Can Wal-mart Do This?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by jneanz • Mar 12, 2016.

1. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Last week, I was in a Wal-Mart self-service checkout and the cashier near the front stood next to me during the transaction and asked to see me afterwards. I thought this was strange because she went to everyone (about 4-5 people in a span of 7 minutes) and told them to see her. Anyone who kept walking, she would stop them and force them to talk to her. When I got to her desk, she talked to me about a survey and "told" me to give her name because I got good service.

While I've had much worse, I don't consider forcing people into completing forms a good move. Especially when she didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I had meds in my cart and she took the average amount of time to clear the age verification.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    That is ridiculous, I would have given her a bad review if she would have confronted me like that, demanding I give her a review. Then I would ask to speak with a manager about it, to let them know I did not appreciate their employees doing something like this. You were not under any obligation to participate in that, and it's your business if you would have instead chosen to decline doing so, and walk away.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd definitely make sure to get her name, and report her. I probably would have done so before I even left the store, since this type of tactic really irritates me. I'm sure Walmart does not condone such actions. The name of the store manager is on every Walmart receipt, along with the phone number to the store (not necessarily by the manager's name, but usually by the date and time), and I'd be sure to let the manager know how displeased I was about the behavior of the cashier. If several people did so, I'm sure action would be taken.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never heard of anything like that happening before. I guess the woman was desperate for a good review! I mean that is downright agressive. However, it is all in the approach if she had asked nicely for you to fill out a review or a form, that might have been one thing, but demanding one is something else! I don't think I have ever had a cashier at Walmart who was beyond average personally.

5. knitmehere

knitmehereMember

Threads:
    I don't think it's really encouraged for them to do those sort of things, but I know that if someone working retail is in a probation period and at risk of losing their jobs then they need positive reviews in order to keep their job. It could have just been someone desperate to not lose their job, though they definitely should have went about it in a different way.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That situation was not handled well all, it would have been better had the clear said to you that the store is doing a survey and if you don't mind when you finish would you please see me to complete the survey, they way she did it just made people anger. I don't think it was the store, I think the clerk took it on herself to approach you and the other shoppers the way she did.

7. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I was just at a Walmart today and was not asked to fill out a survey. I would not have liked this and if it is because she needs positive reviews then she sure does not know how to go about it. I would definitely report her to the manager. I wonder how many other people she did that to during her entire shift. People really do not understand customer service sometimes.

8. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Not sure if I still have the receipt but if I can't find it, I will share this on Yelp. I live in one of those communities that fought against having a Wal-Mart in the area. Currently, they're renovating the mall to get that long money back into the community. Anyone who has witnessed gentrification understands the dynamic and it's working class people that suffer.

That being said, they recently closed a 3-story Wal-Mart nearby. I felt bad because a lot of workers lost their jobs around the holidays. This was an older woman who, unlike me, may not have a college education. Part of me wanted to say something but I just wanted to be out of there without hassle.

9. LilyRaven

LilyRavenNew Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't think they can force you into taking any kind of survey. It's been my experience that those types of things are at the bottom of your receipt and it's your choice to take it or not. I have never heard of anyone doing this sort of thing and if I were you I would contact headquarters to find out if your rights were violated. That's just my opinion.

10. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:

No I have not experienced this and if it was me, I would have refused. I refuse to be force to do a survey. I have never heard of that. I know in some companies, people are graded by the amount of surveys they get. If they get a lot of positives then their metrics go up. To make you come to her is very inappropriate. I would have threaten to call corporate. It would have been better just to ask, “Would you like to do a survey for us?” If no, then just move on.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The crazy thing is, if she really needed positive reviews to keep her job, she was probably putting herself even in more jeopardy by doing that. Who is to say some people didn't get so irritated by her doing that, that they didn't end up giving her a negative review?

I also doubt that her managers were encouraging their employees to be that aggressive like that. Maybe at most they might have mentioned that they weren't getting enough response to their surveys in general.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course they cannot do that! I work with Consumer Experience and deal with satisfaction surveys, and if a dealer or store forces or coerces a customer to answer a survey it's is a big integrity violation and they can suffer several penalties for it.
    You should never allow someone to make you answer a survey. I would be very clear to this person that I would be reporting them and making sure the company took measures about her actions.

13. jackiewbu

jackiewbuNew Member

Threads:
    Good thing you got her name. You should tell her manager. There is a fine line between good customer service and harassment. They should never do that! If their manager doesn't take action I suggest going to the head of the company if she's doing this to many people.

14. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of that before. I've had employees ASK me to do a survey, but I've never been told to. I don't mind taking time and giving people good reviews on a survey if they do a good job. I believe people should be rewarded for doing a good job. But this situation is different. I doubt Wal-Mart would force an employee to do that. Probably just a rogue employee wanting to look good for her supervisors, but going about it the wrong way.

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this goes to show the store really needs to invest in training. These things do happen in stores, but they must ask permission and if you refuse, they must not pursue you. I never make eye contact and say I am in a hurry usually. You are not obliged to respond to surveys, but having been a person asking people before it is hard. It takes skill and charm, and it appears this person had neither.

16. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    So far I haven't heard about any related experience for a customer at Walmart or at any other chain grocery supplier, and I find this simply outrageous. If it created you a discomfort you should've simply walked away, even though they might have something like that specified somewhere between the lines in their TOS which probably they are supposing you agree with every time you buy from them, I can't see them suing you over the fact that you simply walked away from something like this.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that she was probably desperate for a good review but I wouldn't purposely write her a bad review just because of that.
    She might have kids at home to feed and be desperate to keep her job. Granted, she was being a jerk but I would just be slightly annoyed and then shake it off. You never know what is going on in people's lives that makes them act crazy or pushy.

18. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I am the tolerant liberal type and would not judge her harshly because the motives behind her actions are not necessarily negative. Most of us are as guilty as charged in other endeavours in life especially online. But I would demand to get from her the justification for a positive review so that I can better understand her viewpoint.

19. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Wow!! That was a really aggressive way to get people to take a survey. First off, how are you going to tell me, I got good service or not? I get to decide if the service warrants praise or not and by her aggressive tactics, points are already being deducted from this lady.