Can You Be Too Careful?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Denis Hard • Jun 9, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When buying online the wisest thing anyone would do is buy only from sites which they trust. Or sites which their friends recommend. Wouldn't buying from only 3 or 4 sites prevent you from getting the best deals on the net?

Supposing something you want to buy is cheaper on a relatively new shopping site or one which you haven't heard of before, would you buy from them or choose to get the product on a site you trust even if it will be more expensive there?

2. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    I think I would only trust a website that I knew was legit. I know that seems very cautious of me however I have had some bad experiences with some websites online (see my thread about lightinthebox)
    I tend to go by reviews online, get a feel for the good and the bad and see which outweighs which.
    I mean while I am cautious I do buy from new websites and have found some wonderful new websites through it, however I do recommend you always check the reviews online before buying from a website.
    I only use websites which use Paypal as a method of transaction because Paypal is very secure and in the even something goes wrong with your order or you did not receive it, you can always open a Paypal dispute which is generally settled quite quickly. Paypal are very strict with which websites they pair up with and often a website would rather issue a refund than have to deal with Paypal and potentially lose them as a transaction method. I'd say just look into it before you purchase anything from a website and you should be perfectly fine.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, as long as you paid with Paypal, if anything goes wrong, you will most likely be refunded. I'd rather stick with the reputable websites though, because they're already tried and tested, especially if the price difference isn't much.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I have never trust in recommended sites, whether my friends recommend these or I read some recommendation and testimonials online, which might fake or paid.

So that, before going with an online purchase I do a careful examination of the site or individual vendor to see what the payment methods are and what security measures could be associated with the transaction, who the seller is, some background story and contact information.

This latter is in what most of the fail, not providing a contact phone number nor a physical address, but sometimes a P.O. Box instead or nothing of nothing.

Actually is easier find evidence of fraudulent sites, not just trough the BBB and consumers opinion, but may other sites committed to debunking scams on the web.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    New sites can be dodgy and I probably wouldn't use them unless they came through a site like ebates as they will have been verified. One must use their common sense and check the email address and company address too to see how genuine it is.

Beside reviews which we all know can be faked, if in doubt email a query and see how they respond; efficiently and professionally or not. That's why call centers need a good reputation and many don't.

6. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah! PayPal is always the safest option. I've always been really weird about giving any credit card information out online. Last time I did that, my information was stolen. PayPal being much safer and, well, with an option to get refunds... I just see it as so much better. They also have a policy of giving the buyer the highest possibly priority!

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the lowest pricesd site offers PayPal then I'll have no hesitatin in ordering as I know I am protected by paying this way. With other sites though, I'll always look elsewhere for website reviews before deciding whether to order.

8. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I almost never use a credit card when shopping online unless I am buying from like Macys or a national chain store. When I purchase items online from a smaller company I always use a gift card and research the company ahead of time. Customer reviews are vital when it comes to shopping online and I do not think there is such a thing as being too careful.

9. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    I too will only use Paypal for any sort of online payment, I do not think you can be too careful when it comes to your bank accounts. I have previously used a separate card which I would load money onto for a specific purchase, I find that works too!

10. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighwaysNew Member

Threads:
    I would not trust a shady site, but I would trust the big online shopping sites if they had what I wanted for cheaper than a site that I trust, and if there were a lot of verifiable reviews. The ability to pay via PayPal is very important to me, as well.

11. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    I would definitely prefer the sites that I feel safe on because I would rather spend money and buy my product knowing I won't get scammed. Spending a few extra bucks is worth it for me because it's better in the long run. I never trust website I've never bought from or heard of before because you never know, there are all kinds of people out there who are just out for your money.

12. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    If you don't risk, you don't win! This is the golden rule I've been following for quite some time already. Surely I mostly spend my money in sites I trust, but I give my trust to less popular sites from time to time and to be honest God spared me the struggle of non-serious sites. I've been burnt only once with a Chinese site which said would deliver my items within 24 hours, contacted them after 48 hours of silence and told me they would ship them in 1 month. That's the worst experience I had.

13. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I will only ever buy from a website that I have either used myself, or that somebody I know has used. I don't feel comfortable parting with my money if I'm not completely sure that I am going to get the goods that I have paid for. I often think that if something seems as though it's too good to be true, it often is, and that might mean that you ultimately end up losing your money rather than getting a bargain - and that would make it a rather expensive mistake.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always hate it when I come across an item that I want, and it is not available on the websites that I usually order from and trust, and then I have to put my faith into a website that I don't know much about, especially if this new website doesn't have the option to pay for the item through Paypal. I have to do online checks on the website to make sure that it's not a scam. No, you can never be too careful, I don't think.

15. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I always preach to people about being careful. My dirty little secret, though, is that I buy on impulse. When I see something I want, regardless of price or how trusted the site is, its bought. Thats proven to be a bad idea more than once. But I'm just too weak to tell myself "no"

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It depends on the new site. If it looks trustworthy and I'm able to gather enough information on it to make a fairly secure purchase then I'd try it out at least once. However, if it's just to save a few dollars and the site looks risky, I would much rather just pay a bit more and feel secure with my payment than go through days or weeks of uncertainty. Though, like I said, I'd almost always try to give it a shot first, possibly with a cheaper item, before I completely stick only with what I'm comfortable with.

17. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    Sites like craigslist and VCI is where I won't ease up on how cautious I am. I also won't go pick something up without my husband being with me. I don't know anyone personally that had a really bad experience. But I know that you can't be sure of who you're dealing with.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    When it comes to websites like Craigslist, I am not cautious. I just avoid them altogether. I have heard and seen to many bad things about Craigslist to even consider using it. The website has even been used to facilitate murder a few times too. I have been watching some internet-linked murder documentaries lately, and Craigslist always seems to crop up. I'd rather not.

19. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I saw the movie, "the craigslist killer" a while back, but didn't really get into it. If there were any particularly good ones you would recommend, let me know? I'm a documentary fanatic, lately.

But, on topic, I want to avoid craigslist, vci, and facebook "for sale" pages. But sometimes I really need something and am so limited in my budget that I pretty much have to check out those sites. I'm just lucky to have a husband who absolutely refuses to let me go alone. I probably wouldn't have the nerve, anyway.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    Did you? I didn't even know that there was a movie made under that title lol. I have just seen a handful of random murder crime documentaries, and they were all episodes from different murder documentaries series, that involved the use of Craigslist in a big way. Craigslist seemed to be a catalyst, so I just stay away altogether. Your husband is right never to let you go alone!!!