Can This Really Be Common Electric Company Policy???

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by kana_marie • Mar 17, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I recently found out our electric company has a really disturbing that is apparently legal. I'm curious as to rather this is all power companies or just this area. About 6 years ago the area had a terrible ice storm. It took out power in the entire area for at a week and some places up to 2 weeks. I recently found out that the reason the electric bills were not as low as people expected was because while the power was out every one of the customers had to pay a daily fee so that the electric company didn't lose TOO MUCH money. Mind you, no one could go to work. The town was completely shut down. So while everybody is losing money because the electric company isn't getting the power back on quicker, everybody was still having to pay for the electricity they were not getting. .. Because the electric company still wanted to make money off a service they were failing to provide. I apologize if I didn't explain the situation clearly enough. I get flustered when I'm filled to the brim with anger and disgust. It is evidently completely legal, but I don't know if it's legal on the county, state, or federal level.

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Is your electric company the only one in the area? It doesn't sound legal to me, but it's something I would definitely research, if I were you. Are there any local TV stations that have an investigative unit? Sometimes that's a good way to have an issue publicized and rectified. I'd be extremely disgusted if I were you, as well. I've got an issue with my current provider, but can't switch right now, so am just dealing with it as best I can for the time being.