been recovered, just a few, but it worked. I'm sorry though, I have already forgotten the name of the software. It was a long time ago, but one thing's for sure, it's possible.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You CAN recover data from a corrupt SD card. But for you to be able to do that, the SD card needs to be 'recognized' by your computer. If you plug it in, even if your computer may not "read" it, you should be able to see it attached.

Where you'll find software which you might find useful if the SD card, actually is corrupt:

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    It is possible to recover files from a SD card BUT you have to make sure that the card is still being read by your computer or your phone. If your card isn't showing up on your computer or there is no sign that it is there (you can check out Device Manager on your computer and try to find if the card registers) then it might be a lost cause, especially when it's physical damage we're talking about.

6. lindbergh

Threads:
    All hope is lost then. :(

My SD card cannot be recognized by any device at all - be it a mobile phone or a PC. However, it doesn't have any physical damage because I rarely remove it from my phone. I just removed it recently and slapped it in my PC in hopes that it would be recognized.

I guess I'll have to purchase a new SD card now. Any suggestions on what I should buy?

7. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    It is best to take the SD card to the required service centre to take care of it. I do believe that there is a way to get your SD card detected through particular software. The best thing is to ask a technician help.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well if that's the case then it's probably best to just purchase a new one. But also make sure that the computer isn't totally picking it up. If your computer says "USB device not recognized" or something like that, I don't know if it does that on media cards, then it might still be recoverable otherwise it's just dead.

9. lindbergh

Threads:
    Nah, it doesn't say anything. Not even "USB device not recognized". :(

Yup, I'm gonna purchase a new memory card. I don't have the funds though so it will have to wait. The sad thing is, I haven't backed up the files so I won't be able to recover anything. Even the apps that I have purchased are saved there. Do I need to repurchase the app if it has been erased?

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, it is possible to recover lost and corrupt files/data. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to deal with corrupt devices, and have fretted about the date that was on them, and spent hours trawling the deep web looking for a way to get my files back. There are many recovery date softwares out there - some free and some paid. The only problem is that some files remain a little jumbled and corrupt even after being recovered.

11. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    It is possible yes, but you have to make sure that the card is still being read by your computer or phone. If your device detects your card then you can try doing a reformat and everything will have to be functional again, bu you lose all your data. You can try Recuva which is a free software to recover corrupted or deleted files but you have to make sure that your computer can actually read the card.

12. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yes it is. There are a lot of free software for recovering damaged or corrupted files provided that your SD card isn't totally wrecked. Like most people in this forum said, there is a chance of recovery IF your SD card is still being read by your computer or phone, otherwise just purchase a new one.

13. Davis Federer

Davis FedererNew Member

Threads:
    The data from the SD card can be recovered, provided you have to stop using the card immediately, till all the data such as photos, videos, other important stuffs etc. are recovered. The missing data is still present in the card but they are invisible to us. They are present in raw format. It can be recovered with the help of SD Card Data Recovery Software. This application would help you to recover the stored data from the raw format. And this would help you to recover all data from corrupt SD card.

#13Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2016
  14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From what I know, an SD card is corrupted when there is a physical problem like a dead track (portion of the semiconductor). So when it gets corrupted that means you cannot access the SD card anymore and you can say goodbye to your photos. That is the reason why I always tell my circle, particularly the teenagers in the family, to upload the contents of their cellphone to the computer so that if something happens then their data is safe.

15. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, its possible. Even if your SD card was burnt beyond recognition, some data would still be recoverable. You can do it yourself, but I would recommend taking it to some guy who repairs things for a living. He'll be able to do it for cheap and you'll save a lot of time.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have more experience with this than I care to acknowledge. I have never had any of my SD cards corrupt, but I have had my external flash drive force reformat before I could use it again or access anything on it, and my sister's sd flash cards all seemed to corrupt in a row, so naturally she phoned me to solve the issue. I spent ages on Google looking for free recovery software, and I finally discovered one that seemed decent and was free. Even though a lot of thing were recovered, there were files that were recovered but were inaccessible because they were corrupt.

17. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah. The bigger files (such as movies or tv series) are usually not recoverable. But, documents and similar files can be recovered.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    See. my experience has been different in that regard. But then again, maybe it just depends upon what software you use to do the recovering. Maybe it is because I did not pay for the recovery software. But when I recovered the contents of my sister's SD card, a lot of the pictures - JPEG files - were corrupt, and we will never know which photos they were. Video files such as movies and stuff were easily recovered, it seemed.

19. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhyaMember

Threads:
    Yes, there are data recovery options are available to you. The only problem is that they are incredibly expensive to get done. Only Get it done if the file you missed in the Card was very important to you and very crucial. If the data is not that important, it is better to forget it. Most of the Data might not be recoverable or may be fully corrupted. Please Decide wisely.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yeah, the prices are ridiculous, especially if you go into a retailer such as Currys or PC World to have your data recovered. You can end up paying a lot more to recover your files than you originally paid for the flash external drive or the SD card. The most convenient option is finding a free program online, and the worst that will happen with that is that it is infected with some sort of virus or spyware.