Can You Cook?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by tonyb • Jan 16, 2017.

1. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    It baffles me to learn some people can't cook simple foods they eat everyday at home. I was having a chat with a colleague and somehow we discussed about foods and preparation. It was surprising to learn my friend can't cook any type of food no matter how simple the food maybe. Agreed there are many types of foods I cannot cook but the simple and often eaten ones in my home I am able to prepare them. That's more reason if I'm away I can prepare food myself without a visit to any eateries around. My friend keeps buying and eating out every time he needs food, which is far from being economical in my view.

2. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I do agree that buying out food isn't economical. I was the same when I did not know how to cook. Though I know how to cook some food, I was not able to cook other types back then. But when I learned how easy it is to cook and how much you can save if you would just cook food at home, we started to ban restaurants and just eat at home instead of eating out.

3. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I know how to cook and I'm highly adept at cooking with egg. First of all, eggs are very cheap, fill you up, and go well with so many things so you never get tired of it. You can cook Mexican style eggs, chorizo with scrambled eggs so the entire egg also has the chorizo flavor, sausages mixed with scrambled eggs, eggs and beans, omelet, eggs with white or yellow cheese, bits of bacon mixed with the eggs, and the list goes on. The best part is, all the ingredients used cost less than a dollar according to the amount you added.

4. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I could cook rice, fry the cooked rice. I could fry eggs, fish. I could also grill beef meat, pork, fish. I thin that's all I could do as far as cooking is concerned. I don't bother the other foods preparation for I have the best cook in town. It is my wife who does everything to cook. I am just doing some cooking if I want to just to make use of my time or even to help my wife a little of her daily chores.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my wife and I moved to an apartment, I already knew that she doesn't cook. However, I did not expect that it was literally which means she couldn't even cook rice. Anyway, we were eating out for a week or two when we had the agreement that we should be cooking at home because our budget was obviously depleted. And unfortunately, it so happened that I have a higher aptitude in the kitchen so the responsibility fell on my shoulders. Based on our estimates, the monthly budget for food in the kitchen is consumed within 2 weeks if we just eat out and never bothered to cook. Although now we still eat out once in a while but that's more for leisure and not for necessity.

6. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Cooking is my passion and I try new recipes every now and then. In fact Internet is a great help for me to lean new styles of cooking. I am also not keen to dine out when I can make delicious and healthy food at home. As OP rightly said eating outside is not economical but it is not good for our health too. Foods in restaurants usually contain a lot of taste enhancers and we never know if its fresh or not.

But once in a while eating at a good restaurant is not that bad. But it never gives that satisfaction of a homemade food. I started cooking around 15 years ago when I had to stay alone due to my job demands. I realized that it is really a pleasure to cook our food the way we wish.

7. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I love cooking and trying out new dishes. I am yet to master all types of cooking but I do good with most. I cook three meals a day and each meal is a variety plus I donot repeat same dish in a week so that pretty much sums my interest in cooking.

I find cooking very cost effective than eating out. As a week's supply of veggies can easily be bought at a day's eating out.

We do eat out occasionally but primarily I cook at home. I buy vegetables and other supply in bulk to save cost.

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I know how to cook as I have a family who I must cook for and buying out everyday can get very expensive. Many different dishes can be made with the simplest of foods such as eggs, rice, beans, lentles, soup, and so on. These simple foods can be made differently by adding different ingredients and they are simple to make.

9. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Cooking takes time this
    makes me stay off cooking sometimes especially when I have to attend to many jobs within a short time. In the meantime I'd visit local restaurants for a dine in or out whenever I need food. One fact, I have seen that some food houses prepare real quality and delicious meals. It's snappy going there to get fed, you save your cooking time. I do this when I am so tied down with many assignments or just being lazy.

10. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    My hubby is the one who cooks food but I also know how to cook a few dishes. Cooking food is easy and can be fun. I love eating out because of the only reason that we won't get tired of cooking and cleaning after we cook and eat, but I think eating at home is healthier and will save you a lot rather than eating out. Buying and eating out is what most busy people do since they don't have the time to cook for themselves, but I think bringing your own food is better and healthier than buying one out.

11. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I am from a family of chefs so I can cook. I followed a different path on career because I found working on a kitchen stressful but I do love cooking. I just don't want a career based on it. I want to cook to eat and enjoy cook and not to cook for hundreds of people while being pressured and stressed.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I learned how to cook from watching and asking questions of my family when young. Now I go online and ask away too for things new to me. I like shopping for cooked food at Safeway, I love their tenders they got on Safeway $5 Fridays. I buy frozen foods too and we have a good meal with frozen foods. Guess if your friend can afford it why not enjoy dining out.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My wife did not know how to cook well but she learned it soon after our marriage (I was her guide then) now the situation has come that she thinks that she owns the kitchen where I am not allowed to enter. She thinks that I will mismanage her kitchen so keeps me out of it. I know I can cook many items well but I am afraid I will forget if my wife treats me the way she does right now :)

14. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I like to cook, and try out different dishes in my spare time.
    In my opinion, most of the foodies will be a good cook as well. I myself being a foodie, always challenge my culinary skill to chisel it further. People around me are happy with my experiments barring couple of occasions.

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    To be frank I am not a foodie but I learned how to cook during my hostel days. Although we were not supposed to cook in our hostel room but I had a small electric heater and started cooking a couple of items of my choice when I was hungry during studies late at nights. Later I was posted in South India so I used to cook my favorite North Indian dishes on weekends when I had no plans to eat out.

16. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I have been cooking/gardening/gathering/hunting/fishing since I was 6(and helping before that), I think that these skills all combined make me a good cook and gave me the knowledge to cook many different things in many different situations. I am really good at coming up with dishes from what we have, I do the cooking in our home, and we really only eat out if it is a special occasion (birthdays, anniversaries, etc,,,). To me growing up around cooking and learning to cook from a very small age sometimes it baffles me also that some people do not know how to cook, but I understand why, people are from all different places and learn different things throughout their life.

17. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I can't say that I'm a master chef, but I can say that I certainly do not starve. :p

Whenever I decide to cook I always do something interesting and delicious (according to the criticism of my family, my girlfriend and my friends ;)). In general, I like to search for recipes on the internet because they are always practical and offer great results to the palate.