Can You Build Up A Resistance To Products?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Pat • Oct 4, 2012.

1. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you stockpile lotions and shampoos to save money when on sale, you might be wise to reconsider this practice. Over time, exposure to light can reduce their efficacy. The ingredients can start to degrade after the use-by date has passed. Your once magical lotion or shampoo starts to lose its magic.

2. MeliciousMona

MeliciousMonaNew Member

Threads:
    This is an interesting question. I asked my esthetician the same question in regards to my facial products. I have been using the same skincare line for almost 4 years and my skin is not so magical anymore. Her response was that she typically doesn't stay with the same products for long enough. using a bottle and switching depending on what her needs are. Which I guess is alright, if you have access to all those products all the time...As for me I have to make a special plan to switch.

My hairdresser on the other hand always recommends to me the same product. And at the change of season time, she supplements with a few targeted treatments. I trust both of these ladies. But I also think variety is the spice of life. So if something isn't working it's magic anymore- feel free to switch it out. You can always rotate between a few magical products:)

3. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    I believe you can build up a resistance to products. The more you use them, the more your body gets used to them. Thus, you build up a resistance.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There seems to be two issues in this thread. Products losing their efficacy over time and building up resistance to products. I was told as a kid that you can build up resistance to body deodorant therefore you should alternate. I have no idea if this is true, but I still do it to this day. I never buy the same deodorant after I just finished using it.

I would imagine that many stockpile items would lose their efficacy over time. Even if something is a good deal, I never stockpile. I just don't like seeing a lot of stuff in my cabinets. If something is a can't miss deal, then I may buy one or two additional items, but I will hide it from myself. I know that I have them, but I don't want to see them. Strange, I know. :eek:

5. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    Parker!! I do that with deodorant too, I thought it was just me! I think you can build up a resistance to products, especially those that are used for a certain thing (anti-dandruff shampoo). I was told by my local pharmacist that we can build up a resistance to anything, shampoo, medicine etc. She said that's why you may notice the more you wash your hair, the more it actually seems to need washing! She said she has also known instances of children becoming intolerant to head lice lotion (which is how we got on the subject in the first place).

6. untitled

untitledMember

Threads:
    What exactly are you building a resistance too for things like soap and shampoo? If something is disinfecting it will continue to be like that despite how long you use it I think.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suppose I should start switching my shampoo too. The problem is that I love my current shampoo! I also love my body wash. My skins feels so great after a shower. Darn!

8. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    Untitled - when you build a resistance the product in question becomes less effective. Like the example I used above, if you use the shampoo constantly there is a chance it won't clean your hair as well as it once did. So while yeah, it still works, you are only getting half the benefit.

Parker - I think I will join you in shampoo switching! The pharmacist said that it is important when using anything, shampoo, conditioner, lotions, that you only use the amount directed.

9. MeliciousMona

MeliciousMonaNew Member

Threads:
    I am intrigued by this thread.

With the mix of products becoming less effective overtime and with prolonged use, I am looking forward to trying new products. It's almost as exciting as finding a new product that you love! It's going to be strange not smelling the same as I have for 2 years.

10. MellowGuy

MellowGuyMember

Threads:
    I've never thought about this topic towards shampoos. However, I have definitely developed resistance to almost all products I take internally. I suppose the solution would be similar for both, which is to occasionally cycle between different products or versions of the product after a month or so. After a few months you can come back to the product (in this case shampoo) and it's effectiveness might even be enhanced as compared to continuous use.

11. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I have to change my cosmetics very often because my skin and hair get used to them very easily. That means that, for instance, I have to change my shampoo every three months because it isn't working on me any more.

12. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    This is a very good question, and I guess its a possibility if you use the product on a daily basis. I know that this can happen when it comes to prescription and over the counter drugs as well as vitamins. For awhile these can work effectively but over time its as if the body adjust to them and builds a resistance. I guess the same thing can happen with beauty products as well.

13. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I think on stocking things such as lotions, you just have to follow what is written on the product description. Most of the time there will be a line that says "keep out of reach of children. .blah blah blah" and "do not store in a warm temp blah blah blah. ." You do this you protect your product from losing it's efficacy.

14. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I believe this can happen, it is certainly happening to headlice in the UK as they have developed a a resistance to the treatments we have been using for years. :)