Can You Ever Have To Many Neutral Colored Clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Mockingbird • Mar 8, 2015.

1. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I have several pieces of clothing that are close in color. I always have a black skirt and black pants and jeans. I have a couple different grey pairs and some beige pairs of pants in different styles. I just think it is easier to Accessorize or mix and match if you stay in a similar color range. But can to neutral colors go to far? Last year I picked up a couple of darker green shades, Moss and sage, they seem to be new neutrals as well as the tried and true blue jean shades.

Is wearing similar shades year around to limiting style wise?

2. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I think it sounds easy to wear and match, but quite boring year round. I have my staple black pants, skirt, tank, sweater and dress, but I like to wear colors according to season. I wear warm shades and earth tones in the fall and winter and very bright colors in the spring and summer.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I pretty much have only neutrals in my wardrobe. Many people find it boring, but I'm always attracted to that sort of color. Not only it matches way more stuff, but it gets older and uglier later... it lasts longer and also I don't get bored of them so quick. I also think I look nice with neutral colors on, so that is most of my wardrobe and I can never get enough neutrals!

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really. I don't think about fashion and people's impression on what I wear. I think about my own comfort and how wearing particular shades make me feel about myself. I tend to wear a lot of black, blue and red clothes. Usually, I wear these shades in one getup. People notice how I wear black more than other colors but I ignore them and carry on with my own style. This is my life, anyway. I should enjoy my own clothes the way I see fit.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It all depends on what you prefer for your clothing style. There's nothing wrong with wearing neutral colors year round, even though others might say that's a boring choice. I've seen people pull off such a look with great results, though. You don't always need to be bold and colorful after all.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that this can save you a lot of money. The reason why most people spend a lot of money on clothes is because they buy a wide range of colors which clash should they choose to . . .

But neutral colors are entirely different. You can match them virtually with any color(s) and you'd still look classy.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think you couldn't go wrong with having lots of neutral colored clothes but it's always nice to balance them with some colorful items just so it doesn't end up making your whole wardrobe too monotone. I find that having some nice small items just for a nice accent and a pop of color is good enough so you don't really have to buy too many of them.

8. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I see why people use certain colors during certain seasons but I believe that certain colors look good on people (like if you are a summer or winter skin type) and so this would mean you could wear these colors all year round. Because I have the habit of buying what I like and not necessarily what looks good on me, I have not yet applied this principle. But lately I have been researching minimalist lifestyles and agree that to simplify is better all around.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Neutrals will always sell well and are much easier to wear and suit more people. I like my neutrals and don't have an issue with them. I have some colors but I wear them when I am in the mood. Some people wear certain colors because it makes them feel good even if it doesn't suit them, so it is about what makes you comfortable.

10. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    All I have is neutral colored

so no hehe...

11. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:

Neutrals are great. A person can not have enough neutrals. Neutrals go with everything. They can be paired over and over again with other articles of clothing. Different styles and a range of colors will match well with neutrals. By having them you will have such a range that you will have an unending variety of clothing to wear over and over through the month, like a different outfit each day. I especially like not wearing something for a while and then pulling it out again and paring it with something new I bought. It freshens the looks.

12. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I think you can get away with having a lot of neutral colors if you have accessories to spice things up. Wear a splash of color in a handbag, scarf, or jewelry. Me, I like to wear brightly colored shirts, but always wear dark colored bottoms. I bought a pair of bright pink shorts at a thrift store one time because I needed something cool to wear, and I felt really self conscious wearing them. So I'm back to neutral bottoms at least.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to see this man every week when I used to go to church, and he wore the same black shirt and pants every week. If you saw him you would think either he wears the exact same outfit everyday or he has lots of them stored in his closet. So I think it doesn't matter whether you have too many neutral clothes, after all it's your preference and that's what most important.

14. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting! I haven't thought about this, but you know, my closet is full of neutral color. I don't have bright colors in them, no orange, no red, no blue! I have black color most, and then neutral in cream, or light color ones.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know; I really think that it is just easier to wear whatever catches your eye and flatters your frame. Sometimes it sucks when you see something that you think might look fabulous on you, only to try it on and have it look terrible on your frame. Sometimes that concerns color. One color may look good, and the same shirt in another color may look terrible.

16. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    I think its important to have a nice mix. The more clothes you have that are neutral the easier it is to mix and match.I always pair my neutral outfits with colourfuls accessories. Often I will take a plain top and bright coloured heels and jeans. Its not too many neutral clothes I think the question should be can you have too many clothes.

17. Harmony Lassen

Harmony LassenNew Member

Threads:
    I think you definitely can. I myself love grey, and most of my wardrobe is made of clothes that are grey, or grey and black, or black and white. Sometimes I just want a little bit of color. I try to gravitate away from neutrals now, and add color to my wardrobe.

18. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    It may be easier but it does sound kind of boring. (No offense.) I'm one with eclectic tastes so sometimes I like to "venture out in the wild" and throw things together that "normally" may not look "right", but I make it work. Clothes and colors should be a reflection of you and how you feel. Are they? If they aren't, then it's time to do something.;)

19. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Neutral colours like beige and white make me look dreadful. I prefer vivid shades or black. I think that the majority of my clothes are some shade of blue. It's true that you can never have enough basic garments in colors that go with everything though.